SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is this poison ivy?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this poison ivy? Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
For those good at identifying poison ivy I could use some input. Is this stuff currently climbing one of my trees and taking over a corner of my yard poison ivy? If so how do I kill it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
It looks like it - especially that vine on the tree. I had some and sprayed Roundup on as many young, growing leaves as I could find. The dog and I went on a poison ivy safari with my Roundup squirt bottle every couple of weeks. It eventually all died.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
X2 on Jim's post above. Wear gloves and cut the main vine near the base of the tree to immediately kill the vine in the tree. Spray a dab of Remedy on the stub of the vine coming from the root in the ground

Remedy will kill the tree if applied as a basal application so use very carefully around the tree. The poison ivy will be dead in a couple of days. Remedy is a potent brush and tree killer.

I have a quart spray bottle mixed up and just hit any poison ivy or poison oak with a snapped shot while mowing. Don't have any on my acreage any more.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
If my old tired eyes are seeing your pictures good I see three leaves, shiny and oily sheen to leaves, sure looks like it to me. There is another vine that looks similar to poison ivy but the leaves are not shiny and usually are in clusters of 5 but I have seen them in 3s The stuff grows as a vine (poison ivy) and as a stand alone plant (poison oak) but both are really the same plant. We have it in abundance in both varieties here in Alabama. I have a patch of woods not that it grows heavily in, unfortunately it's not fenced so I can't turn the goats in to clean it out. A good herbicide will knock that stuff right out. Here on the farm I use a woody plant herbicide called Crossbow mixed with a strong concentration of Roundup (Industrial/farm grade) and 2-4-D to spray fence rows and along the woods and it does a good job of knocking it out. Lowes usually has a Poison Ivy spray that does a good job. If you are going to try to dig and pull it out wait till cold weather and it is less likely to affect you. I just hope you are not as allergic to it as I am. Stuff can cause some serious pain and suffering. Good luck on getting rid of it.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, just remember "leaves of three, let them be". Even after you kill the vine, it will still be able to cause you trouble as the oil will still be active until the vine has dried up.

Poison ivy is my kryptonite. Never really bothered me as a kid running and playing in the woods. Until one day I guess I got the magic does that did it. Looked like someone had poured hot grease on my arm, it looked so bad. Since then, I give it a wide berth.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
And even after you kill that, it will maintain the oils that give you a rash.
I've pulled the dormant vines down early winter and still got some slight irritation. Lather up good, twice, to get the oils off you skin and most people will be good to go.

Yeah, that's PI.

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by low8option:
There is another vine that looks similar to poison ivy but the leaves are not shiny and usually are in clusters of 5...

That's Virginia Creeper, the OP has poison ivy. Pretty easy to kill with any number of applications available at Lowes or hardware stores, may take a couple applications.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that's the nasty stuff.
When we moved into a new place when i was a kid, there was an ivy vine running up a tree that was six inches across at its base. The ivy vine I mean, not the tree.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Sadly, I still can't identify it even though I have seen it.

As others have said, you could have a reaction even from dead plants.

Here is a great video to assist with aftercare if you suspect exposure:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oyoDRHpQK0

Be careful.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
The state flower of Pennsylvania.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do, if stricken with an immediate urge to take a dump, don't throw the rag you are about to wipe with down on the ground on top of the ivy while you do your business. Trust me, this is sage advice.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I have been working in areas where poison ivy is located I always take a washcloth soaked in 91% rubbing alcohol and go over my skin.The alcohol removes the oil residue the ivy leaves on the skin.

Also if you are burning brush that may contain the ivy vine,do not breathe in the smoke. I have heard of people getting the rash in their lungs.

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
Whatever you do, if stricken with an immediate urge to take a dump, don't throw the rag you are about to wipe with down on the ground on top of the ivy while you do your business. Trust me, this is sage advice.

A high school friend of mine had a passionate moment with his girlfriend out in alfalfa field (cow country). It wasn't all alfalfa. He got the better end of the deal as at least all his irritation was still external.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
crossbow, brush killer or the generic equivelant mixed with diesel fuel. Follow the label directions.

When it is dead I would highly suggest you buy one of those Tyvec hazmat suits to wear as you remove the dead growth. Throw it away when you're done. If you are highly allergic that may not be enough, or if like me it's overkill. But, if you don't know and are of the former camp...

It's some truly evil shit for those highly sensitive individuals and not to be trifled with. Do not burn it even on a bet.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Yes. Here I am next to a 7-foot high bush of it at one of my fishing spots.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
"Leaves three, leave it be."

Keep in mind that even after you kill it, and it is dried and shriveled, it will still give you a bad infection if you touch it. Do not burn it. Cover all exposed skin when you do pick it up. Take a shower immediately after.

A really bad infection with poison ivy is nothing to trifle with.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
I got a blood infection from it when I was younger. Now I'm hyper sensitive to it. Haven't been in the woods and have a few tiny spots on my legs right now. Even with topical steroids, it takes a few days, or more, to get rid of it.

Last spring I was clearing out creeping charlie from a portion of my yard and it gave me a rash.

Never burn it.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:

A high school friend of mine had a passionate moment with his girlfriend out in alfalfa field (cow country). It wasn't all alfalfa. He got the better end of the deal as at least all his irritation was still external.

I figured no way could it be worse than what I had to deal with. Apparently I was wrong.

I'll say the worst part, or the most memorable anyway, was during the healing process and the turtle shell like scab I had on my backside and how it would crack with movement or worse yet when sitting. That was about 3 weeks + of healing and misery.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Also if you are burning brush that may contain the ivy vine,do not breathe in the smoke. I have heard of people getting the rash in their lungs.

As a child I was helping my grandfather burn brush in winter and got downwind for a few moments. Any place the smoke got into had a wonderful rash next day. Fortunately not my lungs.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
You could always take some leaves to clean your bum. In a day you'll know for sure.

I agree its poison ivy. Vines like that overwhelmed what had to that point been a near total immunity to poison ivy and nailed me really bad. So bad I was sick on leave at home, with large lesions that looked like I had a cross between a second degree burn and advanced leprosy. It took weeks and massive doses of steroids to cure.

Plan to get it all done in one day.

Before you go hands on, don long sleeves, trousers, gloves, dust mask, hat, eye protection. I do not care if its 110 degrees. Wear the protection. Ideally all of these items should be disposable.

Put it into 33 gallon, 6 mil plastic bags. Don't overfill the bags, you don't want any holes.

Once its down, do not under any circumstances burn that shit.

Good luck.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post