SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    your favorite summertime comfort food.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

your favorite summertime comfort food. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
watermelon lovers handy helpful hint.

find one of these

and then invert it .

cut up the whole melon on a sunday and you are good to go for five days straight

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Could you elaborate on the grilled okra?

Another okra lover here. My take on grilling is thus;

Take two skewers and impale the okra, like a ladder. This allows you to turn it easily and it doesn't fall thru the grate. A little oil, salt , and a grind of pepper. Grill just to tender with a little char. Good eating.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Corn on a cob, hands down. Followed by good potato salad. And can't forget popsicles and ice cream.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tuckerrnr1:
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
Corn on the cob!!! Also okra on the grill.

Could you elaborate on the grilled okra? My wife has them growing in the garden and this sounds like a nice alternative to pickling or deep frying.

Sure. Just take your okra pods(whole) and wash and dry them. I then use olive oil to wipe the outside so that it will hold your seasoning.....I sprinkle mine with Cajun seasoning(a southern thing). Get your grill up to temp 350-400F or so. Lay the okra onto the grill and cook until it caramelizes on one side(3-4 minutes), flip and do the same on the other. Remove and enjoy!! If you overcook, it can/will get tough.

I grow it in my back yard in a very large pot. I grew up eating it fried with corn meal in bacon grease, but don't fry things anymore. This works well for me.

Posts: 6617 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post