SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Got One! -- Mazda shifted 143 more 30th Anniversary Miatas to the US
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got One! -- Mazda shifted 143 more 30th Anniversary Miatas to the US Login/Join 
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. I've been able to enjoy a Miata by proxy a few times. It still continues to be lightning in a bottle.

I think I'd need to do the seat mod to one if I ever purchased. Torso is just too long.

I look forward to the first day home pictures.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Mazda added an adjustable steering wheel to the Miata in the last year or two.
Have read a few people that were previously 'too big' to fit are more accommodated by it now. May make a few give it another attempt?

I'm 6'0" & fit like a glove Wink
Maybe one day, either a late NB or an ND Club for me.

The LFX V6 conversions look like fun too.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15152 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

I've had some very enjoyable 2 seaters over the years starting with a '58 TR3A. Had a '96 Miata and as most all here have said they are a blast. Currently have a '03 S2000 in its 16th year of ownership. If it ends up being retired a new Miata would surely be on my top 3 list. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
I once got a chance to meet a Mazda design engineer in the early 90s. He worked in the California studio that the Miata came from. I’ll always remember his comments that they wanted to design a car that gave all the fun of those small British sports cars (MG,Triumph) without being a problematic British sports car, and how it took years to convince Mazda that there was a market.

This guy??? Tom Matano

No, wasn’t him. I can see him in the minds eye, he was passing through and visiting with various Georgia Tech auto teams. Must have been in 93 when I was doing the electric conversion vehicle.
Damn if I can remember the name, though.

Digging through articles and pictures, I know it wasn’t Bob Hall or Mark Jordan, so I’m guessing one of the staff engineers.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Congrats, welcome to the club. Join Maita.net if you haven't.

My first, a 2000, I was watching sit on a repo lot for a few months overpriced at $8,900. Then one day I noticed they dropped the price to $5,900, closer to its value. I went in test drove it and had my mechanic do a used car review on it. When I went to take it back I offered them $4,500... they took it!

100k fabulous miles and some performance mods later it was pretty used up. Needing upholstery, a top, paint job and using oil. So what to do?... I bought another one just like it. Red with Blk top and Interior... only 17 years newer!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Awesome car, like you I have wanted since '89. Once you get it we expect a review.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of largebore1
posted Hide Post
I can not figure out why anyone would want a Miata!!!! Under sized under powered car. Can't figure out why anyone would buy any Mazda not the most popular cars in the USA. At one point Mazda was considering no longer selling cars in the USA perhaps still are. Sales are not the greatest.

THERE'S NO EXHILARATION LIKE ACCELERATION

Posts: 41 | Location: South | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by largebore1:
I can not figure out why anyone would want a Miata!!!! Under sized under powered car. Can't figure out why anyone would buy any Mazda not the most popular cars in the USA. At one point Mazda was considering no longer selling cars in the USA perhaps still are. Sales are not the greatest.

Wow... nice contribution largebore.

I would have a Miata, Boxster, or some kind of sports car in a heartbeat if DOH ever gets around to fixing up the roads in northern WV.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well aren't you just a barrel of sunshine!!! Roll Eyes

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wasn't that Mitsubishi that considered leaving the US market? I see a lot of Mazda's on the road and the owners I've talked to love their cars.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
I have loved the Miatas since they came out and would love to have one- especially one of the originals as pictured just above.

I flew back East several years ago to visit a friend and was waiting to meet him. He comes tooling around the corner in a Miata and I almost screamed- "You BASTARD!" But at least I got to drive it. Great little car, super fun.

I'd buy a new one in a heartbeat.

Posts: 7342 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'd have a Miata over many bigger/more powerful cars.
My intent for wanting to get one a few years ago, when the ND debuts, was to get back into Autocross.
When I was racing in college, the Miatas would keep up with/beat Corvettes/Camaros/Mustangs on the tight Solo II courses.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15152 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
the Miata is wonderful, the 124 brother does have my vote though.

All that said, they don't have twisty roads out here so meh no value for me to get one.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
I've never cared much for the Miata line and always teased folks who had one.

This newest iteration is a much more impressive looking vehicle. Dare I say aggressive looking? And the hard-top model is really sweet. Looks to me like an old Datsun 240!

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats. We owned a 2008 NC w/PRHT and loved it. 150K trouble free miles, mostly with the top down. Went and drove the ND when it first hit showroom floors and liked it a lot. Would be happy to own another; and may one day.

When you take delivery, kindly keep us apprised of how the car behaves.

We trudge on.

Posts: 123 | Registered: March 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

What specifically did you not like about the Miata when you drove one?!

How many miles did you drive it in which you were able to develop your informed opinion?

Were you able able to drive it on twisty roads, long straight-away highways, at an auto-x or maybe an open track event, etc.? What model years have you driven, and did you find any given m-y 'better' than the other's?

During your Miata outings, did you wring out the motor all the way to red-line at every gear?!

Posts: 3465 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Congrats! A beautiful little car, just wish I could fit in one! Frown

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Very cool little car, congrats on getting the wait list call. I like the color. Have fun when you get it.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I wanted one bad when I bought my first new car in 1990 but, I was a little to big for it. I'm 6'2" and my knees were pressed under the steering wheel making it hard to steer.

I ended up with a Honda CRX SI, no regerts.

Posts: 5301 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mazda makes very good cars.
You should get out more often. Roll Eyes

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post