SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Update - A Big Mahalo - First Hawai’i Trip Now Complete - Preparing for First Trip to Hawaii - Links / Advice / Etc. Appreciated
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update - A Big Mahalo - First Hawai’i Trip Now Complete - Preparing for First Trip to Hawaii - Links / Advice / Etc. Appreciated Login/Join 
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted
My bride and I are planning on a first-time trip to Hawaii this year. We will be booking through a local travel agent - I’d also like the input and advice from the good folks here at SF.

We are looking at a 5- or 6-day stay, most likely on Oahu. What are the must-sees as well as the must-avoids, etc.? Is there a better or worse time of year for an excursion like this? Would being part of a tour group be advised, or should we tour on our own?

Thanks, all, for any advice, links, and info!

*** Update on page 2! ***

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TheFrontRange,

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
When it was me and bride, we spent a couple of days on Oahu, saw the big stuff, Pearl Harbor exhibits, took a one day trip offered by the hotel to the other side, hiked Diamond Head, swam Waikiki, etc.

Then we flew to Big Island for another couple of days, surveyed the Ironman course, drive to Hilo, visited the volcano park, and the active on on the coast, did a bunch of beaching and swimming. We stayed at Waikaloa there, at the time near new, having gone broke and operated by temporary management, before joining with Hilton, very spectacular, very comfortable.

Then we went to Kauai for a couple of days, a completely different experience, still spectacular, comfortable. Back to Oahu and back home. A great trip.

We were younger and a lot more vigorous then.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
If it were me and I had that many days, I'd do at least 2 or even 3 islands. Oahu, Big Island, and either Maui or Kauai. Unless you prefer to stay put more.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16350 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Pearl Harbor and the North Shore are must does IMO.

I haven’t been there for some time however, so besides that I don’t know.

I’ve done Maui one as well and honestly prefer it to the hustle of Oahu.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Honolulu is like most big cities on the coast. The beach is way too crowded for me, and we went in the slow season. I hate to think what it is like in the busy season. The rest of the island is nice. Definitely see Pearl Harbor. Take one of those guided bus tours the first day to figure out what you want to do. Personally my wife and I liked the Big Island best, it had the right mix of stuff to do without being too crowded. Maui was pretty, expensive, and felt like a tourist trap. Kauai was too laid back, like roll up the sidewalks after dinner laid back. Great hiking during the day, though. I liked the helicopter tours of each of islands. Also, if it the time of year the whales show up, go on a whale watching tour. My wife gets motion sickness, so she wasn't as much of a fan of either of those as I was.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I agree Pearl Harbor is a must and I highly suggest getting tickets well in advance. We also did Diamond Head. Stayed at Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki in the Rainbow Tower. It was a great location and with a stand alone lagooon right adjacent to the main beach. We would walk down the beach bar for the Hale Koa hotel for cheaper drinks and snacks. The Hale Koa hotel is military only but anyone can use the beach bar.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1906 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oahu is 'The Gathering Place' - it's crowded.

But there is TONS to do. Definitely go to the North Shore for a more relaxed vibe. The waves are HUGE there on the North Shore in the winter. So in many cases you can't safely swim on the north and west-facing coasts in the winter (~ Nov - Mar). Always check with the City / County lifeguards - they are pro's and VERY helpful. Being a lifeguard there for the City-County is a 'real' EMS job.

http://www.honolulu.gov/esdosls.html

However - in the summer months - the surf is quite calm on the North Shore and excellent swimming and snorkeling can be enjoyed. Definitely go here and jump off that rock!! (the local kids make it look easy!):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waimea_Bay,_Hawaii

North Shore resort I would recommend:

http://www.turtlebayresort.com/

Great casual breakfast / lunch on the North Shore can be found here.

http://www.cafehaleiwahawaiianislands.com/

Waikiki is on the Southeast-ish corner of the island. It's touristy but good shopping / dining. Lots of great hotels to choose from.

This is a good one right in the middle of everything:

http://www.moana-surfrider.com/

Ko Olina Resort is another nice area - it's further out west - a little bit outside the 'hustle and bustle' of Waikiki:

http://koolina.com/accommodations/four-seasons/

Definitely go to Pearl Harbor.

I like Oahu a lot - it's crowded but the beaches are still beautiful and you don't feel like you've fallen off the edge of the world. Plenty to do besides go to the beach.

Be careful in Waikiki after say 11PM - it gets rough. They have a crime problem there after hours. Just be careful / apply common sense.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018...ection-honolulu.html

I lived there on two separate occasions for 8 years total and have been to / stayed at all the above.

Hawaii is awesome. Two major downsides: horrible gun laws / liberal mindset and its really expensive.

------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/2760063134/p/1

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I've been to Hawaii 3 times, and I'll just post links to my photos taken each time. You might get some ideas of what to do from those.
1965 -- https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157631716672816/
2008 -- https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157608451822146/
2012 -- https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157631615257589/

Many of my pictures have Descriptions, and that might help.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
All my life my parents (both from Honolulu) told me to skip the Polynesian Cultural Center (on Oahu). Too touristy, they said. I finally went on one of my trips, and I loved it. I went with a buddy who also grew up on Oahu, and he loved it, too.

