SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Crud! I think I've got another hernia.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crud! I think I've got another hernia. Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I've been feeling a pulling feeling in my groin and a recent bout of coughing made it worse. I had the right side inguinal hernia fixed in January 2012. This time it's the left side. Must be a genetic weakness or something. Hopefully I can schedule it before work starts up in spring. Ugh, what's this going to cost me? I think it was about $3600 back in 2012.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The doctor who butchered my inguinal hernia operation in 2010 stated that most people who have a hernia on side will likely have to get the other side repaired at a later date and time.

I followed up with two other doctors regarding his statement, and they said it was true.

I hope it is just a pulled muscle, and it heals itself.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^ This. Mine were 5 years apart, almost to the day!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Mine convinced me to do both at the same time just as a precaution. Speedy recovery Mark.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
In the last 25 years I have had four hernia operations. Two on each side.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:
The doctor who butchered my inguinal hernia operation in 2010 ...
Can you tell what happened? Butchered sounds pretty bad. What should I watch for? The guy did a great job on mine in 2012. I got the patch. No pain or complications.

Thanks friends. Big Grin

Update: Yesterday I felt a squirmy, squishy something under my skin and the lump enlarged. But this morning it's back to normal. It seems intermittent. Confused

Oh, and the appointment with the surgeon is set for December 7.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Update: Yesterday I felt a squirmy, squishy something under my skin and the lump enlarged. But this morning it's back to normal. It seems intermittent.

^^^^^^^^^
Reducible hernia

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perfection is impossible,
Trying is not…
posted Hide Post
I got my first hernia after moving 35 50cal cans full of ammo. Used to move 55gal drums of paint thinner and never had a problem...

"Isn't it weird that in AMERICA, our flag & our culture offend so many people - but our benefits do not"

Posts: 516 | Location: OKC | Registered: October 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not a doctor and I don't play one on TV but I have had good luck with inversion and lower abdominal work! No MD no $$!

Posts: 141 | Location: Ma. | Registered: November 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First one at 9 months. Other side in my 40s.

Posts: 700 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shotgun Zeke
posted Hide Post
I had one repaired in July 2012. So far no following repair required on the left side.

Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Rifle Instructor

Posts: 640 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Yep, it's a hernia. The surgery is scheduled for 12/17 as long as I am negative for the 'Rona.

Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
Yep, it's a hernia. The surgery is scheduled for 12/17 as long as I am negative for the 'Rona.

Good luck! I just had a double hernia repair last week. Piece of cake, although I could have done without the free shave.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I wish you good luck Mark from another double hernia member. I just remember the surgery was a breeze but the shaved area and stitches itched a lot afterwards. I'll toss in a small prayer your way for an uneventful overnighter.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:

Good luck. Will be thinking of you. Don't lift anything heavier than a glass of eggnog for a little bit alright Wink

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
He's doing the robot-assisted laparoscopic procedure. He said I could most likely drive the very next day.
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
Good luck. Will be thinking of you. Don't lift anything heavier than a glass of eggnog for a little bit alright Wink

I'm off for a little while so I should be fine. Smile I'm planning to use the time to expand my license for pest control. I may just go for the perimeter and shrub control (outside stuff only).

Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
He's doing the robot-assisted laparoscopic procedure. He said I could most likely drive the very next day.
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:

I'm off for a little while so I should be fine. Smile I'm planning to use the time to expand my license for pest control. I may just go for the perimeter and shrub control (outside stuff only).

Email me if you want to chat.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

posted Hide Post
Last year I got an umbilical hernia.
I was a power lifter and have been a heavy mining equipment mechanic for 45 years and wrestled more 100+ lb. parts than anybody I know.
I picked up an 8lb. hand sledge from the floor and blew it out.
I swung a 20#er for 45 minutes today, go figure.

Posts: 366 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Yikes. I got the price today. $7030 for everything. I may have to put this on hold. Eek

Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yikes. I got the price today. $7030 for everything. I may have to put this on hold. Eek

Yeah I about died when I found out mine would cost upwards of $12k before insurance, about $3500 after insurance.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post