SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    President Trump Will Permit Citizens to Buy Military Surplus 1911 Pistols
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

President Trump Will Permit Citizens to Buy Military Surplus 1911 Pistols Login/Join 
Member!
posted
Awesome if true!

http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...urplus-1911-pistols/

President Trump is set to sign the 2018 National Defense Authorization Act, which contains an amendment that allows U.S. citizens to acquire military surplus 1911 pistols.

The sales will occur under the auspices of the Civilian Marksmanship Program, which has been selling approved military surplus weapons to citizens for more than 100 years.

According to the International Business Times, it currently costs the U.S. military approximately $2 a day to store one pistol, and there are an estimated 100,000 1911s that are being stored. So that is a $200,000 expenditure the military can erase and replace with a profit, or at least of a recoup of costs, by selling the firearms.

The 1911 is one of the most popular handguns ever developed. It is valued for military use, home defense, self-defense, and concealed carry. Although the military’s 1911s were made by Colt, citizens have long been purchasing civilian models from Colt as well. These range from the basic government model to 1911s with finely tuned triggers and target barrels that allow for incredible accuracy in competitive shooting.

Kimber, Sig Sauer, Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Rock Island, Springfield Armory, and others produce numerous 1911 variants for the civilian market each year as well. But through the Civilian Marksmanship Program, Americans will not only acquire a 1911, but a piece of U.S. military history, an exciting opportunity.

AWR Hawkins is the Second Amendment columnist for Breitbart News and host of Bullets with AWR Hawkins, a Breitbart News podcast. He is also the political analyst for Armed American Radio. Follow him on Twitter: @AWRHawkins. Reach him directly at awrhawkins@breitbart.com.

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me like it.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just don't understand the military and it's expenses. How on earth does it cost $2 per day to store a pistol. I think this is great. I wonder what it will do to the price of the existing WWII and WWI pistols already out there in collectors hands

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I just don't understand...

Where I come from, we call this a clue.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Ok, just read the CMP announcement and it costs $2 pistol/year, not per day OP. Still, greatly appreciate the heads-up. Somehow our President continues to find simple ways to MAGA!

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I'll give them $3/ea.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
Ok, just read the CMP announcement and it costs $2 pistol/year, not per day OP. Still, greatly appreciate the heads-up. Somehow our President continues to find simple ways to MAGA!

Now THIS is believable, $2 per year, not per day!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
I thought they were already selling them. I remember reading somewhere the average price for them was about $2,000. Way out of my price range.

Posts: 1442 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
I'll give them $3/ea.

You must have handled the same ones I did back in the 80's/early 90's! Big Grin

You could shake them and hear all the parts rattling around inside. Might be cool to have one for nostalgia's sake.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I just don't understand the military and it's expenses. How on earth does it cost $2 per day to store a pistol. I think this is great. I wonder what it will do to the price of the existing WWII and WWI pistols already out there in collectors hands

You've heard of the $600 hammer? It's an accounting thing. The hammer was part of an aircraft which cost several million.

"One problem: "There never was a $600 hammer," said Steven Kelman, public policy professor at Harvard University's John F. Kennedy School of Government and a former administrator of the Office of Federal Procurement Policy. It was, he said, "an accounting artifact."

The military bought the hammer, Kelman explained, bundled into one bulk purchase of many different spare parts. But when the contractors allocated their engineering expenses among the individual spare parts on the list-a bookkeeping exercise that had no effect on the price the Pentagon paid overall-they simply treated every item the same. So the hammer, originally $15, picked up the same amount of research and development overhead-$420-as each of the highly technical components, recalled retired procurement official LeRoy Haugh. (Later news stories inflated the $435 figure to $600.)

"The hammer got as much overhead as an engine," Kelman continued, despite the fact that the hammer cost much less than $420 to develop, and the engine cost much more-"but nobody ever said, 'What a great deal the government got on the engine!' "

I'll bet this is the same thing. Building upkeep, repair, security, employees, etc. etc. are bundled in with the 1911.

