SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    United Airlines shelves lottery bonus program after employee backlash
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

United Airlines shelves lottery bonus program after employee backlash Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted
Can you imagine? Employees were upset because management decided that it was better to take everyone's bonus away, give 1 lucky person $100K and 1,300 a smaller bonus.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/0...y-angering-some.html

A backlash from employees prompted United Airlines to shelve a quarterly bonus lottery plan that made it more difficult for staff to earn rewards.

"Our intention was to introduce a better, more exciting program, but we misjudged how these changes would be received by many of you," United's president, Scott Kirby, said in a note to employees.

United had been giving employees bonuses each quarter when they met certain company performance metrics. But they changed it for a new lottery program in which qualifying employees could enter to win prizes. For example, a single employee could win $100,000, while other prizes included vacations and cash rewards, according to the Chicago Business Journal, citing a company memo.

The change to the bonus program comes as United and other airlines are facing higher fuel and other costs but are also adding service.

Now United is "pressing the pause button" on the program as it reviews employee feedback, Kirby said.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
"adding service?"

what service are they adding? There is less service every time I fly. This was a seriously stupid idea though, but so totally typical of modern management.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
It's been my experience in these types of promotions and rewards, that the system is heavily rigged to give the 'right' person the prize. So yeah, I'd be a little ticked off too.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
"adding service?"

what service are they adding? There is less service every time I fly. This was a seriously stupid idea though, but so totally typical of modern management.

I smiled at the article, as I am teaching an upper division mgmt acct class this quarter, this will be the current event to start out next Wednesday's class. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
What? No Jelly of the Month club?

Executives suck.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Take away your bonus for a chance to win a much larger one. That sounds real “exciting” to me.

Under the proposed plan, employees might be less motivated to do good work, knowing that their bonus isn't cash, it's a chance to win a bonus, which they probably won't win.

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You can bet your bottom dollar that the person or persons who came up with this brilliant idea have gotten and will get their full bonuses.

Posts: 107580 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Here's an idea, forgo any bonuses for those that hold the title of VP or higher and create the pool. See if that gets approved.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
how much you wanna bet that Kirby has never worked as a pilot, baggage handler or FA

he probably has an MBA which is the death-knell of most businesses

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Echtermetzger:
What? No Jelly of the Month club?
That's the gift that keeps on giving the whole year!

Posts: 6470 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It boggles my mind that Management can't see these things coming.

Hard as it is for me to realize and accept, corporations really are run by idiots.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a time when airline execs, and I'm sure this applies to other industries as well, came up through the ranks at that particular company. They understood the culture and what it meant to be a front line employee. Now, the top offices are filled with lame brained MBAs whose only concern is the stock holders and meeting their data driven performance metrics. People are just cogs in the wheel, a necessary evil to keep the machine running.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
"adding service?"

It's United. They're probably offering to break everyone's guitars

No one likes to have what he has earned given to someone who hasn't earned it. No one. Likes it.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crom:
Board rooms are echo chambers.

Posts: 107580 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
"adding service?"

Well free dental services for one. Remember that cooky Asian doctor who got his teeth extracted for free!

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crom:

Hard as it is for me to realize and accept, corporations really are run by idiots.

Probably taken as advice from consultants that this is what they should do.

Or is management that out of touch with reality that they had no idea this could happen?

Probably both.

Posts: 13110 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
What a stupid idea! Eek

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hell they ought to do it and televise it for the rest of us. I am sure someone like Drew Carey could help out. Tight shots on those that did not win cash and prizes would be interesting. Taking it a step further they could just draw straws for who would lose their job in a downsizing.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Puckpilot78:
There was a time when airline execs, and I'm sure this applies to other industries as well, came up through the ranks at that particular company. They understood the culture and what it meant to be a front line employee. Now, the top offices are filled with lame brained MBAs whose only concern is the stock holders and meeting their data driven performance metrics. People are just cogs in the wheel, a necessary evil to keep the machine running.

+1

Definitely the case at United. My former boss was a C-level exec at United before he came to my company. He had no history in the airline business; United was just a stepping stone on his climb to bigger and better things. He was only at United for 2 or 3 years before leaving and coming to my company. Again, he had no experience in our industry, and his time here was equally short (2 years) before he moved on to an even bigger paycheck.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
Definitely the case at United. My former boss was a C-level exec at United before he came to my company. He had no history in the airline business; United was just a stepping stone on his climb to bigger and better things. He was only at United for 2 or 3 years before leaving and coming to my company. Again, he had no experience in our industry, and his time here was equally short (2 years) before he moved on to an even bigger paycheck.

Did he fuck it up in those 2 years he was there?

I'll guess: he raised numbers/metrics of some sort while morale went to shit. Good people quit/retired.

Posts: 13110 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post