SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Update - A Big Mahalo - First Hawai’i Trip Now Complete - Preparing for First Trip to Hawaii - Links / Advice / Etc. Appreciated
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update - A Big Mahalo - First Hawai’i Trip Now Complete - Preparing for First Trip to Hawaii - Links / Advice / Etc. Appreciated Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Split your time between Oahu and Maui. Hopping 3-4 islands requires 2+ weeks if you really want to enjoy yourselves.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
I was stationed at Wheeler AFB for 3 years on Oahu.

Oahu:
1. Pearl Harbor: The Arizona Memorial and the Bowfin submarine tour. Add in a visit to Punchbowl Crater for National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific.
2. Diamondhead (tough little climb with lots and lots of steps, bring water and a great camera...view from the top is spectacular).
3. Hanauma Bay; great snorkeling. One time we were there, three of us swam and played with five dolphins for about an hour.
4. Polynesian Cultural Center
5. North Shore: big waves Nov to Feb, calm water for snorkeling, swimming the rest of the year.

Being military meant we had access to Bellows Air Force Station, great uncrowded beaches.

Maui:
1. Beaches, beaches, beaches. Fantastic beaches.
2. Snorkeling and scuba diving
3. Whale watching tours (depending on time of the year).

I really liked Maui, did a bunch of 3 days/2 night trips there with various girlfriends. More laid back, not as crowded, not as expensive as Kaui was at the time.

Kaui:
1. Top resorts and great beaches, called the garden isle for a reason. If Eden still exists on earth it is on Kaui.

Top resorts with inclusive things on property (swimming with dolphins, etc), lots of really rich people have houses on Kaui. It was nice but much more expensive than Maui.

The Big Island:
1. Volcanoes and lava flows......Hawaii is the only state that is still growing. Big Grin
2. Beaches with different colored sand; white, black, and green.
3. Home to home to 8 of the 13 climate zones in the world.

For any of the islands you can add some ocean trips: booze cruises, fishing, or my favorite-learning to sail as in a sailboat.

Sherwood's located just before you enter Bellow's AFB is very popular with the locals, clean nice small but good waves for body surfing. Occasionaly after a full moon the Portuguese man o war do come out so be careful, they sting a bit. Just trying to keep you & the wife from having any unpleasant experiences while visiting.

http://hawaiibeachsafety.com/a...e-man-o-war-advisory

Regarding body surfing, be cautious at Sandy Beach, located past Blow Hole look out, popular with locals but very powerful waves, many have broken necks and spinal injuries when they get tossed over the waves and hit their head, sadly I know someone who was paralyzed as a teenager from Sandy's.

http://www.unrealhawaii.com/20...fing-at-sandy-beach/

Now as far as food, one recommedation I'd like to make is Hanks' Haute Dogs to all who come to visit. If you enjoy a great hotdog...you will not be disappointed. Not too expensive either for a real gourmet style Hotdog, check out the menu, they have some real different ones for everyone...lobster anyone? Rabbit?? with fries, a perfect lunch. It's a hole in the wall kind of joint, but worth the effort to get there.

http://www.hankshautedogs.com/

http://www.hankshautedogs.com/about.html

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
5-6 days ins't too much time but, for your first time, that will be enough to wet your appetite to make a return trip. Tour group travel isn't necessary for Hawaii, it's the 50th state after all, they even take US dollars Wink. If you're just staying on Hawaii there's a few must visits for first timers regardless of where you're staying and all can be done on your own:

- USS Arizona/USS Missouri (Pearl Harbor) this will initially get eye-rolls from some significant others but, it's an important part of the nation's history, if there's resistance, just let them know we get it done now and we won't have to come back. The National Park does a great job of preserving and explaining things, check times and get there as early as possible to secure tickets; the tours are separate but the time combined will take up 3/4 of the day due to the waiting and time spent at each site; you'll wanna take a nap afterwards. If there's one day to wake up early...this would be it, the lines are huge by 10.

- Hanauma Bay (south) everyone's introduction to swimming in the Pacific. Lots of snorkelers, a very nice beach but, it's overrun with tourists, parking can be a bear if you arrive late mid-day. It's one of those check the box-off places. Pack a lunch, drinks, towel and a few hours to relax.

