SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Game Camera As Home Security Camera Report
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Game Camera As Home Security Camera Report Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
For some time I have had a nice Moultrie Game Camera at my home positioned as a home security camera.
1. It takes a lot of time to peruse still images of various things that might have triggered it.
2. Unless you get the camera set up where nothing else but people trigger it, you get a lot of images of leaves, branches, etc.
3. The trigger time, even on a good camera, seems to lag the delivery people that show up from time to time. Direct full view shots of the person are not usable as they tend to be in full motion and leaving the image frame.
4. At night, a delivery person recorded was not distinguishable. Blurry face, no way to see who it was. Therefore, the image is of no value for security.

It has been nice to see that no one has been on my property but my family, and delivery people.

I am, after some time, calling this experiment useful but a failure. I will be selling the camera and stand.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
You need a game camera that takes video and not pictures. In the video, you can start and stop for making a print.

While you may get a few videos of leaves and branches moving, there is not other way for the price.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
This sounds like a job for one of the various Ring cameras. Do you have a wifi signal that reaches where you want to mount the camera (or could you use a range extender to get the signal there)?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I started with a web cam, then moved to an old I-pod touch using the cam-of-web app.

I graduated to real security cams by Hikvision and Dahua. Much happier

I also avoid wifi --- wired PoE is much better.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10909 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post