SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Car Insurance For My Daughter A Future Bride -- What Coverage?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car Insurance For My Daughter A Future Bride -- What Coverage? Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
My elder 23 year old daughter will be married within a year. She is also relocating out of Virginia to South Carolina. As the proud owner of a 2004 Camry 4-cylinder, with only 170k miles, it would be ideal if she could come up with some affordable insurance. Given that coverages are also somewhat related to ones liability, it seems that costs could be modulated by choosing different limits. But, with medical costs so high, not having high enough coverages would be a bad idea. Any ideas for coverages to specify?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I probably would skip comp and collision based on the value of the car. I would look at the respective state requirements for liability and uninsured motorist. That's assuming the car is free of liens.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
For a 23 year old of modest means, I would recommend:

Bodily injury Liability
$100,000 per person, $300,000 per accident

Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury Coverage
$100,000 per person, $300,000 per accident

Medical Payments, Medical Expense Benefits, or Personal Injury Protection Coverage (the name of this coiverage is different depending on the state its purchased in)
$5,000 (this will cover most health insurance deductible and maximum out-of-pocket requirements.)

I agree, based on the age and mileage of the car, Collision and Comprehensive not needed.

I am an insurance claims adjuster of 23 years.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Find out the difference in premium for the maximum medical benefit. $10K, if possible. Typically it isn't much more. If she needs it for any reason, she will be grateful.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Go through an insurance broker and shop around at a few different levels of insurance. Dave Ramsey's site has a list of preferred providers. I used one locally and Zander.com and doubled my home and auto coverage and have a $1M umbrella policy for the same price I was paying before.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3626 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
See what it costs to add coverage for glass. An insurance guy mentioned this to me and said it is generally pretty inexpensive. It comes in handy when a rock its the windshield.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
My elder 23 year old daughter will be married within a year. She is also relocating out of Virginia to South Carolina. As the proud owner of a 2004 Camry 4-cylinder, with only 170k miles, it would be ideal if she could come up with some affordable insurance. Given that coverages are also somewhat related to ones liability, it seems that costs could be modulated by choosing different limits. But, with medical costs so high, not having high enough coverages would be a bad idea. Any ideas for coverages to specify?

Something to consider is who's name is on the title of the car. If its you, then be sure if you only go with the state minimum level of coverage that you also have an umbrella to protect your assets. If its just her, and if she does not have many assets, the state minimum could suffice.

Posts: 3718 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Recommending state minimums is generally bad advice. Sure you may not have any assets now, but have a bad accident and you're almost guaranteed to never have any assets.

As a previous poster mentioned. 100/300 for bodily injury and 100k for property damage, at a minimum.

Posts: 6345 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I've always gone with 250/500 as it's not much more expensive over 100/300.

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Hey Micro, how much overtime did you have to put in after the hail storm we had 3 weeks ago? Lots of damage here on the peninsula.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1864 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
None. I handle severe injury claims. I don't handle homeowner claims - unless it has to do with a severe injury.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I would look at the comp insurance along with liability. Comp is cheap as hell. At least for me it is. It's also the only coverage I've used in the last 25 years. 5 deer and a tree falling all covered by the comp, it'll cover a windshield too.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5149 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post