SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A 30 second testament to the worthlessness of the next generation
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A 30 second testament to the worthlessness of the next generation Login/Join 
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Soon after my daughter got her license, I taught how to change a tire. Finished, I had her change it on her own. Today, the story has grown to my having the car up on blocks, etc.
Funny. She's taught more then a few males how to change tires.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm only 42 so a solid Gen x'er and im making some good scratch at this point in my life and have a bunch of demands on my time. When I was a teen and young 20s the situation was reversed. Lots of time and little money so I could do my own oil and brakes and such. Now I weigh the opportunity cost of laying in my driveway for a few hours to do brakes, take the rotors to get surfaced if necessary etc vs paying somebody. I'll pay somebody at this point in my life becuse I trust it will be done correctly the first time and I have recourse.

I suspect at some point when my 9 year old boy and my 7 year old daughter are the correct age and the opportunity arises I will teach them these things. For sure how to change a tire. My boy already has his eyes on my new Tacoma in 7-8 years when he gets his license. Actual words out of his mouth "Gee dad when I get my license you will be ready to buy a new truck and i get this one, right ?" lol.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
I got a text message from my daughter last night and she said "Thanks for teaching me to change a tire, Dad. Came in handy tonight!"
Apparently she hit a piece of metal on the road and it took out one tire.
She only weighs about 120 lbs, so I asked her how she got the lug nuts tight. She said she stood on the lug nut wrench and jumped up and down Smile.

She was my range partner for years and can shoot practically everything quite well, including the .44 Mag. She had a friend who felt unsafe after her apartment was broken into by the friends ex-boyfriend. She told her friend; "You can come over and stay with me for a while, if you want. I have guns and know how to use them". Ha, I'm so proud of her.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xl_target:
...She said she stood on the lug nut wrench and jumped up and down Smile.

Whoah!!!

Get her a long-handle torque wrench for Christmas, so she doesn't strip a lug nut!

And as soon as possible, check her work. I'm guessing that bouncing a 120-lb girl on a 1-1/2-ft lug wrench may have put 200 foot-pounds or more on those poor things.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9146 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:

Whoah!!!

Get her a long-handle torque wrench for Christmas, so she doesn't strip a lug nut!

And as soon as possible, check her work. I'm guessing that bouncing a 120-lb girl on a 1-1/2-ft lug wrench may have put 200 foot-pounds or more on those poor things.

I understand your concerns, but this is the way the 120some pound folks have operated for years. Smile

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
She was my range partner for years and can shoot practically everything quite well, including the .44 Mag.

Awesome. Based on the pic she has good form, too. I'm going to show that to my own daughter.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I understand your concerns, but this is the way the 120some pound folks have operated for years. Smile

Sadly, you are right. In this case, though, xl_target's daughter seems capable and motivated, just under-tooled. Wink

#lugnutshaverightstoo!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9146 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:

Whoah!!!

She doesn't live at home anymore, so I can't check her work. However, she has a tire shop about four blocks from her house and she took it there in the morning.

The big thing is to get the tire changed and get away from the side of the road as quickly as possible, especially at night. If she strips the threads on a stud, no big deal. It can be replaced.

I'd rather that than have someone think that they can take advantage of a 5' 2" kid stranded on the side of the road looking around helplessly. They don't call it Murderopolis for nothing.

Well, actually the Twin Cities are safer than a lot of other places.

quote:
Sadly, you are right. In this case, though, xl_target's daughter seems capable and motivated, just under-tooled.

#lugnutshaverightstoo!

She usually says that she's not small, she's just "space efficient"

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
Those commercials drive me nuts. Like the one where the lady slid into a tree and she is miffed that her insurance rate went up. Well, you big dummy don't slide into a damn tree!!!
What irks me about the Liberty commercials is that they imply that only their company offers full restitution for "totaled" cars. I imagine every company has a policy that offers the same, and they will be much more expensive than the more limited ones (that most people elect to buy). "Do they expect you to drive on only 3 wheels?" No, Missy, they expect you to pay the other 1/4 of the replacement cost. Sheesh!

Regarding changing tires, I was taught how to do that when my dad taught me to drive (long story there). And when I was younger I changed quite a few of them. I remember one incident changing a driver's side tire on the expressway in a snowstorm at night, wearing my AFROTC dress uniform. (My dad decided upgrade all the tires on our car after that--I'd had to change 3 of them in recent history.) Now that I'm older, and have more money, I usually let someone else do it. I still know how, but prefer not to.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Not knowing how to change a tire is not new.

About 45 years ago an fellow customer service engineer for IBM were leaving an account, having worked all night. In the garage we came across a woman, perhaps 30 years old. She was standing next to her car, in tears. We stopped to find out what was wrong. She had a flat, and had no idea what to do about it. Note, this was back when cars had spares, jacks, etc.

