SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm about to purchase a Honda Passport
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm about to purchase a Honda Passport Login/Join 
Low Profile Member
posted
I've been a Toyota/Lexus fanboy for a very long time now.
I want a new vehicle. My main wants are: 2 row SUV, 6 cylinder naturally aspirated, regular fuel, automatic transmission, FWD, 360 degree camera.
My 'short list' has pretty much come down to a Honda Passport touring trim. It checks a lot of my boxes although it does not have a 360 degree camera. It also has a SOHC engine and I would prefer a DOHC engine. All things considered I'm ready to move ahead with the Passport.
I'm wondering if anyone has any pertinent experience, knowledge or comments that they would be willing to share with me. Thanks

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
We have not pulled the trigger on a new vehicle. But we did look at the Honda. I was thinking Pilot but my wife liked the Passport. Is there a reason not to buy the awd version?
It has got mostly positive and mixed reviews. I think it is a good rig.

Ridgeline?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
I don't feel I need AWD because of the type of driving I do and where I do it. The additional expense up front as well as the additional complication which seems to me like more trouble and expense down the line is something I would rather avoid. Also the passport with AWD rides a little higher (an inch if I recall correctly) and the slightly lower mileage and noise is something I've considered as well.
I did take a hard look at the ridgeline because a friend has one and I like it but all things considered the SUV makes more sense for me.

Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We have a 2019 Passport Elite that now has 26,000 miles of experience. All in all it’s a good ride with lots of features. I have driven it a number of times at least 600 miles in a day with one stretch of 1,100 last spring. Ours is quiet, powerful and we load it up for our annual pilgrimage south. Fuel mileage is at 23.78 since new - yes there’s an app for that. It tracks very well.

Visibility is good and yes, it should have a 360 camera. Rear seats fold flat for loading our winter cargo and much room is found under the back cover. Our tires are at about 50% and the paint job is great. Ours is red.

Downsides are in some of the safety features. Our automatic high beams are worthless and the adaptive cruise control doesn’t anticipate slower cars ahead as smoothly as it could. Nothing dangerous however.

We have not had it back to the dealer with the exception of our first free oil change. We got about 10% off sticker at our local dealer without any issues.

We added die cast running boards, rear mat and seat back covers for the second row.

If you want anything further, my email is in my profile.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Downsides are in some of the safety features. Our automatic high beams are worthless and the adaptive cruise control doesn’t anticipate slower cars ahead as smoothly as it could. Nothing dangerous however.

Yes I've read that. I tend to just turn all those things off so I'm not concerned about that. I've also read that some of the 2019's had issues with the infotainment system early on but it seems they have that taken care of.

Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I think this Passport will be a BIG seller for Honda. I'm sure you will be very happy with it.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1171 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I have found you can't go wrong with almost anything made by Honda or Toyota.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
The wife has a 2017 CR-V Touring, AWD. That suv has about 60000 miles on her now and we have been very happy with it. Super dependable and she get 34 miles to the gallon.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love automatic high beams. I never forget to turn off high beams as traffic approaches anymore. My wife’s Toyota adaptive cruise control is like you describe. Nothing unsafe but very abrupt. I hate it. I have two Subaru’s with same adaptive cc and they are very smooth. I just traded in a 19 Toyota and they apparently heard the complaints though because they fixed the cc on that one.

Toyota guy was big on the 360 camera. Between mirrors and rear camera I couldn’t really understand the hype. What does everyone use 360 cameras for?

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How long are you planning on keeping it? One thing I look at is whether the engine has a timing belt or chain. Belts will require periodic replacement, chains do not. Back when my wife was looking at SUVs, the Honda had a timing belt vs the Toyota with a chain. We ended up getting her a 4Runner.

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 872 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RAV4 doesn't check enough boxes? Was looking at a 2021 Pilot but went with a Highlander. Only negative I heard on the Honda is the 10 speed transmission. The Passport is sharp looking.

Posts: 194 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
nasig - Head over to https://www.passportforums.com/ for some further insight into the pros and cons. I watch this daily.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stuffgeek:
RAV4 doesn't check enough boxes? Was looking at a 2021 Pilot but went with a Highlander. Only negative I heard on the Honda is the 10 speed transmission. The Passport is sharp looking.

I like both the rav 4 and highlander per my natural tendency to toyota. i prefer the engine, size and the ride quality of the passport over the rav 4 and the 2 row and length over the highlander.

Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobLew:
How long are you planning on keeping it? One thing I look at is whether the engine has a timing belt or chain. Belts will require periodic replacement, chains do not. Back when my wife was looking at SUVs, the Honda had a timing belt vs the Toyota with a chain. We ended up getting her a 4Runner.

yes i prefer a chain as well. unfortunately it's a belt with the passport but frankly at my age i don't think it will ever become an issue.

Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
nasig - Head over to https://www.passportforums.com/ for some further insight into the pros and cons. I watch this daily.

thanks

posted Hide Post
No experience with the Passport, but we've had multiple Hondas we've been happy with.

You did not mention new, used, or lease, but in my area there's an offer for 0% APR on new:

Expires 03/01/21
2021 Passport Special APR

0% APR for 24-48 months

or 0.9% for 49-60 months

or 1.9% for 61-72 months

For well-qualified buyers. Example: 10% down payment. 48 months financing at $20.83/month per $1,000 financed.

You may not get the same deal where you live, check with Honda if you're interested:

https://automobiles.honda.com/

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I hadn't heard Honda was reusing the Passport name. Thread confused me at first. Smile

(this will always be the Honda Passport in my mind lol)

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
0% APR for 24-48 months

good to know. I've planned on cash but with 0% APR on the table I'd have to re evaluate

posted Hide Post
Why do you care how many cams the engine has? No offense or anything but I think that’s weird.

Posts: 548 | Location: washington state. | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lunchbox:
Why do you care how many cams the engine has? No offense or anything but I think that’s weird.

The DOHC engine is generally considered more efficient than the SOHC particularly at higher speeds and much of my driving is higher speeds