SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does N.A.S.A. have space maps?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does N.A.S.A. have space maps? Login/Join 
posted
They were talking about space crap on the radio the other day .

and touched briefly on the amount of flotsam and jetsam , debris and potentially very dangerous litter that is out there floating around at 27,000 miles per hour.

Seem there are many many , ( around 2600 ) people that are keeping track of where crap is and when it will be "over there"

So I am wondering , does our solar system have
named areas ?

Like our states , countries, counties and precincts ?

Is the space between the sun and pluto called something,

and the space between Saturn and jupiter called something else?

who designates what the area is called between the earth and our moon is called?

and do planets and their moon's go through areas that have names, as they rotate around or orbit the sun ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55106 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
Only in the broadest terms; it's more like groups of bodies in similar orbits. The "inner planets" are those within the Asteroid Belt, as opposed to the "outer" ones. Jupiter and Neptune have "Trojan" asteroids librating around their L4 and L5 Lagrange points 60 degrees ahead and behind them in their orbit respectively, called the "Greek" and "Trojan" camps. Apollos are inner-system asteroids crossing Earth's orbit. Centaurs are a cross between asteroids and comets in unstable orbits crossing those of the outer planets.

Bodies outside Neptune's orbit have been called Trans-Neptunian Objects since Pluto was relegated to dwarf planet status. These would include the newly discovered "Plutoids" like Eris. The classical Kuiper Belt Objects are also refered to as cubewanos, from QB-1o. Plutinos are a class in 2:3 resonant orbits with Neptune.

Beyond the Kuiper Belt comes the Scattered Disc, of which Eris is one body. Then a bit of a gap, then the Sednoids, named after Sedna. Some consider them to be already part of the Inner Oort Cloud (or Hills Cloud); but their orbits tend to cross the heliopause, the boundary of the heliosphere outside which the sun's solar wind is no longer detectable, marking the border to interstellar space.

Cosmologically of course the Inner and Outer Oort Cloud, where comets originate, are still part of our system, but we're talking bloody far out here - up to three light years, two thirds of the way to the next system.

Posts: 2449 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
^^^^You left out Pluto...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11427 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Really no need to name areas between planets as they aren't lined up all pretty as in the above illustration. The area between two planets already is vast when they are in alignment. It could encompass a much greater distance and include other planetary bodies when they are across the orbital plane from each other.

The top illustration is simple, clear, and as descriptive as need be to give folks a general idea of the mechanics of the solar system. The only thing that bears mention to keep it from being more accurate would be to make it clear that the Oort Cloud is more or less a sphere as opposed to a belt around the entire system.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15768 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
and touched briefly on the amount of flotsam and jetsam , debris and potentially very dangerous litter that is out there floating around at 27,000 miles per hour.
China decided to try out their latest satellite buster missile in 2007.

This event was the largest recorded creation of space debris in history with more than 2,000 pieces of trackable size (golf ball size and larger) officially cataloged in the immediate aftermath, and an estimated 150,000 debris particles.

As of April 2019, 3,000 of the 10,000 pieces of space debris routinely tracked by the US Military as a threat to the International Space Station were known to have originated from the 2007 satellite shoot down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...tellite_missile_test

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Development of the James Webb Space Telescope started in 1996 with a projected cost of $1 billion and launch date of 2007. After delays and cost overruns, it's closer to $10 billion and may be launched in March of 2021.

You want to buy maps from these folks?

Posts: 11486 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:

The amount of "space junk" out there is really astounding, and they track that too. At some point it'll be an issue for satellites and other things we care about orbiting the planet.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27117 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
The thought of having a map of space scares me. I can’t even fold my state map back up correctly. Big Grin

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Just stay out of the Romulan Neutral Zone.

Posts: 4053 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Google will be releasing SPAZE once they finish killing Waze.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8125 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Humans have always been litter bugs... the way archeologist figure out how ancient civilizations lived.... space is just another example of us leaving our 'crap' laying around....

The good news is we are so insignificant in the universe... none of it really matters....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
The thought of having a map of space scares me. I can’t even fold my state map back up correctly. Big Grin

A scale map from Earth to the Sun with Earth being represented by a 12 pt Times New Roman period would show the Sun being about 5.5" in diameter and 50 feet away. Put Proxima Centauri, the closest star next to our Sun, on the map and the map stretches from New York City to Los Angeles.

I wouldn't want to fold it either.

Posts: 11486 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
We will sooner or later have to pay (with taxes) for a mission to orbit and collect stray nuts and bolts - just so we can keep our sats in orbit without being destroyed regularly (and thereby adding more debris).

Either a space robo-vac or maybe a space bulldozer that forces all the little shit into a degrading orbit so it will burn up.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
We will sooner or later have to pay (with taxes) for a mission to orbit and collect stray nuts and bolts
In April 2011, debris from the Chinese test passed 6 km away from the International Space Station.wiki as linked above

That's four miles. Pert' damn close. Maybe the guy who designed the ocean collection barge will make a Space Sucker next ...

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Infidel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder:
quote:

The amount of "space junk" out there is really astounding, and they track that too. At some point it'll be an issue for satellites and other things we care about orbiting the planet.

Especially if there are more collisions, causing a cascading effect called the Kessler Syndrome. Could make Low Earth Orbit unusable for a long time.

quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
That's four miles. Pert' damn close. Maybe the guy who designed the ocean collection barge will make a Space Sucker next ...

They've got a few ideas!

I hate offended people. They come in two flavours - huffy and whiny - and it's hard to know which is worst. The huffy ones are self-important, narcissistic authoritarians in love with the sound of their own booming disapproval, while the whiny, sparrowlike ones are so annoying and sickly and ill-equipped for life on Earth you just want to smack them round the head until they stop crying and grow up.
- Charlie Brooker

Posts: 656 | Location: Sammamish, WA | Registered: May 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
There was a TV show called Quark. It's main space ship was a United Galaxy Sanitation Patrol Cruiser that went around collecting space garbage.

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post

BENdable SOLO would like the map!

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16758 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
There was a TV show called Quark. It's main space ship was a United Galaxy Sanitation Patrol Cruiser that went around collecting space garbage.

Loved that show when it was on (especially the Bettys Wink ) ...but it was cancelled way too soon. We need more Sci-Fi comedy.

Quark

But...what we really need is Andy Griffith and Salvage 1 to clean up and recycle the debris in earth's orbit.

Salvage 1

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27117 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:

Loved that show when it was on (especially the Bettys Wink ) ...but it was cancelled way too soon. We need more Sci-Fi comedy.

Quark

But...what we really need is Andy Griffith and Salvage 1 to clean up and recycle the debris in earth's orbit.

Salvage 1

The Betty's, 70s TV was a great time to be growing up. I don't remember Salvage 1 at all. A quick search shows WKRP in Cinncinati and Little House on the Prairie were in the same time slot, both shows are what we watched.