SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Washing Machine RIP - Appliance Brad???
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Washing Machine RIP - Appliance Brad??? Login/Join 
posted
I have an older GE top load HE washer that is on it's last legs, making noises and such so I figured I would try to replace it with the holiday sales going on and have it narrowed down.

All are in the $450 - $500 (sale price catagory)

GE - They have a traditional agitator model and then an impeller model for slightly more.

Samsung - If I am not mistaken this is one was one of Consumer Reports "best buys"

Maytag Bravos - I have a Maytag dishwasher and have been pretty happy eith it

Anyone have any expeorce or thoughts?

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
According to my local appliance guy, stick to whirlpool brands as samsung/lg/ge all use thier own repair teams and cant be fixed by local repair folks. Whether or not thats true I dont know, tho samsung is that way.

We bought fridgidaires.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After doing some research and reading up on the Bravos (horrible reviews) these are my front runners:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-4-...NERGY-STAR/999922476

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sa...A50M7450AW/301176928

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Firsthand exp - Bravos does in fact suck donkey ballz.

I have a W&D and have had to fix washer twice - control boards or something like that - at this point they are running until they croak and I’m going to replace them with something much more reliable.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Firsthand exp - Bravos does in fact suck donkey ballz.

I have a W&D and have had to fix washer twice - control boards or something like that - at this point they are running until they croak and I’m going to replace them with something much more reliable.

Thank you for confirming my suspicions, it is now out of running!

Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I bought a Speed Queen analog set and wife loves it but Amana (Whirlpool) makes a top loader with an agitator that I considered since it was less than 1/2 price of SQ and had desireable features like add a sock and deep water wash & rinse.

https://www.menards.com/main/a..._medium=flyer_hosted

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GE appliances are JUNK.
Samsung are too hard to get parts/service for.

Maytag or Whirlpool..... top loaders or front loaders, they're both good.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I know it’s more money on the front end, but you can’t go wrong with Speed Queen.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
I know it’s more money on the front end, but you can’t go wrong with Speed Queen.

I may go look at those today, thanks

Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
We are delighted with our Speed Queen. Tough as nails.

Posts: 6470 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:

I was looking on SQ site and saw that I can buy a coin op machine....with the amount of laundry my wife and daughter do this could pay for the new machine quickly!

Kidding aside, I am still leaning towards either GE or Samsung, possibly whirlpool purely based on cost and conveneonece

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
quote:
Originally posted by architect:

I was looking on SQ site and saw that I can buy a coin op machine....with the amount of laundry my wife and daughter do this could pay for the new machine quickly!

Kidding aside, I am still leaning towards either GE or Samsung, possibly whirlpool purely based on cost and conveneonece

GE stuff is JUNK. I have some of that profile top end crap on yachts and at less than 5 years old already breaking

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Go with the Speen Queen. I have an issue with my dryer, but I bought it used, and the parts are not that expensive compared with the things that can go wrong with the high efficiency models.

I love being able to do a load of wash with an extra rinse in 40 minutes or so.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of losvaqueros
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
Go with the Speen Queen. I have an issue with my dryer, but I bought it used, and the parts are not that expensive compared with the things that can go wrong with the high efficiency models.

I love being able to do a load of wash with an extra rinse in 40 minutes or so.

I was researching this stuff awhile back and it seems like Speed Queen ain’t what it used to be.

Posts: 1813 | Location: Mid Tenn | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Wtf?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Wtf?

He said he did research and speed queen is trash Big Grin

Posts: 5319 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

WHAT HE SAID WAS...

Big Grin

Anyways, if you're going to dredge up a 3.5 year old thread, at least make sure you're posting accurate info. Speed Queen is what it used to be, at least partially...

The complaints about "SQ not being what they used to be" stem from the 2018ish period when SQ moved to a newer design and discontinued their old style line like they had produced for decades. Plenty of people thought the new design was inferior. However, there was enough backlash from customers who wanted the older style that they brought their Classic line back in 2019. So you can still get the "gooder older" kind of SQ, if you prefer.

If you want the new style SQ, get a TR/DR model.

But if you want the old-school SQ, get a TC/DC model.

Each has their pros and cons.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

Yep...recommended Speed Queen and seem to be getting more love. Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
stay away from Samsung appliances, the customer support is horrendous.

TV's only good experiences....appliances....not some much

WOW!!!!! this thread is almost 4 years old...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post