SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Backlash Against The NRA
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Backlash Against The NRA Login/Join 
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
NRA Statement on Corporate Partnerships:

"FAIRFAX, VA – The more than five million law-abiding members of the National Rifle Association have enjoyed discounts and cost-saving programs from many American corporations that have partnered with the NRA to expand member benefits.

Since the tragedy in Parkland, Florida, a number of companies have decided to sever their relationshipwith the NRA, in an effort to punish our members who are doctors, farmers, law enforcement officers, fire fighters, nurses, shop owners and school teachers that live in every American community. We are men and women who represent every American ethnic group, every one of the world’s religions and every form of political commitment.

The law-abiding members of the NRA had nothing at all to do with the failure of that school’s security preparedness, the failure of America’s mental health system, the failure of the National Instant Check System or the cruel failures of both federal and local law enforcement.

Despite that, some corporations have decided to punish NRA membership in a shameful display of political and civic cowardice. In time, these brands will be replaced by others who recognize that patriotism and determined commitment to Constitutional freedoms are characteristics of a marketplace they very much want to serve.

Let it be absolutely clear. The loss of a discount will neither scare nor distract one single NRA member from our mission to stand and defend the individual freedoms that have always made America the greatest nation in the world."

https://www.nraila.org/article...rporate-partnerships

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
Add Delta and United the list.

Another reason to avoid United and their shitty services. I already avoid them like the plague.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These companies will lose more business over this than they'll gain. And it serves them right. Nobody joins or quits the NRA because of these so-called discounts, which most of us can get anyway from AAA or other memberships, so this will have zero financial impact on the NRA. If anything it will drive more donations, but we will remember the companies that spit in our faces.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Let your US Congressmen and Senators know you oppose any gun control measures that would impact law abiding gun owners.

https://act.nraila.org/takeaction.aspx?AlertID=1901

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We're going to be flying come May or so. Delta essentially "owns" the closest airport to me.

We will be going elsewhere.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Who knows of a rental car company that hasn’t cut off NRA members? I need one next month in Pennsylvania.

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
USPS Money orders will get a huge bump in use, should these financial asshats start monkeying with the ability of folks to buy things.
You gotta pay a fee for them things (USPS money orders). I keep seeing signs on Amscot stores, offering no-cost money orders. I have not tried them, since I have good checking account service with my local credit union. I'm guessing that this credit union is not anti-gun, since the sign on the door asks me not to wear sunglasses, hats, or motorcycle helmets, but does not mention guns.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"It's very possible that you are an investor in the major gunmakers."

The horror, the horror.

Complete article:

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/n...-guns-213600810.html

Your retirement account might be invested in guns. Changing that isn't easy

Annie Nova CNBC February 23, 2018

Perhaps you've recently wondered if your money is in gun stocks, and if you can or should take it out. Warning: The answer is complicated.

It's very possible that you are an investor in the major gunmakers .

An analysis by the nonprofit advocacy group Goodbye Gun Stocks found that 35 percent of U.S. stock mutual funds contain investments in a maker or retailer of guns and ammunition.

You can check to see if your investment fund is "gun-free," or how much of your money goes to guns, on their website. Vanguard also offers its investors a way to screen funds for specific holdings.

Concerned investors can also ask their financial advisor for a breakdown of exactly where their money is flowing.

Rick Rodgers, director at Innovest Portfolio Solutions, says investors often assume their financial advisors have screened investments for certain companies the investor might find problematic, when in fact they haven't. Better communication is needed, he said.

"Describe what you wish not to invest in," Rodgers said. "Have the advisor present evidence that they've done the screening."

Yet experts say divestment isn't necessarily the best route if, say, you would like to see more gun controls put in place.

Jamie Cox of Harris Financial Group, which manages $500 million for about 800 middle-class families, recommends what might seem a counter-intuitive approach: Don't sell your shares.

"You're better to band together and become a bigger fraction of ownership," Cox said.

He pointed to recent news that BlackRock, the world's largest asset manager and one of the biggest shareholders of gunmakers, announced on Thursday it will speak to gunmakers about society's expectations as mass shootings have become disturbingly common.

"If they're managing money on behalf of millions of Americans and they accumulate a large position in company X, they can influence decision making within the corporation," Cox said.

He added, "Just because you sell the stock doesn't mean the company doesn't continue to operate. The better way is to come up with rules."

Ian Lanoff, a Washington, D.C.-based lawyer who advises state pension funds on their fiduciary responsibilities, said the divestment of pension funds in the tobacco industry 15 years ago had little impact.

"I didn't see any evidence that tobacco companies cared at all," Lanoff said "I've heard investment experts say to my boards, other people will just buy the stock if you sell it."

For investors looking at retirement accounts, divestment may leave them with few (or no) options. Many index funds that track the market don't leave room for specification. And your company might not provide a 401(k) option that is "gun-free."

Rather than focus on weeding out certain companies, experts say it can be easier to focus on finding businesses you support via so-called ESG investing — which looks for companies with good track records on environmental, social and governance factors. This opens up more possibilities.

"ESG funds most likely won't own stocks in gun manufacturers and defense contractors," said Aaron Pottichen, president of retirement services for CLS Partners in Austin, who has seen more clients looking for such investments.

