SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Did I kill my lawn??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did I kill my lawn?? Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
So a couple weeks ago I raked leaves into a pile for the kids. Then life got in the way and the oikebdidnt get cleaned up for about 2 weeks until today. Between then and now the pile got compacted and spread out a little and rained on once.

Today I went out and ran the mower over the lawn. Beneath the remains of the leave pile I found a mud pit and not grass.

Will the lawn return????

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Mud pit? Yeah... I'm thinking not very likely. ICBW, though.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Bermuda grass?

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
It’s a mix/blend from a local sod grower. If I recall correctly it’s mostly some variety of fescue with some bluegrass.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
Kill it?
No, but I bet you gave it a heckuva scar.

I've left leaf piles on the grass and found white, nasty looking grass after removal. I think the mud pit is your clue it ain't coming back.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3138 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
You probably didn't kill it...but you did hurt it's feelings...I've let leaves pile up much in the same circumstances with my kids and grandkids...by late spring everything pretty much filled in. Keep in mind over winter, grass survives underground...

I just saw you are in Cali...grassy things there may be different than here in TN...you might toss out a couple handfuls of grass seed to be on the safe side and remember to keep it watered.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Difference is the two of you are in NJ & TN. The OP's in CA. It's been very warm, hot, even, in CA. Piled-up leaves + moisture + heat = composting.

I think he composted the grass under the leaves.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I have St. Augustine grass and there has been times I let a huge pile of leaves stay WAY too long and the grass seemed dead. It took about 12 months, but the grass returned to normal in that area. I guess it depends on the the type of grass and situation.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
So tossing some seed won’t hurt? When should that be done?

Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Update: my landscape professional,aka dad, happened to stop by. He said it’s a mix of Bermuda, rye, bluegrass, and fescue and that the Bermuda will always come back and the rye should be doing an annual sprout in a few weeks.

Here is a picture of the carnage. Maybe.

Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
IMHO you can't really "kill" Bermuda...you just piss it off enough to get back at you by it's being stubborn to grow back for your "sins"...it's 90% of what my yard is...I have learned to love and somewhat respect it (I have no choice because I can't kill it) Big Grin...look to your dad for advice, dads are wise Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Bermuda will grow as long as the nights don't get cooler than 50 degrees, in my experience. Rye will grow as long as temps stay above freezing.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
So tossing some seed won’t hurt? When should that be done?

Ask the local nursery when you get the seed but grass of the type you mentioned is really a cool weather crop. Right now is likely a really good time to be putting seed out.

Oh BTW - #grasslives matter you killer.

Posts: 1950 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you will be fine.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Suggest you call it a "yard" and not a "lawn." A neighbor gave that advice to set lower expectations. : )

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You probably didn't kill it...but you did hurt it's feelings...

Please create a safe space for it.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
Suggest you call it a "yard" and not a "lawn." A neighbor gave that advice to set lower expectations. : )

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Today’s report:

No change. Lol. The grass is still offended.

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
It’ll be a few weeks, at least. Be patient, throw some seed on. It’ll be fine

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post