SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My workout, my gym
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My workout, my gym Login/Join 
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
There's a lot of moisture in fresh cut wood. Tough to get it to light and it wastes a lot of your heat boiling off the water.

I can readily understand that it might be tough to get it to light but the idea of wasting heat to boil off the water is an eye opener and makes perfect sense. Thank you.

It can also depend on the purpose of your fire. Outside for fun probably doesn't matter so much, but in a woodstove it can cause creosote to build up more in the chimney.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
A old trick --- after taken down the tree either by chainsaw or falling by mother nature is to leave it fully intack for a couple of weeks/months or as long as possible and the leaves will help dry out the larger limbs and body. But seasoning storage is still needed. ......................... drill sgt.

Interesting - I had never considered that. In this case I had no choice as the landowner wanted it gone asap.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8513 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last Monday there was a 45 ft. Ash tree cut down on the south side of town.

About three foot from the ground,
Tuesday someone had trimmed it up pretty good

Thursday, a bunch more trimming.

Today I actually saw who was doing the work. Two older gentleman,
One was 68 the other mid 70's
Eek

Half of the tandem axle dump trailer was full.

They had a 3 series Deere tractor with a bucket loader..

They were swinging those chain saws like they were eating irons at the pot luck.

Pretty impressive

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
Bendable, That will likely be me when I reach that age. Razz

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8513 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
www.thelogox.com

Cool videos on youtube

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post