SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Selling on Sig Forum?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Selling on Sig Forum? Login/Join 
posted
Hello,
I will be a first time seller on SF. What are the states I need to be aware of their gun laws? Thank you for your help.

Posts: 151 | Location: Asheville,NC | Registered: April 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’d consider just putting a line in the ad stating that your items are not available to residents of areas where they’re illegal.

Unless an in-state transfer, firearms must be transferred by an FFL on the buyer’s end, and it’s the receiving FFL’s responsibility to make sure the law is complied with before transferring the weapon to the buyer.

State and local laws change frequently and are sufficiently arcane as to make it very difficult for a seller to keep up to date on all of them.

Edited to fix syntax

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arfmel,

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Armel!

Posts: 151 | Location: Asheville,NC | Registered: April 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Always ship to an FFL, if you can’t do a face to face transaction (yes, even in-state; I know there are exceptions, but it’s safer this way).

Let the receiving FFL deal with any legalities, purchase permits (NC), firearms owner ID card (IL), registry (CA, MA) and whatever else politicians can dream up.

Posts: 2324 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
If selling to a buyer in another state, the buyer must send you a copy of the FFL license for the FFL holder who will receive the shipment.

Once you have this information, you can always contact the FFL to make sure that everything is good, before you ship.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
CA is a big one. Their handgun roster prevents a huge chunk of pistols that can be sold across state lines to non LEO people. Same with certain semi-auto rifles and same with ammo.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
Careful of Massachusetts as well.

It’s moving target.

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
If selling to a buyer in another state, the buyer must send you a copy of the FFL license for the FFL holder who will receive the shipment.

Once you have this information, you can always contact the FFL to make sure that everything is good, before you ship.

To add to this, once you receive the buyer's FFL license info, you can verify online to be sure:

https://fflezcheck.atf.gov/fflezcheck/

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
CA is a big one. Their handgun roster prevents a huge chunk of pistols that can be sold across state lines to non LEO people. Same with certain semi-auto rifles and same with ammo.

Another PITA thing about CA is that out of state FFLs have to register with the CA DOJ prior to shipping into the state. Not surprisingly, a lot of FFLs respond with something along the lines of “FTS!” and refuse to deal with CA. Can’t say I blame them.

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
It is the buyers responsibility to not break the laws in their state.

While it is a good idea to be aware of the laws in a buyers state, this is why you ship to an FFL in a given state.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
You will want to check with the FFL if they will accept the transfer of a gun from a non FFL. Not all FFL's will accept from private parties.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

My local FFL has told me he doesn't actually need a copy of the receiving FFL's license, as long as he can determine (via an FFL directory) that the receiver is actually an FFL. But having the receiver's license is always the best way to go.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
OK, so you started a thread in the Office, asking for my permission to post in Classifieds. Then, you started this thread, which asks about rules. Then, you actually posted your ad.

And now, you have this thread- which is outside of Classifieds- telling everyone that you have an ad, which makes this thread a de facto ad- outside of Classifieds, which is not allowed.

I want you to stop and think for a second what this forum would be like if every member who wanted to post an ad in Classifieds did this.

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Do not sell any firearms in NY.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:
Do not sell any firearms in NY.

or CA

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post