SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    United Airlines shelves lottery bonus program after employee backlash
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

United Airlines shelves lottery bonus program after employee backlash Login/Join 
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

I'll guess: he raised numbers/metrics of some sort while morale went to shit. Good people quit/retired.

You, Sir, are absolutely correct.

In his short time with us, morale plummeted. And his hand-picked successor made it even worse.

Lots of good people left as mediocre sycophants were promoted into newly created "director" and "VP" positions that we'd somehow been able to function without previously.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lottery for your bonus, gee what could go wrong... Roll Eyes

I recently got the bonus structure to our yearly bonus..it was an incredible, 3-part convoluted, pyramid of fantasy and dreams. We all laughed and wondered over lunch who dreamed up such a thing and what kind of results they believed would come about.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Bonuses cost X, scheme costs X*0.8=Y. Wow! I just saved the company money. I’m entitled to a bonus of Y*0.8. I’m a gonna be rich. No need to poll the plebes. They’ll love it.

Posts: 2011 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
It's been my experience in these types of promotions and rewards, that the system is heavily rigged to give the 'right' person the prize. So yeah, I'd be a little ticked off too.

Worked for a large snack food company years ago, and one year us salesman had a very good year and up our sales over 20%. One day our district manager went on vacation to Hawaii. A month later we found out his trip was free because of the good sales we done. Nice.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post