SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Home remedies (treatments) you endured as a child...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home remedies (treatments) you endured as a child... Login/Join 
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted
Ok...the "Chiggers" and "Black Drawing Salve" threads got me to thinking about how "medical emergencies" were handled when I was a kid...I'm 65 now and sometimes I'm surprised I survived Big Grin...

These were the go to "medications" in common use by my grandmother when I was a kid...

Vicks VapoRub...a wide array of practical uses, ranging to applying around the belt line, ankles, and (very carefully) in the "sensitive" locations near, well you know, for the treatment of the chiggers or "red bugs" we outdoor feral children came in contact with daily...it would also be used to combat chest congestion from a cold, by being liberally applied to a piece of cloth which was safety pinned to your tee shirt across your chest. This was known as a "greasy jacket"...it seemed to work...

Mercurochrome...this was always on hand to be used when you stepped on a piece of glass, scratched the chigger bites until they started bleeding or just for general scratches, cuts and such. I do remember it being used on other kids to swab their sore throats (yes, it contained mercury)...

The sewing needle and tweezers...splinters/thorns (EVERYTHING back then was a source of splinters) and by God you best not squirm when the needle digging started...this was always followed up by a liberal douching of Mercurochrome and the warning to stop doing whatever it was that you were doing that caused you to get the splinter in the first place...

The snuff/grandmother/oldlady spit poultice...wasp or bee stings...there is not anything worse than being stung by a wasp and then having to endure the snuff/spit poultice (it could be my grandmother, the neighbor or a perfect stranger), all that was required was the dipping of snuff (usually Dental Sweet) and having the ability to produce spit to make a paste...it was nasty to say the least...

But last but not least...the most feared "remedy" of them all...

Phillips Milk Of Magnesia...
No matter what..head ache, fatigued from playing, sunburn, it didn't seem to matter. THE question that struck fear to my core..."when was the last time you went to the bathroom?" (and it didn't mean "pee")...any answer that was hesitant or "an hour ago" ("no wonder you are covered up in chigger bites...you're constipated or they wouldn't bite you so much") a visit with the blue bottle of doom filled with the thick white liquid of gag...you could watch the thick chalky, evil tasting liquid pour into the spoon, first one, to be followed by another and usually another (depending on how "bound up" you were) and each one was swallowed/gagged down ...knowing full well what would come a few hours later.

Like I said...it's a wonder my generation survived...

But it does make it clear why we played away from home from morning till dark and avoided as much contact with adults (except to eat, usually on the run) as much as we could Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Castor oil.

Some nasty "home made" cough medicine. It looked and had the consistency of Corn Huskers and tasted like it was onion and sugar.

Methiolade, for cuts and scrapes. Peroxide in the ears.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Paregoric.
Mustard Plaster.
Mineral Oil.

Awake not woke

Posts: 567 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Mom's side of the family's the cure-all for anything on your skin was Calamine lotion. Thankfully, they stopped using it on sunburns before I was born. Eek

I still use a slightly modified version of Mom's side of the family's upper respiratory cure all which was hot tea, lemon, honey, and seagram's 7. I use the same recipe just better individual ingredients (e.g. Crown Royal and local honey).

Mom's podiatrist used Betadine on her once, and it became Mom's cure-all for any cut or open wound. It didn't take long to realize that I'm allergic to it.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Most of that plus sweet oil for ear aches

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Castoria every other week to keep us regular.
You would just the other end doing solids and then that crap again.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
Vicks VapoRub...a wide array of practical uses...

My grandmother, who lived to age 93, would eat Vicks. A little cold or congestion, she'd swallow some Vicks.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh boy, is this thread bringing back memories(I didn't say good memories!). I can relate to all of the above......my family owned a drug store, so all of those meds were readily available to my mom!!

Posts: 6616 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Milk of magnesia, used to cure/prevent everything from grumpiness to leprosy.