In a logistic course we were give a plastic bag wit screw, spring, and bit of metal. It had its own NSN number. The instructor pointed out that the spring often was the only item that was being used. The rest was thrown away. We agreed that it was waste. Then we were tasked to bring the spring into the inventory. After getting an NSN, contracting, getting it on the shelf and maintaing itin the system...it was cheaper to keep using the spring and tossing the rest.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scot818:
I thought they were already selling them. I remember reading somewhere the average price for them was about $2,000. Way out of my price range.

What? How?? $2000

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Some quick research indicates the price is $1K for base condition pistols and those of best condition could demand a few hundred more $.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
That's right (prices).

I wish they were half that, say $500 for the worst grade.

quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
I'll give them $3/ea.

You must have handled the same ones I did back in the 80's/early 90's! Big Grin

You could shake them and hear all the parts rattling around inside. Might be cool to have one for nostalgia's sake.

You know it.

It's what I trained on in Basic (summer of 1990) and issued for the first months in my unit before we got new M9s. They were loose, for sure, some rattletraps in there. Mine worked fine, mind you, and I qualified on those multiple-pop-up-silhouette ranges and such, but they were all pretty beat up. I'd love to hand pick one out of a bunch, but buying one sight unseen, especially for anything other than a great deal, is a big crap shoot.

I'd pay a few hundred for just about any of them, as a nostalgic paperweight at the worst, but I fear finding one that's even EDC worthy would be a long shot. Maybe not, but...

As I recall, the prices will NOT be cheap, even for the worst ones.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:

You've heard of the $600 hammer? It's an accounting thing. ...

Yep.

The hammer was a prototype non-ferrous, non-sparking requirement for aircraft fuel cell maintenance, and the toilet seat that was around $900, was replacement tire the Navy P-3 Orion onboard head as the sores were exhausted.

Military procurment brings a lot of overhead to theprocess that people don't think to take into account.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
If they are anything like the ones I had occasion to fire in the mid to late 70's, no thanks.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
quote:
Originally posted by scot818:

What? How?? $2000

$200, maybe, if I could look at it before I plunked down my cash. Otherwise, I'll pass.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I understand that $2 a day figure. It's some BS math someone schemed up around costs surrounding those pistols. In other words, remove the pistols, and the new statement should/would read: It costs $2 per day to store the empty shelves. Because you can bet your life nothing else will change. Same buildings, heat/cooling, staffing etc.

I'd bet it will cost 3x the amount they raise in selling them just to handle the sale transaction. Mind you, I do believe they should be liquidated. Along with any other unused WWII equipment.

Posts: 11386 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
Some quick research indicates the price is $1K for base condition pistols and those of best condition could demand a few hundred more $.

These were the ones No One Wanted because they were going to be $1000+ over priced pigs.

We had a lot of great excess gear in the Navy- But we couldn't give it away it had to be properly processed. The processing cost a lot more than any of the gear was worth so we just threw it overboard while out at sea.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13400 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
$1K

Some expensive maracas.

But think of all the fun of using them as drumsticks while driving around listening to Free Bird . Locked and loaded.

Unforgettable, priceless memories that might be shared with grandchildren.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
I think this may be just the beginning, should start to see Beretta's and maybe newer rifles as well?

Love this kick in the balls to Bloomberg and his anti-lobbying ilk that have spent in excess of $71 million in their lies the last 3 election cycles.
Despite all the efforts by the progressive demons, Trump continues to persevere when others would have long ago thrown in the towel.
Gotta give him that and well, maybe another 4 years !!!!

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:

You've heard of the $600 hammer? It's an accounting thing. ...

Yep.
Military procurment brings a lot of overhead to theprocess that people don't think to take into account.

The Govt. agency I work for has a "green" dept. in charge of all recyclables. Perhaps theses too can be processed using this "renewal" bullshit mindset (scrap metal) and really shove this up their poopers ?
Well, a man can dream right?

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1308 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post