SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Home remedies (treatments) you endured as a child...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home remedies (treatments) you endured as a child... Login/Join 
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Vick's Formula 44 (damn, damn you to hell-but it did work) and steri-strips (yeah, you could use a couple sutures but let's try this first Roll Eyes). Dont get me started on merthiolate on skinned knees.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Mercurochrome, too, for skin breakages.

Not to be confused with the Merthiolate which also colored your skin a weird color but burned like a mofo.

Posts: 343 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: April 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I was just searching around for some original formula merthiolate. Apparently, the government determined that since it contained mercury, it was too dangerous and banned it. Clearly it was dangerous as millions of us had it used on us as kids and somehow we all managed to make it. Roll Eyes

Anywho...the original formula, made with thimerisol (mercury), can be found on eBay. Made in Thailand.

I bought a few bottles for when the SHTF after the EMP. Hey, you never know. Try finding antibiotics when that happens.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since my parents came from simple hill folk, taking your kid to the ER was not necessary. Most of the previous posters remedies were used on me. The cure all for me for any wound was.... Iodine. And lots of it.
Iodine related war story:
My friends often resolved disputes by throwing rocks at each other. On one occasion, one of my friend took a serious hit to his noggin. It opened a large gash in his head that bled like a stuck hog. My Mother happened to see this and drug my friend into our garage, sat him down and poured about half a bottle of iodine into the wound! My friend began to scream, broke loose and fled. When I saw him the next day, he had 10 stitches. His parents actually used the ER.
Can you imagine doing that to a neighborhood kid nowadays?
Remember, it takes a village to maim a child!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whiskey, honey, and lemon juice for a bad cough. Not a home remedy, though. Actually recommended by my pediatrician.

Posts: 586 | Location: NC | Registered: March 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Lol, Dave.

Eagle Brand Medicated oil. My parents used to do some voodoo with that stuff if you had a cold. Would rub it on your back then take a spoon and scrape patterns on your skin. Would look like you got your back whipped.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Mentholatum
Vicks
granny's Mustard plaster
Merthiolate

variations of the invective 'pain is weakness leaving your tarnished body don't do it again'

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Salt and syrup poultice. Pronounced POLE-iss by my folks. We grew up in a football house, starting at 6 years old, through 4 of us played college ball, (and one college baseball).

If anyone sprained an ankle or a knee, took a helmet to the ribs, separated shoulder etc, my dad and grandad would make a slurry of table salt and maple syrup, put a glob of it in an old cloth diaper, and wrap it around the hurt area with an ace bandage. We would have to sleep with it on.

My dad and grandad swore it was a miracle healing process to “pull” the swelling out.

It never did anything!!! Big Grin And we kept doing it. It was the craziest thing in the world.

My grandad would hear we were hurt and he acted like a trauma surgeon getting ready for an emergency.

As stupid as it was, it was some of the best days of my life.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jezsuiz
posted Hide Post
man The memories, I can still taste castor oil and Vick’s 44. I can remember being told you will just have to tough it out. That’s probably child abuse today.

Posts: 556 | Location: NE not new england | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jezsuiz:
I can remember being told you will just have to tough it out. That’s probably child abuse today.

My dad: "Is it bleeding?"
Me: "Nope."
My dad: "You'll live."

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
My grandmothers had memorized a chart in their youth from oldwivestales.com or something, which had precise time delays between eating and going swimming, depending on what you ate.

Tuna sandwich, 2 hours
Vienna sausage sandwhich 1 hour 38 minutes
With medium potato chips add 15 minutes
Jello with fruit 45 minutes
And so forth.

Ignoring these by even 2 minutes meant upon entry into the water you would get terminal cramps and plunge to a watery hideous grave.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
The most embarrassing was calamine lotion. Running around wearing pink poka dots on your bites was terrible. I don't even think it worked.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
If you were going swimming/wanted to "work on your tan" you applied baby oil, which supposedly encouraged tanning. There was no such thing as sunscreen.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
Absorbine Jr rubbed over any sore areas

Mentholatum or vicks vapor rub in the nose and all over the chest with a cold or congestion
-at times a heating pad was placed on over the tshirt at night

with a very high fever literally placed into cold water bath with ice in it

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
My grandmothers had memorized a chart in their youth from oldwivestales.com or something, which had precise time delays between eating and going swimming, depending on what you ate.

Tuna sandwich, 2 hours
Vienna sausage sandwhich 1 hour 38 minutes
With medium potato chips add 15 minutes
Jello with fruit 45 minutes
And so forth.

Ignoring these by even 2 minutes meant upon entry into the water you would get terminal cramps and plunge to a watery hideous grave.

LMAO! My mom wasnt nearly as precise but definitely had a safety time to go by after eating.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Which of any of these has stood the test of time?

Year V

Posts: 2613 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Never complain about a stomach ache around my grandmother or you were getting a glass of that 3$ gallon box wine. Before box wine was hip or good!

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6254 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One thing that we all can take from this thread is that our parents/grandparents CARED about us, and they tried their best to make us well again. It also proves that the human body is one tough organism, and can survive many an assault!!

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
Ah, memories. Remember mercurochrome and methiolate. I've had the mustard plaster treatment as well as the hot vaporizer with Vicks in it. It worked great. It sucked when they said the hot treatment was too dangerous for burns and switched to cold water - it never seemed to work as well.

I also remember Aureomycin. It actually tasted pretty good (it was given orally and the stuff I had tasted like a chocolate drink). In checking I see it was the first of the tetracyclines.

And finally, I had a card in my wallet (I think it actually came with the wallet) to let medical folks know that I was allergic to horse serum. Whatever that was. I carried that card into my teens, until I was told by a doctor that they hadn't used horse serum in years.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safespot:
Whiskey, honey, and lemon juice for a bad cough. Not a home remedy, though. Actually recommended by my pediatrician.

Had a lot of bad coughing spells when young. Tried lots of home remedies, one I remember was a teaspoon of sugar with a drop of coal oil or kerosine in it. And once, somebody gave my folks a large bottle of the whiskey plus something, plus something, etc. My folks drank the whole bottle and I don't remember getting any, ha.
Another medicine was Black Draught, used for constipation and/or any other thing that was wrong with you from neck to knees. That stuff would "set you free".

Posts: 263 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post