SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A 30 second testament to the worthlessness of the next generation
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A 30 second testament to the worthlessness of the next generation Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted
For god sake, even the girls I dated in high school and college could change a flat tire. Now we have to have services on our insurance policies because our next generation of metro men are utterly helpless. Roll Eyes Mad If he has to, my son can sit on the side of the road and Google it until he figures it out.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
One of my friend's sons just turned 16 and is driving a hand me down from his grandfather. Told his dad that his brakes were making noise, and since I have a truck full of tools, told him I'd swing by and help him change them.

Son had told dad he knew how to change a tire, so dad told him to get the wheels off for us. Didn't know what a four way was. Once he figured out what it was used for, took him another minute to figure out why the largest side wouldn't grip onto his smaller lug nuts. Now that he's done it, I suspect he'll do better the next time. Doubt he could have done it all on his own.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
Liberty Mutual's ads are all snowflake friendly!

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toms:

I agree... and I used to work for them. The ads suck.

However.... this goes a bit too far:
quote:
A 30 second testament to the worthlessness of the next generation

I'm not painting with that broad of a brush.
My youngest daughter not only can change a tire but she changes oil and even transmission fluid.
She's working this summer at an oil refinery.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Meh, its just a ploy to get mommy and daddy to buy extra coverage, Geico is doing it and it's not just kids in their commercials.

Plenty of guys never learn to change a lug nut, many of them just don't care to know that stuff, doesn't have anything to do with generation a vs x.

Most cars today don't even have spare tires, so why learn to change them in the first place.

Someone has to keep tow operators in business..

Posts: 23386 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Perhaps it is the worthlessness of their parents' generation for never taking the time to teach their kids these kind of things. A generation of hippies, freeloaders, dissolved marriages, moral bankruptcy, and now, leaching off the government.

(See how that broad brush paints in many colors?)

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Yep, I also blame the parents.

My 2 boys are 5 & 6. By the time they graduate high school they will know how to rebuild a V8 engine (either Pontiac or Oldsmobile), frame a wall, sweat copper pipes, add a circuit to an electrical panel, weld (stick and MIG), use a cutting torch, and a few more things.

If they continue to piss me off, they will also be experts on digging holes and then fill them back in. Big Grin

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Meh, its just a ploy to get mommy and daddy to buy extra coverage, Geico is doing it and it's not just kids in their commercials.

Plenty of guys never learn to change a lug nut, many of them just don't care to know that stuff, doesn't have anything to do with generation a vs x.

Most cars today don't even have spare tires, so why learn to change them in the first place.

Someone has to keep tow operators in business..

When my oldest was learning how to drive, I told him he couldn't go driving by himself until he learned how to change a tire--all of them. Different tire--different jack placement. The time to learn isn't when it's dark and rainy. He wasn't on the clock, it took him a little while, but the lesson stuck when one of his friends had a flat tire and didn't know how to change it.

My youngest (14) is going to learn soon enough.

Posts: 1721 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
First thing I did after my kids got their license was have them remove/replace a tire.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Perhaps it is the worthlessness of their parents' generation for never taking the time to teach their kids these kind of things. A generation of hippies, freeloaders, dissolved marriages, moral bankruptcy, and now, leaching off the government.

One cannot teach what one will not learn. My eighteen year old nephew needed new brakes on the rear of his Ford. His dad travels a lot, so I offered to walk him through the process in my garage using my tools. The kid got filthy and did all the work himself while I taught/supervised. He learned something of value that day because he was receptive and willing. My son on the other hand is more than willing to let everyone else in the world do for him because he's "too smart for that sort of thing". I've tried every way I know to teach him, but he is not receptive, and can always find a way to worm his way around an issue. So when I paint with a 'broad brush', I'm including my own kid in the painting.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:

One cannot teach what one will not learn. My eighteen year old nephew needed new brakes on the rear of his Ford. His dad travels a lot, so I offered to walk him through the process in my garage using my tools. The kid got filthy and did all the work himself while I taught/supervised. He learned something of value that day because he was receptive and willing. My son on the other hand is more than willing to let everyone else in the world do for him because he's "too smart for that sort of thing". I've tried every way I know to teach him, but he is not receptive, and can always find a way to worm his way around an issue. So when I paint with a 'broad brush', I'm including my own kid in the painting.

So you have one member of a generation who is great, and one who sucks. So you say the generation is worthless.

Makes sense to me. Roll Eyes

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
Yep, I also blame the parents.

My 2 boys are 5 & 6. By the time they graduate high school they will know how to rebuild a V8 engine (either Pontiac or Oldsmobile), frame a wall, sweat copper pipes, add a circuit to an electrical panel, weld (stick and MIG), use a cutting torch, and a few more things.

If they continue to piss me off, they will also be experts on digging holes and then fill them back in. Big Grin

Heh, reminds me of my childhood. We had to dig holes and fill them with fence posts! I don't regret knowing all the other stuff but it won't hurt my feelings if I never see another fence post hole.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Growing up having to work on farm I take for granted so many things. Well before legal driving age you were an expert not only changing a tire but fixing flats. How to use cribbing to jack up equipment etc etc.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I didn't allow my daughter to drive until she proved to me she could change a tire, and I also made her change the oil a time or 2 just so she knew if she was getting her money's worth at Speedi-Lube. Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6209 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Originally posted by toms:

I agree... and I used to work for them. The ads suck.

However.... this goes a bit too far:
quote:
A 30 second testament to the worthlessness of the next generation

I'm not painting with that broad of a brush.
My youngest daughter not only can change a tire but she changes oil and even transmission fluid.
She's working this summer at an oil refinery.

+1

Perhaps when a person witnesses a young person who seems clueless, the thought should be, "A testament to the worthlessness of today's parents."

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10703 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perhaps when a person witnesses a young person who seems clueless, the thought should be, "A testament to the worthlessness of today's parents."

Well,,,.....
I'm not painting with that broad of a brush either.
I'm sure bigdeal is a great father. I can relate to his struggles. I have a son like that too. Too smart for his own good.
Every kid is going to be different in attitude and in ability. They are all individuals.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

So you have one member of a generation who is great, and one who sucks. So you say the generation is worthless.

Makes sense to me. Roll Eyes
Just curious, are you more interesting in picking a fight or debating the issue? For god sake, turn on a TV occasionally and watch the utter cluelessness of an entire generation unfold for you in living color. Are there exceptions to that rule? Sure, we all can name some. But overall, as a whole, my opinion remains that the current millennial generation is worthless.

Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
One cannot teach what one will not learn.
I that has nothing to do with specific generations. That little tidbit of wisdom spans ALL generations.

Honestly, the last time I had to change a tire was back in 1994.

I still replace my own brakes unless I get a good deal somewhere for someone whose back is better than mine can do it.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
There's certainly a measure of truth in your statement. But it doesn't change the reality that we now have before us an entire generation, who in large part, have few if any valuable skills.

posted Hide Post
Yep,this is marketing aimed at moms....but it's still insulting.
I went through tire changing tutorials with my sons, it was helpful, still had to make a late night foray to help once ( Mom was involved ), but it seemed to help. #1 son truly learned how to change a flat when faced with getting a flat on way to DFW Airport for a flight.Wink

On the plus side, #2 son has made good use of google to accomplish tasks that he didn't remember how to do/didn't pay attention to while at home.....

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1526 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post