SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    so my wife was followed from her work to a public place near by and approached by a CFI
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

so my wife was followed from her work to a public place near by and approached by a CFI Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
criminal fraud investigator. He approached her and quickly showed her some kind of a badge and wanted to talk with her. Obviously she was a bit unsure who he was initially and a bit shaken I would say. She told him to go to her office and schedule a time to speak with her. He said ok and left.
Her place of work did have some kind of a medicad issue over a year ago.

I assume, maybe incorrectly he is a private investigator hired by an insurance company?

Thought it was a bit strange he would approach her in a public place after work by following her. Thoughts?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19156 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Do NOT let your wife alone with this guy. If she is followed by him again, or he shows up, call the police immediately.

Your wife being followed by some guy is just not cool. Not cool at all.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Did she ask for a business card or other contact info?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
What’s a “criminal fraud investigator?” And, yes, that is my thought. FYI, I was a “Fraud Invesitgator” for the State of North Carolina, and had credentials to show. What about this situation?

Edited to add:

Like a1abdj says below, I always left a card if nothing else.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I hear you HK guy. I am pretty pissed off over it. She is pretty savvy but still I have my concerns about this whole situation for sure.

She did contact her employer and advised them.

Alabdj, she got what he said his name was. But no she did not get a card or other info from him.

Craig, he did have some credential type items. She did not get a real good look. I was a bifold type wallet with a pix id with a badge.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19156 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
It wouldn't hurt anything to report it to the cops anyway. "Criminal fraud investigator" sounds awfully dramatic - in fact it sounds like it was intended to be redundant just to be dramatic.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
I’d also call the police and give them a description of the guy and his vehicle. If her place of employment has any type of security I’d make them aware as well so they can keep an eye out for him or his vehicle.

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Craig, he did have some credential type items. She did not get a real good look. I was a bifold type wallet with a pix id with a badge.

Which anyone can get online for a few bucks.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
It wouldn't hurt anything to report it to the cops anyway. "Criminal fraud investigator" sounds awfully dramatic - in fact it sounds like it was intended to be redundant just to be dramatic.
Exactly my thoughts, report it to the cops just in case it happens to be something else. stalking your wife is a bad move, i am sure the cops will advice you on a good approach to handled this.

Posts: 109 | Location: Fort Wayne, IN. | Registered: February 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Alabdj, she got what he said his name was. But no she did not get a card or other info from him.

Anybody who's legitimate would have offered such.

I was an investigator in the repossession industry once upon a time and don't recall a single instance in which the police were called on me because I was snooping around, hopping fences, looking in windows, or anything else that would appear out of the ordinary. This was because anybody who saw me would get one of my cards should they care to verify who I was or what I was doing.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I would think that someone operating in that capacity would offer his business card as he was introducing himself and displaying his "credentials". Spidey sense...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is not legit. Offer to meet him with your wife at the police station. I don't know where you live, but I would not bother calling the cops.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
The funny thing was when I saw the OP, my first thought was, “What the heck was a Certified Flight Instructor (CFI) doing following your wife.

Agree the guy sounds like bad news. If he calls back, maybe your wife could tell him to meet her at the local PD or don’t bother her.

ETA: Not sure how I missed ZSMICHAEL’s post, but “What he said.”

Posts: 6913 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
He's theoretically an investigator, meaning he theoretically wants your wife to provide him with helpful information about something he's theoretically investigating. If he let her walk away without giving her some way to reach him (cough business card cough) he either a) has ZERO talent for this "investigation" thing or b) isn't legit.

Aound 70% of federal LEOs work in one of seven agencies. I work in one of the others, so I've gotten pretty good at explaining in few words who I am and what I do. It doesn't bother me when people want to double-check my ID or, more rarely, call my office (better yet, call our HQ... make those slugs do some actual work) to confirm. Happens occasionally and if it makes them more comfortable talking with me, that's a good thing

"Criminal Fraud Investigator"--without an agency and explanation-- sounds an awful lot like "I'm a PI that knows exactly where the line of Impersonating Police is, and calling myself something that sounds vaguely official-ish is MILLIMETERS on this side of that line."

Posts: 2456 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Sounds like someone who's looking to get their nuts blown off.

Posts: 107481 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
next time he approaches her in a public place she should ask him if he minds if she snaps a quick pic of him

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Until proven otherwise, he's a thug. Notify LE, if it ever happens again. She has zero obligations to engage this thug. Some type of credentials? Anybody can flash you anything that seems legit.

Q

Posts: 26332 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Does she carry? If it happens again, 911 call with a willingness to draw without hesitation. There is no reason to contact her in such a way for a legitimate investigation. It’s why we have phones and email. Her place of work would have provided the “investigator” with the means to contact her if it was an official action.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15554 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
"Criminal Fraud Investigator"--without an agency and explanation-- sounds an awful lot like "I'm a PI that knows exactly where the line of Impersonating Police is, and calling myself something that sounds vaguely official-ish is MILLIMETERS on this side of that line."

This is my take as well, based upon my experience. I’d say he’s a PI of some sort. He may in fact be well intentioned but his delivery clearly sucks. If he approaches your wife again I’d have her suggest to meet up at the closest police station if he wants to talk and your wife is willing to cooperate. The local police should have no problem with this, especially if he is doing work in support of some criminal investigation, and if he’s legit he shouldn’t have a problem either. If he has a problem with that, have her tell him to pound sand and call 911 if he continues to follow her.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One good way to verify a credential is to get the name and agency, get a phone number from the information operator, and call to verify. I've had perhaps 200 calls or contacts similar to your wife's, and only one confirmed as legit. Most were debt collectors pursuing my employees or former employees.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post