SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you had unlimited funds, what would a few of your eccentricities be?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you had unlimited funds, what would a few of your eccentricities be? Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I would buy a P-51 Mustang and learn to fly it. I'd have to have a lot of life insurance, too, so my wife wouldn't worry so much.

If you already had unlimited funds, why have life insurance?

You don't want to be worth more dead than alive!

For a real life example of eccentricities of someone with basically unlimited funds, Warren Buffett says the thing he likes best about being really, really rich is he doesn't have to work with anyone he doesn't like.

I guess his eccentricity is he still lives in the same house he bought in 1956.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JALLEN,

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Tom Cruise, goofy Scientologist / actor, has a P51 he flys:

quote:
This Mustang has a serial number of 44-12840 and was built in 1946. It was donated to the Civil Air Patrol unit and eventually ended up in a museum in Illinois. It was later completely restored by 1997 by Art Teeters and four years later was bought by Tom Cruise in 2001

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
My moat (think Mississippi River proportions) would be patrolled by IDF girls on tandem SeaDoos and in vintage Chriscrafts outfitted with frickin' laser miniguns by Dillon... Yep.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I guess at my age it'd be a hawt french maid with masseuse qualifications to handle "home needs", and a talented soux or head chef with both sommelier experience and unrestricted budget for my kitchen.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I would get rid of my cell phone. My people would have phones, but I wouldn't. I also wouldn't have keys, they would.

I would never pay another bill myself.

I would drive my asshole business competitors out of business.

I would tip massively for great service.

I would donate enormous amounts to worthy conservative charities, veterans charities, and children's hospitals like St. Jude's.

I would spread the gospel according to Freedman, Sowell, Hyak, etc. by establishing scholarships, fellowships, grants, etc in their names in defense of the free market and capitalism at every university in the country.

I would buy a big ass sailboat and sail it down to the Windwards.

I would become a member of Augusta National.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
You guys just remember, it's more expensive being rich than it looks.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would never wear a pair of socks more than once. Nothing beats new socks fresh out of the package.

Posts: 548 | Location: washington state. | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would buy a ton of land and re-create racetracks that aren't in the US. How cool would it be to have Spa, Mount Panorama, and the Ring all in one place. I'd also have a stable of Ariel Atoms to play with; enough to make them pretty much disposable. Of course, I'd also have to actually learn how to drive a race car, since I have no freaking clue how to.

The other thing I'd do is host free concerts on the lake. I'd throw enough money at my favorite bands that they'd have to come play and have a big floating barge/stage setup for them.

Posts: 727 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I would pay the car insurance premiums for all of the teenage kids of Sigforum members...

Posts: 297 | Location: Ogden, UT | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
I'd buy Montana. And kick everyone out.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
I'd buy Montana. And kick everyone out.

Sweet. I will have done the same in Colorado...

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by geektoad:
I would never wear a pair of socks more than once. Nothing better than a new pair of socks. Smile

You and Jerry Lewis. Although his habits may have something to do with the tax write-off, donating once-worn clothing.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
seems that there is a nation wide back log of rape kits in evidence rooms, that are not being tested , because of financial circumstances.

might be sweet to see sixty or eighty cases get solved , but pronto.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One day at a time
Picture of RANGER20
posted Hide Post
I'd buy a nice big sailboat head out the Golden Gate into the Pacific and never look back.

I'd donate an annual amount to help our veterans, Stanford Children's hospital and St.judes childrens hospital.
https://www.stjude.org/

Oh and I'd hire a few capable people to clean up some of the political trash that infects our nation Wink

Posts: 5499 | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post