We changed it for her, showing her how to do it.

She wanted to pay us, but we refused and went on our way. Took less than 5 minutes to change it.

As others have said, many cars today do not even have spares. I had to buy one of those donut tires, jack, etc to put in my 2012 Hyundai.

The factory solution was to put a can of that gooey shit and a 12 VDC "air pump" in where the spare was supposed to go. Would have taken a damned week to pump up a tire with that POS.

AIR, I was about 8-10 when I learned how to change a flat.

At about 15, I changed the clutch pressure plate on my Model A pickup. Alone.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I wasn't allowed to drive the car before I could change a tire, change the oil, swap blown bulbs/fuses and do the brakes.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Used to be adults (not just the parents) prepared children for the "road." Now, many adults prepare the "road" for the children.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I know how to change a tire, I have certainly changed enough of them in my lifetime.

Now, approaching 82, with health issues, I have some physical limitations. I could probably change a tire if it were absolutely necessary, but at this point in my life I'd prefer not to risk injury.

My auto insurance policy has an add-on for roadside assistance. Twenty-five bucks a year per vehicle is well worth it to me, to be able to have somebody younger and stronger do the job.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
Daughter turned 16 and was hot to get her DL. Made it abundantly clear she wanted my Mustang. I told her no problem. You get some familiarization, pass the requisite tests, it's yours.

Day came for the familiarization. Less than 5 minutes in, she was so fidgety, I asked her what the problem was (I was pointing out the various components under the hood).

She said it was boring, she had no interest in learning any of it, she just wanted to have the keys to drive - and her 'boyfriend' (she didn't have one at the time) would take care of all that, because "that's what men are for". I explained to her, she may be in a remote location and no-one is coming to rescue her. She said she didn't care.

I told her she had two choices. My way, with her demonstrating some proficiency and responsibility before I assisted her going out on the public roadways - or her way - where I would not spend a single dime, ever, in her entire life - on anything to do with transportation.

She wanted to go back inside and watch TV.

Saved me a lot of aggravation, expense and concern over the years. I honestly never spent a single dime toward her conveying herself anywhere. Ever.

Very, very good philosphy.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
My kids will absolutely, know how to change a tire, check the tire pressure, check the oil, check all the fluids, etc at the time they get a drivers license.

If they don't, then they don't drive until they know how to do all that. Simple.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I know how to change a tire, I have certainly changed enough of them in my lifetime.

Now, approaching 82, with health issues, I have some physical limitations. I could probably change a tire if it were absolutely necessary, but at this point in my life I'd prefer not to risk injury.

My auto insurance policy has an add-on for roadside assistance. Twenty-five bucks a year per vehicle is well worth it to me, to be able to have somebody younger and stronger do the job.

Situation specific, but probably equally important to know how to do this. Changing a tire on a high speed highway is no longer like jacking up your '57 Chevy on the way back from the drive-in, and more than one person is killed or injured annually in the exercise of just using a jack, about 3,000 in 2015. So safety tip #1 - get off the highway somewhere safe if possible, #2 - put out flares/triangles, and #3 - know how to use a jack safely for the car you are driving. And maybe should be #1 - check your tires often before they need changing on a busy stretch of road, accidents excepted. This doesn't even count the issue of young female (or even male) drivers on a deserted stretch of road encountering Jack the Ripper, or being splattered by your average Interstate idiot (check the next time you're out how many drivers give any space - or how much - to a stranded car on the side of the road). So I'd much rather my kid have the roadside assistance number memorized and speed dialed into her cellphone before she learned how to spin a lug wrench (both are ideal of course).

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:

She told her friend; "You can come over and stay with me for a while, if you want. I have guns and know how to use them."

Ha, I'm so proud of her.

Just absolutely love that, sir ! ! ! Big Grin

Would that there were more daughters like this !

You should be very proud of her, indeed.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
The factory solution was to put a can of that gooey shit and a 12 VDC "air pump" in where the spare was supposed to go. Would have taken a damned week to pump up a tire with that POS.

It gets worse. Last month an error message “check Mobility Kit” appeared. After paging through the instruction book I discovered that the “gooey” stuff was out of date. Now, I’m thinking I’d buy a “Fix—Flat” and be good. Nope. The gooey stuff is in a canister that attaches Between the pump and the hose that fills the tire. You can fix a flat without it!

The Ford dealer, and the local Ford dealer didn’t stock it. Plus it was $50! Found a replacement on Amazon for $35 and am good for 6 years.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I started reading this thread and was suddenly struck that on page 2 is a post from our late friend Jim Allen. Flashback to some of his dry wit.

Posts: 18049 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Thanks! I went back and re-read it. I miss that guy, too. A pocket copy of the US Constitution Jim sent me is on the table next to my computer.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18