- Luau, that only in Hawaii dinner treat. There's three very popular luau's that everyone seems to gravitate towards; Polynesian Cultural Center (PCC), Paradise Cove and Germaine's. If you're staying at a major hotel or, in/around Waikiki, they'll usually have a transportation package available with your ticket. PCC is widely acknowledged to be the most authentic, the others err on the kitsch side of the equation (pasty drunk white guy in ridiculous hawaiian shirt trying to dance on stage). PCC is located on the north shore so, if you're staying in Waikiki, just know you're in for a bit of a drive. Also, understand, PCC is put on by the LDS or, Mormon's as they have their BYU campus there...which means no alcohol. They do a very good job of highlighting all the Polynesian cultures and provide an entertaining stage show. Paradise Cove is located on the West side past Kapolei in the same development as Disney's resort property. They're probably the best middle-of-the-road luau. Some of the bigger hotels in Waikiki have their own luau and everyone I've spoke too said they didn't care for them.

- Dole Plantation, on the way to the North Shore, stop off for an hour or, so and check it out and do the maze. At the very least pick up a Dole Whip. For the longest time, everyone on the mainland longed to go back to HI because there and Disneyland, were the only places you could get that tasty, refreshing Dole Whip. Today, they've allowed stores to carry it but, it's a fun stop.

- North Shore is the country get-away that everyone yearns for in Hawaii. Away from the congestion of Honolulu, the small towns and hamlets of Haleiwa, Waialua, Kahuku, Laie and others is small town America poly style. Haleiwa is the main town where the big surfing contests are, particularly around Waimea Bay with legendary breaks like Pipeline and Sunset. Just understand the big waves are in the Winter, if you're visiting in the Summer...you're not going to see much except a short beach. Giovanni's Shrimp Truck can be found in Haleiwa, that's the original shrimp truck and you should eat there. M Matsumoto Shave Ice is on the way to Haleiwa, the original while good can be very crowded.

- Diamond Head, South of Waikiki is the extinct volcano called Diamond Head (forgot the poly name), which along it's rim, has a number of old fortifications and emplacements that you can hike up and geta fantastic view of the area...not to mention a bit cooler and breezy if the day is hot and humid. There's a lot of stairs in this hike so bring plenty of water and get your legs ready, I believe you'll have to pay for parking but, it's worth it. Expect 2-3 hours there.

- Beaches, The areas to the East, south of Kailua are some of my favorite and many other's too. The windward side of the island is quiet like the North Shore, but they don't get hammered as bad from the storms, which means the beaches are wider and more gentile. A little further south is Waimanalo, also a great beach area. If you head West, go past Kapolei to the Ko Olina development area. Several hotels and Disney have their resort properties here, at the far end is public parking adjacent to the marina; beaches in HI are public property and access has to be provided. Pack the cooler and a few towels and enjoy one of the nicer ends of the island.

- Shopping, Besides the big Ala'Moana mall...which is like every other mall in the US, the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet is always a treat. From finding all the local snacks, to bringing back souvenirs for everyone at a decent price, the flea market was always a good spot. It's truly a swap meet so, if you need new tires or, an appliance, it's there. Lots of families do their clothing shopping there as the prices are affordable in the prints/designs that everyone likes. Wed, Sat & Sun I believe. If you wanna bring back mac nuts or, HI coffee...go to Costco; Costco does a great job of sourcing local food stuffs and the HI Costco's are a wonderland of this. Actually Costco is where you will find the cheapest gas on the island. Before you go, download the app and make sure you map all the Costco's on the island.

Word of warning. Tourists are big business for everyone including the petty thieves. DO NOT LEAVE THINGS IN YOUR RENTAL CAR. Can't emphasis it enough, if you have to leave stuff, put it in the trunk, covering things up with the beach towel is a signal not a cover. The redneck/ghetto Polynesian natives can be pretty surly if you run into the wrong bunch, beaches and their parking lots are the most common areas. Just watch yourself, and move off the X if things are looking a bit sketchy; there's no reason to drive around the island, you'll discover some of these no-go areas. Police are under funded in HI, outside of Honolulu, it's not uncommon to see privately owned vehicles being used for work, that's how bad it is for some communities.

Posts: 14637 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Being military meant we had access to Bellows Air Force Station, great uncrowded beaches.

Gotta agree. It was like we had the beach to ourselves.

Loved the glider ride over the island we got from the airport up at the North Shore.

On the Big Island, night hike on the lava fields to see a flow were neat, you'll see more stars than in your entire life. Wear good shoes and have a good flashlight, the footing is uneven at best.

Sitting on the steps of a roasting shack in Kona having one of the best cuppa's ever....

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Many thanks again, all - great, great info!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Just back from O’ahu with the Mrs., our first trip there. Wow! We absolutely want to go back.

A special thanks to those who recommended Turtle Bay Resort on the North Shore - we lodged there and thoroughly enjoyed it. We will book there again.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Pics, or it did not happen.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
So where'd you go, what'd you do, how was the food? And yes, photographic evidence!

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post