SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How long do microwave ovens last?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How long do microwave ovens last? Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
My parents bought a microwave back in the mid 70's (IIRC). It weighed a ton and occupied 20% of my mom's counter space (avocado green). You know what? It still works. They used it regularly through the 90's. When they moved into a new house, it came with a new microwave among other appliances, so they put the relic in storage in the basement. It does still work though......unevenly heated food just like back in the day. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Like all things, it depends on when you bought it. Big Grin

The one in my kitchen that I use evert day is a Sharp carousel. I remember when we bought it at MACY's... in 1982.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ours was already in the house when we bought it in 1992. It was well used then so I can't know for sure how old it is. We have been using it for 27 years so if I had to guess, I would say it is around 35 years old. GE. The only issue it has is the led timer lights have gone dim enough that you can't see them with the kitchen light on. Turn the light off and they are very readable.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys do realize that even though newish microwaves don't last longer than 10 years +/-.

They DO cook food a hell of a lot better and faster than these relics you guys are still using and only cost $200 +/-

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
We have a Sharp that is 14 years old. When it dies I will have no complaints. I bet that thing gets used 20 or 30 times a day.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
our Panasonic we got as a wedding gift 10 years ago.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of VonFatman
posted Hide Post
we have not had one last over a year for many years.

Posts: 376 | Registered: September 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
For anyone wondering... I just ordered the Whirlpool.

Whirlpool UMC5225GZ
2.2 Cu. Ft. Stainless Steel Countertop Microwave
Quick Specs: View All
Width: 24"
Height: 12.56"
Depth: 19.63"

https://www.goedekers.com/Whirlpool-UMC5225GZ.html

Why the Whirlpool?
Well, the Amana is the same size, and would fit my built-in, but it was on back order. So I went with Whirlpool.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
We also owned a Sears Kenmore that lasted approximately 30 years.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1930 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
I have a Kenmore countertop microwave that is over 12 years old and running strong.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I don't remember when I bought my microwave, but it was probably soon after I moved into my townhouse. I've been here 35 years.

Wouldn't the life be at least somewhat dependent on how much use it gets?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't remember when I bought my microwave, but it was probably soon after I moved into my townhouse. I've been here 35 years.

There's a cult following for the original Radarange models. They lasted forever.

Late 1970's, early 80's. Heavy duty, lots of chrome:

https://www.radarange.com/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wouldn't the life be at least somewhat dependent on how much use it gets?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Probably more likely WHO has used it. The one in the work breakroom probably has a short life.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
They seem to last a long time. Whirlpool (with a scan wand that I never use). However, after 25+ years the door switch died. Disassemble to diagnose and a couple days for the $3 part to arrive. Figured the switch that doesn't click is the bad one. I only replaced the one so I'm guaranteed to have to do it all over again for another soon. Roll Eyes

Posts: 3507 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 2006 GE profile just croaked so thats 18 years.

I bought a new GE unit (from china) and it sucks.

Posts: 344 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
The one in my kitchen that I use evert day is a Sharp carousel. I remember when we bought it at MACY's... in 1982.

I stopped using this one this past spring. I didn't throw it away, I stuck it in the basement. I ended up with a much larger new one, which sat in the way, on my living room floor for a while. When it dies in a few years, I bring the old Sharp back up.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
We bought a Kenmore countertop microwave in 1983 and are still using it daily.
An under cabinet model we bought around 2008 lasted only ten years.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnO:
I bought a new GE unit (from china) and it sucks.

Yep. The LCD display on my 3 year old GE microwave is already starting to go out.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
We had one last over 30 years? GE, I think. Non-digital…

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I had a Panasonic going on 30 years before it finally quit working.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2086 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post