SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for UV protection sunglasses recommendations.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for UV protection sunglasses recommendations. Login/Join 
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted
Stopped into Best Buy this evening and looked at the security camera display right at the enterance.

Played with the magnetic mounting camera and most likely laid my Oakley SI Ballistic Crosshair sunglasses down.

They obviously walked away.

Looked all through the store and realized that I am getting too old and memory too short to be trusted with nice sunglasses.

Thinking I would like to go with good cheap ones with UV protection.

Greatful to all suggestions, would have been greatful for someone to have turned them over to store security or customer service, but that didn't happen... Grrr.

So what do you recommend for an old guy like me?

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cheap sunglasses protect your eyes cheaply. They don't block all UV rays and usually aren't optically correct causing eye strain.

Buy a pair of Maui Jims and don't look back.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Wiley X has some mil spec glasses with great impact resistance. They are not cheap but they are not Oakley priced either.

Posts: 4106 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thawed out,
thrown out
posted Hide Post

Can you pull off the head nod though?

Posts: 124 | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ Tanto uses them. Nuf said.

Q

Posts: 26378 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
Wiley X has some mil spec glasses with great impact resistance. They are not cheap but they are not Oakley priced either.

This. I’m a huge fan of Wiley X. I have to have ANSI rated glasses at work with wrap around or gasket seal. The Wiley X glasses do all this, with polarized lenses, in a stylish package. I have them for shooting, work, and leisure. Very impressed all around.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I’m a Maui Jim fan. I have one of those straps that allow them to hang on my neck when indoors. $90 at Costco.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AO sunglasses are the ones issued by the air force to pilots (or they used to). I had a friend that used to pick me up ones from the PX.

$35 from the PX $45 from Amazon.

come in grey or green lenses
98% UVA/100% UVB Protection

I also have Oakley and Maui Jims

They are as good and a fraction of the price.

I keep them in the glove box for when I need them.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Maui Jim and Costa are all I wear these days.

Native also makes quality shades at a slightly lower price point.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Kimber, go to a eyeglass retailer and start trying on frames. You’ll be able to see what’s best for you. Also, see what fits best when you wear them on top of your head. If you get into the habit of sliding glasses to the top of your head you’re less likely to leave them some where.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Go to the optical department at Costco. They will fit you with good quality sunglasses, either prescription or non-prescription, at reasonable cost.

'Nother suggestion: the nylon cord that slips over the temples. Your sunglasses can then dangle over your chest when you go into a store.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
I picked up a pair of Coleman polarized with a brown lens in Walmart. They have 100% UVA & UVB protection.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Is there anyway a costco non-member can buy sunglasses? Do they allow a one time guest visit or such?

Posts: 5619 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post