SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So I need some budget help on vehicle painting.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I need some budget help on vehicle painting. Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I had a Mustang painted at Maaco when I was in High School cost me $450.
Lasted about 7 years before it started to fade a bit. Had it to do over again I would have sprung the extra $150 for seperate clear coat application instead of the paint/clear coat mix they used.

For your situation I would give them a go again.
I bet you’ll be in at $1,500 or less. Will it be a show stopper certainly not but will it look just fine yup.
If it is not red or black you’ll likely get more longevity out of it too.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
Earl Scheib - $29.95...oh, wait...I remembered that from the 1960s when I was a kid watching TV. Big Grin

I actually had an Earl Scheib paint job on my '69 Beetle when it was getting on. I believe it was $39.95 or $49.95 in about 1976.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Might see if there's any programs at a local vocational school that might be a deal with a young painter learning the trade.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have heard that the trde schools are not taking as much outside work due to insurance/liability issues. A friend was at one suxh school on business and she asked if someone could look at something on her car as it was making a starnge noise and they very politley declined saygint hey were not allowed.

I was also told, years ago by friend that owned a body shop that Maaco actualy can do a decent paint job and their painters are usually good as they get a ton of "booth time" but, prep is the key!

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:

I was also told, years ago by friend that owned a body shop that Maaco actualy can do a decent paint job and their painters are usually good as they get a ton of "booth time" but, prep is the key!

Their standard paint/supplies is very low quality.
The standard job comes with a clear coat mixed in. My black lasted about 6 or so years (not garage kept but polished and waxed twice a year).
One can upgrade to a separate clear coat application that would add some longevity.

The spray job itself was great, no runs, no ripples, no imperfections Incould locate and no overspray.
Though very minimal prepwork was needed just went from black to black and no rust or damage.
Factory hood was fading on a 1992 and was painted in 99 or 2000.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$1,000.00 to $1,600 to prep and $1,200 to $1,900.00 to paint and put back together.

for a good but not o.e.m. restore job
according to Kyle who works for a body shop

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thanks B for checking with your local guy. I appreciate that. Thanks to all for your insight.

I have a local guy I will get a quote from. I am not looking for a "restore a classic" type job.

This is a driver and one that will be used in the back country some.. Again, thanks for your thoughts guys. Very helpful.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
he also said that , that price could very as much as $2,000.00 depending on what big city , that you go too

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
MEXICO

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post