SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    President Trump Will Permit Citizens to Buy Military Surplus 1911 Pistols
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

President Trump Will Permit Citizens to Buy Military Surplus 1911 Pistols Login/Join 
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:
Civilian Marksmanship Program

11/22/17 - Latest update on the 1911’s…..
Because of the limited number and the exceedingly high demand for the pistol, and the great level of Congressional scrutiny, the Board of Directors will make a decision regarding how sales will be handled. We have no further information at this time. – Mrs. Judith Legerski, Chairman, CMP Board of Directors

10/11/17 An update on the 1911’s…
We are waiting patiently and quietly to see how the NDAA 2018 turns out. All prescribed steps have been taken by CMP to fulfill the mandated requirements for receipt of the 1911s from the United States Army. CMP is in a constant state of readiness. The CMP has no further information at this time.

Thank you,
Mark Johnson
Chief Operating Officer

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
The ones I used from 1966-70 in the Marines were held together only by the fantastic efforts of our Marine armors. They were probably the same ones that my Dad used when he was in the Marines in WW II. They were pretty sloppy & accuracy was mostly minute-of-man at 25 yds, but the damn things were dependable.

Getting them released to the CMP is a good thing, but I think I'll just stick with my two Wilsons & my Springfields.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I'd love to have one of these as a statement of history, and not necessarily a shooter.

Of course, in that case, they should be priced as disposed crap, and not as anything useful.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10924 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scot818:
I thought they were already selling them.

A similar authorization was signed by Obama back in November 2015. But the Army never got around to transferring any to the CMP before the authorization expired last year.

I suspect that's why the language of this year's bill reads that the Army shall transfer "not less than 8,000" surplus M1911s in 2018. As in, they have to provide them at least 8,000.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmoid:
I think this may be just the beginning, should start to see Beretta's and maybe newer rifles as well?

Perhaps Berettas, someday.

But what newer rifles does the military have that aren't full auto? Maybe a handful of high-end sniper rifles?

I don't see them getting any newer military rifles.

And to get any Berettas, it would require another special authorization like this. Normally, the CMP is only authorized to receive surplus .22 and .30 caliber rifles from the military.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Will these firearms be complete and fireable?

Will the government sell them directly to consumers or only to distributors?
I remember the ads in the back of Popular Mechanics: Army Jeep in a Crate

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

But what newer rifles does the military have that aren't full auto?

Dumb question, but I don't know the answer......

In my state, one can own and even shoot full auto. One just has to go through one heck of a lot of paperwork and expense. For some reason, the guys who own them seem to own older full auto guns, and you don't see a lot of modern rifles which are full auto -- not sure why.

But, in states like mine, what would prevent CMP from transferring full auto rifles?????

Thanks.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10924 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

In my state, one can own and even shoot full auto. One just has to go through one heck of a lot of paperwork and expense. For some reason, the guys who own them seem to own older full auto guns, and you don't see a lot of modern rifles which are full auto -- not sure why.

But, in states like mine, what would prevent CMP from transferring full auto rifles?????

Thanks.

None of the military's machine guns are on the NFA registry. And no machine guns can be added to the NFA registry any longer, as of 1986. (Which is why you're seeing mainly old machine guns.)

Therefore, none of the military's machine guns are legally transferable to civilians.

Getting access to the military's machine guns would be a nigh-impossible hurdle, requiring Congress to authorize both the sale of full auto military rifles, as well as authorizing something like another machine gun amnesty or some other sort of special exception to the NFA/FOPA.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
I'll give them $3/ea.

You must have handled the same ones I did back in the 80's/early 90's! Big Grin

You could shake them and hear all the parts rattling around inside. Might be cool to have one for nostalgia's sake.

I was in the army in the mid to late '50s. And yes, you could shake them and hear the parts rattle. Mostly the barrels. Accuracy was truly "hit or miss" (pun intended Big Grin.

Now if they would release the M14!!!!!!!!!!!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Gonna be WAY overpriced for condition. Nice ones will go to auction.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig M11
posted Hide Post
Well...maybe if I could pick-up one of these for $500...

Posts: 1406 | Location: Wilmington, Delaware | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Has anyone here looked at the current market for mixmaster USGI 1911's? It is not low. A rack/field grade at $800-1000 will be cheap. People wanting $200 pistols need to keep dreaming.

I have a very nice, all original 1944 Remington Rand I picked up about 12 years ago for $1100 with matching period correct holster and web belt. You don't see that anymore. The market has done nothing but go UP.

At a grand or so I'm in for the pure historical issue of it. I bet anything really good will go to the CMP auction. Wait until you see what those end up at!

I own a dozen or so really nice 1911's. I wouldn't be buying one of these to carry around and keep in the nightstand for home defense.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I carried the 1911 in 1988, they got replaced in 1900 with the M9.

I loved our old 1911's, we had a mis-mash of manuf's and age...the CG was so used to getting hand-me-downs from the Navy that we just kept putting parts into them and made them work.

I'd love to buy one from CMP, but if they are gonna be priced at 1K then the answer is NOPE. For a few dollars more I can get a top of the line 1911.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

Thanks.

None of the military's machine guns are on the NFA registry. And no machine guns can be added to the NFA registry any longer, as of 1986. (Which is why you're seeing mainly old machine guns.)

Therefore, none of the military's machine guns are legally transferable to civilians.

Getting access to the military's machine guns would be a nigh-impossible hurdle, requiring Congress to authorize both the sale of full auto military rifles, as well as authorizing something like another machine gun amnesty or some other sort of special exception to the NFA/FOPA.
Repeal of NFA 1934 would work....

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:
Will these firearms be complete and fireable?

Yes.
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:
Will the government sell them directly to consumers or only to distributors?

The government will only sell them to and through the CMP.

Any one of these that shows up in an LGS will have come via individuals selling theirs after they've gotten one from the CMP. No Distributor like Lipseys will be selling them.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post