SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Washington, D.C. goes SHALL ISSUE!!! Not appealing Circuit Court decision that "may issue" is unconstitutional!!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Washington, D.C. goes SHALL ISSUE!!! Not appealing Circuit Court decision that "may issue" is unconstitutional!!! Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
No, and I'm cynical enough to believe that keeping the donations flowing in may have something to do with it as well.

(Not that doing that sort of thing is the special province of any one political group.)

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:
They will force gun right advocates to go after each regulation in court and could drag it out for years.

I haven't dug up the quote, but I'm pretty sure we've all heard at least some banners say explicitly that this was their intention.

Why wouldn't they?

They oppose citizens having firearms. They can't get the law they want. Why not get as much as possible? Who really knows what that is? What will the courts let through? What if there is an incident that turns public opinion against firearms, like another mass murder?

You can't expect them to just give up, announce that they have seen the error of their ways since the court rulings, and they will enact a perfect ordinance allowing the simplest, easiest gun law in the country.

The choice isn't between the route I described and gving up and accepting an perfect version of "shall issue". The choice is between the route I described and appeal to SCOTUS to try to preserve "may issue." I bet there are a lot of blue state AGs and Governors burning up the phone lines with DC right about now.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Thank you to Sig2340 for posting this.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
From Virginia Citizens Defense League

quote:
Good news for everyone who wants to get a Washington DC carry permit - DC permits are going to be "shall issue" soon!

The Washington DC government has decided not to appeal a reversal of their "may issue" law after the DC Circuit Court of Appeals ruled against them.

Actually, I'm betting that they didn't do so out of pressure from other may-issue states, such as New York, New Jersey, California, Massachusetts, Hawaii, and Maryland. If the U.S. Supreme Court had a chance to rule on the case, it's quite likely that those other may-issue states would have had their laws overturned. That's OK, the days of "may-issue" are numbered anyhow.

If you have already submitted an application previously for a DC carry permit and were denied, your application will be reconsidered if the justification was "self-defense."

I contacted Senior Officer King, 202-727-9741, earlier today and he said DC will automatically review all previous applications that had been turned down because "self-defense" was not a good enough reason. He also said there would be a formal notification to all the applicants about the reconsideration of their applications.

Officer King said nothing will happen until 1) the DC Circuit Court of Appeals issues the formal "Shall-issue" order to the DC Chief of Police and 2) the DC Chief of Police issues the instructions to the licensing bureau to proceed and how to proceed. This could be done in days or it could be a couple more weeks.

Bottom line is I would recommend standing by for now and I will advise once the wheels are turning. It looks like there will be nothing to do, but wait for the notification from DC about your application being reconsidered.

If you haven't previously done so and wish to apply for a DC permit, you can contact Officer King for instructions on how to proceed.

NOTE: While VCDL generally doesn't cover laws of localities outside of Virginia, both Washington DC and Maryland, which border Virginia, are of such a great interest to many of our members, we do make the occasional exception.

Here is a link to a story about DC's decision not to appeal. Thanks to member Saul Rivera Jr. for the link:

quote:
http://wtop.com/dc/2017/10/report-dc-wont-take-concealed-carry-fight-supreme-court/

DC won't take concealed carry fight to Supreme Court: Report

WASHINGTON — After days of consulting with the mayor’s office and city council members, D.C. Attorney General Karl Racine has reportedly decided not to fight a ruling that effectively strikes down the District’s strict law that makes it difficult for gun owners to get concealed carry permits.

Sources told WTOP’s broadcast news partner NBC Washington that Racine made the decision not to appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court and will formally make an announcement later on Thursday.

The law, which requires that people show “good reason” to carry a concealed weapon before they can get a permit, suffered a setback in July when a divided three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit ruled that it infringes on residents’ Second Amendment rights.

D.C. officials later asked the Court of Appeals to rehear the case as a full court. However, in a brief order last week, the court said it would not reconsider the ruling, leaving the city’s attorney general with no choice but to take the case to the U.S. Supreme Court or back down.

Under the law, reasons to get a concealed carry license might include a personal threat, or a job that requires a person to carry or protect cash or valuables.

The requirement remained in effect while the appeals court considered a rehearing.

Council member Charles Allen, who is the chair of the Committee on the Judiciary and Public Safety, said that he was “very disappointed” that the court did not take the case.

“I think that we had passed a very strong law, and I thought that the attorney general did a great job in making the arguments in defending it,” Allen said. “People walking around with concealed carry weapons is just going to make it harder for our police officers to do their job.”

Gun rights advocates have long argued that the law is unconstitutional and that it makes it difficult for people to defend themselves.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I kinda figured they wouldn't appeal because a SCOTUS ruling would jeopardize the may-issue status of NY, CA and others. Better to stage a tactical retreat in DC in order to win the war in the other Blue states. It is likely to be a successful strategy, as there is no other may-issue case pending that could reach SCOTUS anytime soon.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Wonder what's the reciprocity implications are? Attorneys?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
Wonder what's the reciprocity implications are? Attorneys?

None.

Reciprocity does not have to be offered by any jurisdiction.

Any number of licensing scheme do not offer reciprocity.

Nice is overrated

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
From the decision it sounded to me as though DC is at least going to have to offer non-residents some means of obtaining a DC permit.

quote:
Actually, I'm betting that they didn't do so out of pressure from other may-issue states, such as New York, New Jersey, California, Massachusetts, Hawaii, and Maryland. If the U.S. Supreme Court had a chance to rule on the case, it's quite likely that those other may-issue states would have had their laws overturned. That's OK, the days of "may-issue" are numbered anyhow.

Whooooooooo's next!

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
From the decision it sounded to me as though DC is at least going to have to offer non-residents some means of obtaining a DC permit.

quote:

Whooooooooo's next!

DC already has non-resident permitting. It's expensive and entails a huge amount of hurdle jumping (taking your gun to MPD and leaving it with them for "inspection").

Non-resident permits and reciprocity and not the same thing.

Nice is overrated