SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    so my wife was followed from her work to a public place near by and approached by a CFI
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

so my wife was followed from her work to a public place near by and approached by a CFI Login/Join 
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Until proven otherwise, he's a thug. Notify LE, if it ever happens again. She has zero obligations to engage this thug. Some type of credentials? Anybody can flash you anything that seems legit.
Agree, except I would notify LE now and ask their advice. Good that she notified her employer.

That's no way to contact anyone, especially a lone female. I would suggest that if he ever approaches her again that she refuses to speak with him and immediately call 911.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2057 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:

The funny thing was when I saw the OP, my first thought was, “What the heck was a Certified Flight Instructor (CFI) doing following your wife.
I had the same thought (I too, am a CFI), although the FAA calls us "Certificated Flight Instructors," not "Certified Flight Instructors."

Even after 50-plus years, "certificated" does not roll off the tongue easily. Clumsy word, in my opinion.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
Do NOT let your wife alone with this guy. If she is followed by him again, or he shows up, call the police immediately.

Your wife being followed by some guy is just not cool. Not cool at all.

H&K-Guy

This!!!!

If she has a "smart phone" tell her to take his pix if she sees him again. And then give that pix to the police.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:

The funny thing was when I saw the OP, my first thought was, “What the heck was a Certified Flight Instructor (CFI) doing following your wife.
I had the same thought (I too, am a CFI), although the FAA calls us "Certificated Flight Instructors," not "Certified Flight Instructors."

Even after 50-plus years, "certificated" does not roll off the tongue easily. Clumsy word, in my opinion.

Yes, you’re right. Sloppy phraseology on my part. Shame on me after being certificated as an instructor for 25 years.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:
Do NOT let your wife alone with this guy. If she is followed by him again, or he shows up, call the police immediately.

H&K-Guy

This!!!!

If she has a "smart phone" tell her to take his pix if she sees him again. And then give that pix to the police.

unless taking pix of him pisses him off and makes the immediate matter worse. Some people get pissed when a camera is pointed at them.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:

H&K-Guy

This!!!!

unless taking pix of him pisses him off and makes the immediate matter worse. Some people get pissed when a camera is pointed at them.

Well, if he starts getting aggressive or displaying pre-assault indicators, you could show him one of these instead...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Public place = anyone can walk up and talk to anyone.
What becomes of it is up to the individual.
Forget about it, move on.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The fraud investigators who investigate Medicare or Social Security fraud at the federal level (Office of the Inspector General)all have badges and proper picture identification. They have arrest powers and are usually armed. From what I saw, that's usually true at the state level as well, although I am not certain of that. Sounds to me like this may be a private guy working for an insurance company, not an LEO. If she chooses to cooperate, she could ask to be questioned at a police station. If he claims to be an LEO, verify with the agency.
-----------------------------------------------
If he approaches your wife again I’d have her suggest to meet up at the closest police station if he wants to talk and your wife is willing to cooperate. The local police should have no problem with this, especially if he is doing work in support of some criminal investigation, and if he’s legit he shouldn’t have a problem either. If he has a problem with that, have her tell him to pound sand and call 911 if he continues to follow her.
------------------------------------------------
That's the best advice. Just as an aside, my experience was that generally OIG agents would check in with the local police before they questioned anyone in the jurisdiction, just to let them know they were in the area and what they were up to. The locals sometimes would pass on valuable information to the OIG agents that was useful to the investigation.

Posts: 1042 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe ask for a card so that her lawyer can contact him. You never talk to police, local or federal. Why talk to a hired investigator.

Or ask if they have a warrant. If not tell them to FO.

As several have said, a badge ID and business card can be had for a few bucks.

Para had the best advice.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Sounds like this was a complete fraud/weirdo or at most some version of a rent-a-cop.
I wouldn't say anything to someone like that until they can prove who they are (their legitimacy as real law enforcement) and specify what they want.
I doubt a real law enforcement or investigator would approaching a complete stranger under the circumstances you have described.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you doubt the ID of someone purporting to be a cop or investigator, ask them what their agency ORI Number is.
I damn sure remember mine.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Soooo...any update on this Mr. Rugged Cross? Have inquiries been made at your wife's company? Has the individual contacted your wife and/or her company today? Did y'all contact the local police and if so, what did they say? Inquiring minds want to know...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Nothing yet. Thanks for all the thoughts guys.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Trust her instincts, if he made her spider senses go off, if she got uneasy feelings, then she's probably right, something isn't right.

Regardless of what anyone says our minds sense things and send the body signals when danger is around or somethings off,

Ignoring them is the mistake, maybe he is harmless however I'd err on the illegit purpose, nobody does that stuff except in the movies.

Better to report it to the police and she should report it to work, the guy could just be looking for a woman alone, it may not be her the next time..

The ladies there need to know and they should never walk to a car alone, at least ask someone in the office to watch over them....

If she can't carry a gun get her a keyring mace spray, a good one...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Probably one of these guys. One of our retired Detectives is one with NY State.

Medicaid Fraud Control Units (MFCUs)

Medicaid Fraud Control Units (MFCUs) investigate and prosecute Medicaid provider fraud as well as patient abuse or neglect in health care facilities and board and care facilities. MFCUs operate in 50 States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. The MFCUs, usually a part of the State Attorney General's office, employ teams of investigators, attorneys, and auditors; are constituted as single, identifiable entities; and must be separate and distinct from the State Medicaid agency.

https://www.oig.hhs.gov/fraud/...-control-units-mfcu/

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Probably one of these guys. One of our retired Detectives is one with NY State.

Medicaid Fraud Control Units (MFCUs

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Nah. Those guys are NOT that stupid. Approach people in the street?? The only person who tries that shit is a process server. No way.

The City approach also works. Throwing your arms in the air to catch the attention of others and exclaiming loudly, " I aint got time.", while quickly walking away. Everybody understands that.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Sounds like someone who's looking to get their nuts blown off.

^^^^ Big Grin Agree. But I don't think his definition would be the same as the final definition might turn out to be, lol.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Wondering if the OP’s wife or anyone she works with has heard anything since about any investigation. If it was legit they wouldn’t have just dropped it after the encounter.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
If it was legit they wouldn’t have just dropped it after the encounter.

Nor approached her in the street, he'd have to know who she is, what her job entails doesn't sound Kosher...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
If it was legit they wouldn’t have just dropped it after the encounter.

Nor approached her in the street, he'd have to know who she is, what her job entails doesn't sound Kosher...

Thanks but I was actually hoping for a response from the OP. We’ve all offered our opinions already. What good does restating them do? Good to know I’m not the only one curious though. Smile