I would say if you can devote an entire day, go. I say entire day as it's on the opposite side of the island as Waikiki. Also, I would recommend staying for the luau and the stage show. Both great (only caveat if it matters to you, the place is run by the Mormons so no alcohol anywhere even during the luau).

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16350 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I did the Polynesian Cultural Center back in 1965, before it got so "touristy" and expensive. However, I think it's an interesting place to visit. Some of my 1965 photos were taken there.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What kind of interests do you & wife have? Shopping for her: Ala Moana Center, Eating: Many places, depending on budget could recommend a few.
Hiking: Many trails Outdoor activities: Many including Kualoa Ranch (ATV, horseback, zip line, type activities, Snorkeling (Hanauma Bay), Fishing tours, dinner cruises, yup a lot to decide from. Bishop Museum if you like Hawaiiana.

Must avoids...yes there is crime in Waikiki, so don't be a knucklehead and be walking down dark alley ways at 2:00 am by yourselves, there are alot of homeless especially around the backside of the Zoo, and other areas around town, walks on the beach are fine but not out too late. Don't think you'll be spending time at night in the Waipahu, Kalihi, Waianae area. Rental car, do not leave any valuables in plain sight when you park at the tourist look outs, plan ahead and take only what you need with you, they are watching and work fast...poof valuables gone!

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stay a couple of nights on Oahu to see Pearl Harbor and whatever else you pick. Then hop a flight to Maui for those other 5-6 nights. Depending on when you go, whales may or may not be there if that matters.

Posts: 3595 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Many, many thanks to all - what a mountain of good info here!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRBTX:
Stay a couple of nights on Oahu to see Pearl Harbor and whatever else you pick. Then hop a flight to Maui for those other 5-6 nights. Depending on when you go, whales may or may not be there if that matters.

My advice too. I have been to HI multiple times. My sister lives in Kanahoe on Oahu.

Maui has a nice mix of things to do. Short flight from Oahu. To me Honolulu is just another big city.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
We always stay at the Turtle Bay Resort on North Shore. In my opinion the North Shore is the most beautiful area on Oahu. Also close to the Polynesian Cultural Center which is worth a visit, Wimea Falls also nearby. Near places to see the great sea turtles. If you are lucky the whales will be just offshore and you can see them from the Turtle Bay Resort.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Pearl Harbor and the North Shore are must does IMO.

I haven’t been there for some time however, so besides that I don’t know.

I’ve done Maui one as well and honestly prefer it to the hustle of Oahu.

If it's summer time - snorkel the North Shore. It's amazing!!!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
We just got back from a 10 day stay on Maui and we LOVED it. The guys here lead us in the perfect direction, most notably Mama's Fish House, holy crap it was good.

We took a day trip to Oahu to see Pearl Harbor, we planned a LONG day there 4:15am to about 11:00pm all told. Once we hit the island we were a little disappointed coming from Maui, its BUSY. We tried to park to hit the beach and drove around forever, we called the airline and paid extra to fly back to Maui ass soon as we could. Maui is laid back more our speed.

Only suggestion I have is going to the Pig and the Lady restaurant, it was crazy good and prices were great for the quality of food you are getting.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3642 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
I was stationed at Wheeler AFB for 3 years on Oahu.

Oahu:
1. Pearl Harbor: The Arizona Memorial and the Bowfin submarine tour. Add in a visit to Punchbowl Crater for National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific.
2. Diamondhead (tough little climb with lots and lots of steps, bring water and a great camera...view from the top is spectacular).
3. Hanauma Bay; great snorkeling. One time we were there, three of us swam and played with five dolphins for about an hour.
4. Polynesian Cultural Center
5. North Shore: big waves Nov to Feb, calm water for snorkeling, swimming the rest of the year.

Being military meant we had access to Bellows Air Force Station, great uncrowded beaches.

Maui:
1. Beaches, beaches, beaches. Fantastic beaches.
2. Snorkeling and scuba diving
3. Whale watching tours (depending on time of the year).

I really liked Maui, did a bunch of 3 days/2 night trips there with various girlfriends. More laid back, not as crowded, not as expensive as Kaui was at the time.

Kaui:
1. Top resorts and great beaches, called the garden isle for a reason. If Eden still exists on earth it is on Kaui.

Top resorts with inclusive things on property (swimming with dolphins, etc), lots of really rich people have houses on Kaui. It was nice but much more expensive than Maui.

The Big Island:
1. Volcanoes and lava flows......Hawaii is the only state that is still growing. Big Grin
2. Beaches with different colored sand; white, black, and green.
3. Home to home to 8 of the 13 climate zones in the world.

For any of the islands you can add some ocean trips: booze cruises, fishing, or my favorite-learning to sail as in a sailboat.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Eat lots of Poke, Garlic Shrimp, and Musubi.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post