Indeed, investors now consider "environmental," "social" and "governance" factors across $8.72 trillion in professionally managed assets — a 33 percent climb from 2014. Rodgers said his research shows that 60 percent of millennials want their investments screened for these factors, compared with just 29 percent of baby boomers.

You can check if your company offers the option for you to self-direct your 401(k) account into an ESG fund. If so, you can veer away form the standard options and move, "into the wild west with hundreds of investment options available to you."

The downside, Pottichen said, is that you could be taking more risks since you're not in an investing plan endorsed by the company.

If you can't self-direct your account, and none of the 401(k) choices are "gun-free," Rodgers recommends people go to their human resources department and ask who oversees the retirement accounts.

Sometimes it will be an investment committee, and sometimes it will be just one person. Either way, you can ask for them to provide a socially responsible investing option. Usually when a company adds such an option, Rodgers said, it's because employees have requested it.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
There needs to be backlash for those companies who backlash. Mad

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
These loons, despite repeated demonstrations that what they do has this effect, still haven't figured out that the more they do of this the harder becomes our stance, the more powerful becomes the NRA, and the more guns and ammo gets put on the street.

How can they possibly be so flipping myopic?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
A New York Times columnist floated the idea of having banks and credit card companies cut business ties with retailers that sell assault weapons and accessories

Yea go ahead and tell Walmart they cant use VISA anymore. See how that plays out for ya.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

How can they possibly be so flipping myopic?

They give myopes a bad name. For the record, I like myopes (and hyperopes and presbyopes)

Light bender eye mender

Posts: 412 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
With help (plagiarism) from some of Balze's message and the NRA release, here is what I have sent out this morning. Sent to 12 companies and verifying 6 others to ensure they did in fact announce severing ties to the NRA.

Company X

I’m writing to voice my disappointment in your decision to acquiesce to anarchists and leftist agitators by succumbing to threats and intimidation by disassociating yourself with the NRA. I am a proud life member of the NRA because I value freedom and the rights recognized in our US Constitution and the Bill of Rights — the bedrocks of what make me an American. The NRA is an organization full of men and women just like me, law abiding Americans who love this country and all the things that make us free as individuals. We are doctors, engineers, farmers, law enforcement officers, fire fighters, military members, nurses, shop owners and school teachers that live in every American community. We are men and women who represent every American ethnic group, every one of the world’s religions and every form of political commitment.

The law-abiding members of the NRA had nothing at all to do with the failure of that school’s security preparedness, the failure of America’s mental health system, the failure of the National Instant Check System or the cruel failures of both federal and local law enforcement that stood by and did nothing. Your decision to turn your back on us tells me that you have bought into the lies and misinformation perpetuated by the media and those who are feeding them these lies.

The irony of all this, the sick individuals committing these unspeakable crimes are not even NRA members. So in effect, your unhinged, knee jerk reactions really do nothing to address the real issue. You seek to punish law abiding citizen and not those responsible.

I implore you to rethink your position and not shun the good men and women who make up the NRA by cowering to people who despise individual freedom and the means by which to keep it. Your decision to disrespect millions of Americans who have absolutely nothing at all to do with criminals who perform heinous acts upon mankind has me earnestly rethinking that loyalty. When you turn your back on the NRA, you are turning your back on me personally.

I hope my words to you have adequately expressed my feelings, and that you will give them honest consideration. Honesty, after all, is something that is sorely lacking in our society; a fact that is blatantly evident when we see this type of illogical reaction to those whose only credibility is that they can scream the loudest.

Make no mistake, as long as this is your position, I can and will live quite comfortable without your product and will not purchase anything associated to your company and product. There are more than 100 million legal gun owners in the United States and more than 5 million NRA members. This is the size of the potential customer base you have mobilized against you.

Regards,
End of message

------------------

#Support The NRA

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Do they really want to pick a financial war with gun owners?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
USPS Money orders will get a huge bump in use, should these financial asshats start monkeying with the ability of folks to buy things.
You gotta pay a fee for them things (USPS money orders). I keep seeing signs on Amscot stores, offering no-cost money orders. I have not tried them, since I have good checking account service with my local credit union. I'm guessing that this credit union is not anti-gun, since the sign on the door asks me not to wear sunglasses, hats, or motorcycle helmets, but does not mention guns.

And don't forget about the personal bill pay/transfer services such as PopMoney that are available to you through your on-line banking services. They're dirt cheap (a buck or so per transaction), easy to use, and very responsive and reliable.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
I've got a Skymiles card with Delta.

They've just ensured that my tax return will clear the balance on that card, and that it will go in a drawer until such time as I can milk every last dollar value from the points I've earned on it in airfare.

I remember when BoA decided this was a good idea. As memory serves, they stopped, some time ago.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
so much hypocrisy...so few morals

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1721 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Wendy has had the NRA card for 20 years and just cut it up today. She will be calling customer service for the card. It will not go well for the CS person on the other end. Myself, I will make sure that I keep a list of those companies that have removed the NRA membership from their discount programs. I nor shall my company spend a penny with them. I hope this goes for all members of this Forum and all the other firearms forums in the country. We may not put them out of business but we'll hurt their bottom line. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
If Youtube bans gun videos, why not start up “Ourtube” and run what we want?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post