SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Zamberlan Boots?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zamberlan Boots? Login/Join 
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted
I need a new pair of hiking boots.

Does anyone have any experience with (Zamberlan) them, my 12 year old Merrells are still good but the left one is no longer water proof, and the new ones I tried on were no comparison to my old ones.

I tried Vasque and they are now made in China, and are small and narrow, so not liking them now either.

Thanks,

Archerman

Posts: 2476 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Zamberlans are top notch! I've owned several pairs over the years and they're some of my favorites. They're not the cheapest but they're worth it. The European boot companies still make the finest boots in the world.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
The best, longest lasting, best traction, quietest, most comfortable (after a painful break-in) hiking boot I have ever owned was a pair of leather Vasques...but I'm told they have declined in quality since manufacturing was moved to China.

Several years ago, while on a lengthy quest to replace them, I talked to various hiking boot salespeople and Zamberlans were repeatedly praised. But as I never got to see/ try one in person I held off on buying a pair. From talking with the various sales people, like most European footwear, Zamberlans supposedly ran on the narrow side of widths.

If you decide to buy a pair be sure and let us know how you like them!

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Zanberlan and Lowa are all I buy anymore.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Depending on how serious your hiking needs are and whether you are willing to invest in a set of custom-fitted hiking boots, and of course your budget, that should last you a lifetime (if your feet don't change in size too much), you might consider:

Limmer Boots

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
Depending on how serious your hiking needs are and whether you are willing to invest in a set of custom-fitted hiking boots, and of course your budget, that should last you a lifetime (if your feet don't change in size too much), you might consider:

Limmer Boots

Great to see domestic manufacturing, unfortunately, they only make old-school, heavy weight boots.

To the OP, do you know your foot profile? What's the use of the boot? You need to buy the boot that fits your foot. While there's gonna be many posters recommending their favorite brand/model, that'll all be for naught if your foot doesn't fit.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
Here are my old ones (my google-fu worked for a change).

https://emporium.ellewarehouse...ine/Listing_i2657166

Just for hiking and short day hunts, and during the winter, so basically an all around boot.

9.5 and a wide width is what I prefer, I ordered a pair of Vasque sundowners, and they were small and narrow and I ordered a size larger than I normally wear, but in the Zamberlan some of them can be ordered in a wide width, and if i order them from Zappos I can send them back no problem.

These are the ones I was looking at.

https://www.zamberlanusa.com/p...ntry-boots-dark-grey

Those custom ones are definitely worth a look as well.

Archerman

Posts: 2476 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t shop for boots by brand, I buy them based on fit. You can have the nicest boots out there but if they don’t fit well they are going to suck for you.

I had that issue with kenetrek boots, they were the worst 600 dollar hunting boots I ever had.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by archerman:
Here are my old ones (my google-fu worked for a change).

https://emporium.ellewarehouse...ine/Listing_i2657166

I see you live in N. Idaho. You might want to drive to Spokane and go to REI here. I looked and they carry the boot you're looking at. You'd have the chance to try them on before you buy.

Jim

Just for hiking and short day hunts, and during the winter, so basically an all around boot.

9.5 and a wide width is what I prefer, I ordered a pair of Vasque sundowners, and they were small and narrow and I ordered a size larger than I normally wear, but in the Zamberlan some of them can be ordered in a wide width, and if i order them from Zappos I can send them back no problem.

These are the ones I was looking at.

https://www.zamberlanusa.com/p...ntry-boots-dark-grey

Those custom ones are definitely worth a look as well.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Somebody mentioned custom boots earlier in the thread if you’re interested in that route, take a look at Lathrop and sons. When I’m more recovered from my broken ankle (walked 2 miles today mostly pain free without crutches), that’s the route I’m probably going to go.

As far as other companies you may be interested in, I’ve had good luck with schnees for several years and put them through serious use during sheep and mountain goat hunts.

You might also look at the lowa Tibet or the lowa bighorn hunters.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Surrounded by
Fruit Loops
Picture of Baran
posted Hide Post
I have that same pair of Zamberlan boots. They are awesome. Well worth the money.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Happy Valley, MA | Registered: November 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I would take a serious look at Lowa.

https://www.lowaboots.com/mens/hunting

When looking for a new pair of tall hunting boots a few years ago I purchased the Zamberlan 980 Outfitter GTX and the Lowa Hunter GTX Evo to compare side by side. I found that the Lowa were more comfortable and felt higher quality and better built. I've been wearing them for ~5 years now and they have not let me down.

I wanted to like the Zamberlan but they had an odd shape to them so they didn't fit as well.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Only boots I wear are Lowa's and Euro made not Asian Meindls..

Posts: 2303 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
As many others have said Z boots are great. I have two pair and they will last me for the rest of my time on this rock. They are comfortable, tough and do not breakdown easily. If you go that route you will not be disappointed. Some others have suggested good boots also in the same league as the Zam's.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
The best hikers that I have ever used are a pair of Adidas Terex GTX mid hikers. I got them on sale several years ago (about 12 years)and was initially skeptical.
However, I've now got some serious miles on them on trails ranging from the AT to Minnesota's SHT. They breathe, were waterproof and were extremely light, while still providing excellent support and grip. The right shoe is no longer waterproof so I went to replace them but they are discontinued. The new Terex shoes look flimsy and cheap so I looked elsewhere.

I've had Vasque hikers before but will no longer buy them.

I bought a pair of Salomon Quest 4D 3 GTX that seem to be decent. I like the unique lacing system where I can vary the pressure on different parts of the foot. I've worn them in winter and they seem to work well.
I just hope that they breathe well in the summer. That's the main reason that I wanted a part-fabric upper. Full leather uppers just don't breathe as easy.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I put hundreds and hundreds of hiking and backpacking miles on a pair of Zamberlan Civetta GTX boots 10-15 years ago. They were great boots.

I got older and my foot shape changed and they stopped working for me.

Now I have a pair of Scarpa Barun GTX boots that I am equally happy with. Scarpa is another Italian outdoor shoe company of similar quality and cost to Zamberlan.

I also have a pair of insulated Hanwag boots I really like (they make uninsulated boots, too). Hanwag is a German company.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been wearing Asolo TPS 520 GV boots for the past 14 years. My feet love them. I keep 2 pair in service and alternate wearing them. I just bought the latest model: TPS 520 GV EVO which I'm breaking in. Not cheap but money well spent.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Never tried Zamberlan boots. I have had Lowa trail runners and thought they were great. The hiking boot I have now is worth looking at: LL Bean Cresta Hiker. Gore-Tex lining, genuine Vibram sole, made in Romania. Right now they are offering 20% off, putting them just over $200. Good boot.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I like Lowa, but Zamberlan has a good reputation.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post