SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Attorney General Jeff Sessions Ends the Department’s Practice of Regulation by Guidance
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Attorney General Jeff Sessions Ends the Department’s Practice of Regulation by Guidance Login/Join 
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted
JUSTICE NEWS

Department of Justice
Office of Public Affairs
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Friday, November 17, 2017
Attorney General Jeff Sessions Ends the Department’s Practice of Regulation by Guidance

Today, in an action to further uphold the rule of law in the executive branch, Attorney General Jeff Sessions issued a memo prohibiting the Department of Justice from issuing guidance documents that have the effect of adopting new regulatory requirements or amending the law. The memo prevents the Department of Justice from evading required rulemaking processes by using guidance memos to create de facto regulations.

In the past, the Department of Justice and other agencies have blurred the distinction between regulations and guidance documents. Under the Attorney General’s memo, the Department may no longer issue guidance documents that purport to create rights or obligations binding on persons or entities outside the Executive Branch.

The Attorney General’s Regulatory Reform Task Force, led by Associate Attorney General Brand, will conduct a review of existing Department documents and will recommend candidates for repeal or modification in the light of this memo’s principles.

“Guidance documents can be used to explain existing law,” Associate Attorney General Brand said. “But they should not be used to change the law or to impose new standards to determine compliance with the law. The notice-and-comment process that is ordinarily required for rulemaking can be cumbersome and slow, but it has the benefit of availing agencies of more complete information about a proposed rule’s effects than the agency could ascertain on its own. This Department of Justice will not use guidance documents to circumvent the rulemaking process, and we will proactively work to rescind existing guidance documents that go too far.”

Source

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
Big thumbs up!

Even the weak sister of Trump appointments, Mr. Sessions, is doing good works.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Another win.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Now extend that to every other regulatory agency, starting with EPA and their IRIS database.

I've spent my career fighting this guidance-masquerading-as-regulation hydra and it's about fucking time someone at the top ended this practice.

The flip side is it means regulatory agencies will need to hire competent people, but that's going to mean kicking out a metric shit ton of political science majors, lawyers, and gender-fluidity communications arts majors.

Sessions may, MAY, have just redeemed himself with me.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
The next GDC will just start it again.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:

Yea, but a few years of blis can be therapeutic.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
quote:

Yea, but a few years of blis can be therapeutic.

Perhaps. But it feels like unilateral disarmament to me.

The practice should be permanently stopped by both sides through a change in the law. That will not happen if the Left never suffers turn-about.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
The practice should be permanently stopped by both sides through a change in the law.

I sometimes think about what provisions I would include if I were rewriting the Constitution from scratch. I believe this would be a good one to include.

I finally got around to reading The Road to Serfdom by F.A. Hayek and where I am now he addresses this very point at length. He doesn’t call it legislation by regulation, but it describes it clearly and its pernicious effects on the Rule of Law. The book was written 75 years ago, so it’s not as if no one was warning about what would happen as a result of the practice.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Hayek also wrote that "Social Justice" is not justice at all.

Link to Amazon: Mirage of Social Justice

Posts: 18064 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post