Mercurochrome, too, for skin breakages. I turned out to be allergic to tetanus anti toxin, whatever they call it!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scott's Emulsion . It contained Cod Liver Oil and God knows what else . Thick and NASTY tasting .
Vics Vapor Rub on my chest when I had a cold .

Posts: 4055 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My grandmother and mom would smother any sprain, bruise muscle or flesh pain (not for open wounds) with a medicinal smelling “mud” poltice called “numotizine”. It would be heated, caked on and wrapped with a bandage. I think it could be purchased at the drugstore. No longer. Can’t find. I didn’t like the smell.

Only place I could find it on the net was at a veterinarian supply store. Apparrently good for horses too.

Makes sense. My grandma was a pioneer woman whose parents got their farm during the oklahoma land rush.

Surprised I didn’t grow hooves.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
Scott's Emulsion . It contained Cod Liver Oil and God knows what else . Thick and NASTY tasting .

Yes, we had to take the Scott's Emulsion too. Really gross stuff.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2409 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Vicks, castor oil as a very young child, some useless spray for scrapes and cuts that didn't do a damned thing, and the very best stuff in the world for splinters and infection, Griswold's Salve.

I still have some. It's made of oleate of lead. Really. Lead, embedded in rosin. You heat it up with a match until it boils, wipe some of the boiling goo on a bandaid, and then put it on the splinter / wound while still hot. It would draw stuff right out of you. If you had an infected cut, the next day the Griswold's would have pulled all the dead tissue and pus out. If you had a splinter, it would draw it.

Most amazing thing it ever did for me was remove a bunch of splintered glass from my finger tip. I was a curious child, and I touched the center of a huge spider crack in a large window, driving a dozen or more tiny, clear glass splinters straight into my finger tip. My father tried the magnifying glass and knife trick to remove them, but because they were clear, and went in vertically, he couldn't find them. On went the Griswold's and off to bed. The next morning, I removed the bandaid, and there was an entire glass flower of spikes standing straight up on the used plaster. It drew every one of them.

I still have some floating around here somewhere. Can't buy the stuff any more, damnit.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12774 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:

My mother would put the rub on my chest, warm a tshirt over the gas flame on the stovetop and then lay the warm shirt on my chest. It was actually nice.

I don't recall any backwoods remedies, really, but my father was a hospital chaplain and has Dr. friends.

Campho-Phenique was the standard treatment for cuts and scrapes. I never could tell if it did any good at pain/itch relief.

Coke was always the first thing other than water we were given when suffering from an upset stomach. Saltines were always the first solid food.

Pepto Bismol was the standard for an upset stomach.

I once did try fingernail polish on chigger bites, based on the wives tale that they burrow under your skin and you can suffocate them.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Castor oil. It's been decades, but I still remember the taste of that stuff.

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
You haven't lived if you haven't had a mustard plater. I'm surprised the skin on my chest isn't scar tissue from the burns.

Posts: 18056 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blackberry brandy (gack!). It didn't make you get well sooner. It made you deny any illness at all.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2066 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Not so much "home" remedies, but still....

Oil of cloves for a toothache.

Styptic pencil and a piece of TP to stem the blood from cuts incurred while learning to shave with a double edged razor.

Terpin Hydrate and codeine for a cough.

Bag Balm for whatever needed soothing.

Aloe Vera for sunburn.

Fels Naptha bar soap for poison ivy itch.

And yes, drawing salve (which was a God send in my youth), Vicks (whose formula changed in recent years and now is but a shadow of its former self), and many others cited in earlier posts.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I remember;

1. Castoria
2. Vicks, on the chest, under the nose
3. Warm whiskey/water

Posts: 4623 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnnyD
posted Hide Post
My Mom was not into home remedies, but she was always putting Campho-Phenique on every scratch and cut I had. Think FIRE.
I think she derived some evil thrill from it! Maybe I deserved it.... Wink

-----------------------------------

USAF/ANG Retired

Posts: 782 | Location: Garland, (Zombieland) TX. | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post