SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    remember the" socks only in the house when you are a guest at a party" thread
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

remember the" socks only in the house when you are a guest at a party" thread Login/Join 
posted
The guy went home because they said he could not wear his shoes as a guest in their home.

Well , a friend shed some light on this situation, at a meal the other day.

he was invited to take off his shoes, while visiting a lady to help her with a plumbing problem , that she was having.

he did so and the next day he found out from her neighbor about her and her doggie.

Ada walks her dog 6 times a day , in her yard , to pee and poop,

thats 42 times a week and 180 days a month

so she and her dog are walking in dog urine/fece's at the very least twice a day.

30 times a month her dog is tracking some of it through the home and at least 30 times a month she wears her shoes through the home .

lord only knows how often the pooch goes potty in the home.

the plumber decided to wear disposable booties in peoples home from there on out.

like wise,
who knows where visitors have been with their shoes , when entering your home ?

seems like booties are the answer to both parties questions.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Most all of the contractors we have been dealing with in the last few years have gone the bootie route. It works.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Anyone that uses a public bathroom is walking in others feces and urine, then they'll put their feet up on a chair or leave shoes on a counter top, table, washer dryer.

If you stand at a urinal you probably are peeing on yourself from the rebound after hitting the porcelain, when you drop trough in the public shitter you're getting someone else's excrement on your drawers...

Posts: 23386 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I still remember the first time I was told about the Japanese custom of not wearing shoes indoors, and the general consensus being that it was a rather odd practice, i.e., “Why would they do that?”

In time, though, I realized that for most of Japan’s history the streets were probably pretty nasty places, being muddy very often at best and covered with much worse otherwise. Then I learned that Japanese streets couldn’t have been any worse, and perhaps were even cleaner, than was true of the streets in the most advanced countries in the West. Consider that at one time the most courtesy one could expect while walking down the street before a chamber pot was emptied from an upper window was a shouted, “Garde loo!”

I was reminded of all that last summer when my little town hosted one of its periodic parades that featured horses and burros walking along the streets. That involved only a relatively few animals for a short time, and I could only imagine what the streets were like when all transportation power was provided by horses. And then the dogs. I was in Brussels, Belgium, some 30 years ago and the sidewalks were like a minefield. It was literally necessary to watch one’s every step.

The Japanese tradition makes perfect sense to me now, and I can only wonder why it wasn’t universal at one time. Even today I’m more than happy to remove my shoes when going into the house of someone who requests it.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
Here in Canada the practice is adopted in 100% of the households I’ve been to.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
Spent 4 years in Japan and thought (till now) that you didn't wear street shoes in a Japanese house because of the tatami mats. Street shoes would destroy them. Cleanliness of them would of course be a factor.

Tinyman

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
My solution is simple: I wash my hands and I don't lick the floors anywhere I go. It's working pretty well so far.

quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
If you stand at a urinal you probably are peeing on yourself from the rebound after hitting the porcelain, when you drop trough in the public shitter you're getting someone else's excrement on your drawers...

If that's the case for anyone, you're doing it wrong. Angle your stream to not splash, don't drop your pants to the floor. Don't lick your pants, don't lick your underwear. Problem solved.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
The situation bendable describes, well, yuck. The lady isn’t doing it right.

I don’t understand why this is such an impossible concept. When you are grilling chicken and burgers for a backyard bbq, you don’t cut chicken in the cutting board and immediately throw the burgers on the chicken juice. It’s cross contamination.
It’s no different with shoes. Our outdoor shoes only come in the entryway area of our home. There is a mat that divides the areas. Our outdoor shoes never contaminate the interior. We have indoor slippers and shoes. These never, ever go outdoors. The garage is treated as outdoors.

It’s all about cross contamination. You can’t do that. The whole theory behind no shoes indoor, is to keep the yuck outside. When you bend the rules, it’s a wasted effort.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
Ever look at the bottom of your shoes at the gravel bits that eat a hardwood floor. One of my concerns at least. I always look for a nod it I have a question of indoor shoe wearing.

Winter slop melting from snow packed in aggressive traction soles.

But I have visited friends that say its ok as they don't care.

Posts: 493 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
In my 82 years I have never visited a home where shoes were not being worn. I'm Diabetic and my doctors have advised me to never go barefoot or sock-footed in the house, to prevent a possible puncture wound from some object on the floor.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
My new wife (03/22/2019) from Taiwan seems to be convinced that the surface of Texas is covered with bullshit or similar stuff. So we re-shoe at the entry. I think that this is a good practice. There really are many possibilities for crud to adhere to outdoor shoes.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've gone the indoor vs outdoor shoe route for the last month. We had our relatively new tile cleaned and color sealed and the nice guy that did the work recommended that.

We had noticed our grout and was getting discolored/dirty and getting down on my knees to clean grout is almost impossible for an old wreck like me.

I was wondering how to deal with others who come to our home, like plumbers and others we call on to fix something inside the house. Do any of you keep these booties at the door and hand them to the visitors? Seems better than asking them to walk around in their socks (yuck!).

Also what booties do you buy (if you do) and where do you buy them?

Thanks,

Bob

Posts: 1573 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RGRacing:
Ever look at the bottom of your shoes at the gravel bits that eat a hardwood floor. One of my concerns at least. I always look for a nod it I have a question of indoor shoe wearing.

Winter slop melting from snow packed in aggressive traction soles.

But I have visited friends that say its ok as they don't care.

^^^^^^
Gravel sticking to cleats and tracking in, is why I try to find smooth soled shoes...near impossible anymore.

We had laminate flooring installed some years back. A few walkins with gravel would be noticable.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The world is a pretty disgusting place if you obsess about it. I'd wager that the rates of illness and disease among the very germophobic are not measurably lower than people who are less cautious.

Posts: 5159 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
The world is a pretty disgusting place if you obsess about it. I'd wager that the rates of illness and disease among the very germophobic are not measurably lower than people who are less cautious.

If anything it may be worse due to a weaker immune system.

Posts: 6345 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
amazon has a dozen different types to choose from

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:

If anything it may be worse due to a weaker immune system.

Ryan is correct. The immune system must be exercised to remain strong.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter1:
We've gone the indoor vs outdoor shoe route for the last month. We had our relatively new tile cleaned and color sealed and the nice guy that did the work recommended that.

We had noticed our grout and was getting discolored/dirty and getting down on my knees to clean grout is almost impossible for an old wreck like me.

I was wondering how to deal with others who come to our home, like plumbers and others we call on to fix something inside the house. Do any of you keep these booties at the door and hand them to the visitors? Seems better than asking them to walk around in their socks (yuck!).

Also what booties do you buy (if you do) and where do you buy them?

Thanks,

Bob

Visitors that cannot remove shoes (contractors, delivery guests, etc.,) are asked to wear booties or GTFO. Home Despot has some HDX ones that hold up rather well.

When we sold our home our listing agent gave us this:

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post