SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So I need some budget help on vehicle painting.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I need some budget help on vehicle painting. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
So I am needing a ballpark figure on painting an import 4wd pickup. Body is straight. Minimal rust.
Not looking for a custom paint job. Just a good
primer and one color job with no major repair or parts replacement. As I said there is some rust but surface variety mostly.

Thanks.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish you luck. Maico wanted $600.00 to paint my Yamaha golf cart.

Posts: 1988 | Location: metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: July 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
$1,500 to $3,500 for a basic paint job.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Painting is the easy part, it’s the prep that gets you. Simple scuff and paint probably a couple grand. Anything beyond that and it gets up there. Changing the color? Then you’re potentially into door jams, under the hood, trunk and what not for it to look right. Pulling window trim, door trim, body trim...? The list goes on and on.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
scuff and prime it yourself, then wrap it.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
So take it to a couple of local shops, let them look at it, and get estimates?

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few years ago i had my dakota painted to factory two tone, cost me $800 and that was with me taking everything off, bumpers, fender flares, wipers, mirrors etc and driving it the 3 miles to the paint ship.

I would think $1500 would be a good price for a s10 size truck one color

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Hoping the paint job would not be more than the value of the truck.

HRK, I had not thought of that. Like that idea but doubt it would much less than a paint job.

posted Hide Post
Mako Some of the best painters I know got their start at Makos

Posts: 27 | Location: Fluid | Registered: January 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Won't they have to take the bed off?
Might not if the same color going back on.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Like that idea but doubt it would much less than a paint job.

Right. You're still looking at ~$2k-3k for a decent wrap.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
It would have to be a pretty cheap import 4wd pickup to cost less than $3500.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
yes tit tis. Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
$1,500 to $3,500 for a basic paint job.

Here in South Florida it would be $3-3500 for a good paint job that will last.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
If you decide on a DIY job, don't use interior latex. It doesn't last very well.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Exterior fence and deck maybe Eek

$1500 is doable possibly

Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Earl Scheib - $29.95...oh, wait...I remembered that from the 1960s when I was a kid watching TV. Big Grin

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Exterior fence and deck maybe Eek

$1500 is doable possibly

Pro tip: Barn paint applied with a broom.

posted Hide Post
Why not rattle can a camp finish, that would cover and hide any flaws.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
Check with a local vocational school. Usually you pay for materials and they supply all the labor for the experience/practice/learning.

Yes a wrap would be as much but probably more than paint. And not hold up as well if you actually use the truck as a truck. I have a buddy who is a professional vinyl wrapper, he’s been at it 30yrs. I’ve known him for just over 20. His normal wrap vehicle is usually a 6 figure vehicle. Or it’s a business marking vehicle wrap.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post