SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How long do microwave ovens last?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How long do microwave ovens last? Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted
How long do microwave ovens last?

Amana Radarange manufactured March 2003

It worked great until yesterday. I took something out and closed the door. It went back on. Pressing the stop/clear button doesn't turn it off. The only thing that will turn it off is opening the door. I unplugged it, and let it sit for awhile. Plugged it back in. Same thing.

When you close the door it runs... but it's not heating. I put something in to defrost and it's having no effect. So I guess it shot craps.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Can only share personal experience.

Our home was built ~1982 and we still have/use the original microwave.

Posts: 3718 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Our GE microwave is over 30 years old. Still works like a champ. We just have to increase the warming time a little because it's not 1100 watts.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
I’ve had several. One actually broke down and had to be replaced. The others continued to work as I gave them to my son and daughter to take with them to school. They still have them. Also, my church has three which are decades old, and have seen a lot of hard, constant use (bake sales, thawing fish and meat for fish frys and luncheons/dinners). All still going strong. I don’t think they have a definite service life.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We bought a Sharp Carousel II in January, 1986 which is still going strong. We've had great luck with Sharp products.

Posts: 78 | Location: South Florida | Registered: April 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Mine is probably 13 years old. I did have to remove the front panel and replace a ceramic looking fuse at one point when the thing died.

It's been fine since. The unit is an under-cabinet LG.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Used to manage all types of vacation condos and homes. Microwaves do die without warning, seen my share of it. It’s not a bad run for a 2003 model to last this long. Sounds like it’s time for a new one, repairs are more expensive than replacing the unit.

Posts: 266 | Registered: June 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Older ones, a long time. New ones, many just a few years.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
They last right up to the point they stop working.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31427 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
We had one new circa 1987ish that blew out in its 27th year.

It was in 'full heat' mode and made a tremendously vigorous pop/snap/buzzy-grumble sound and then was dead.

It was the big Sears unit with fake wood grained vinyl and horrible chrome appointments that looked like a cheap Oldsmobile of that same era.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Older ones, a long time. New ones, many just a few years a few days after the warranty expires.
FIFY

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Older ones, a long time. New ones, many just a few years.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!! You got your moneys worth out of a 2003 and I wouldn't even consider fixing it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Our house was built in 2002, had to replace our under cabinet built-in unit at 14 yrs old. One day it did a snap crackle and pop while running. A plastic shield inside was disfigured from heat, I figured the microwave generator went out in a blaze of glory. I didn't even care to have that fixed.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
We had a Sharp that lasted over 15 years. After that we bought an LG that lasted about 3 years before it died and I had to fix it twice during that time including door switch. Now we have a Panasonic and will see how that goes. People want cheap stuff and they got it with consumer microwaves but IMO they won't last near as long as models from past decades. The internal parts are super cheaply made for the most part as I found getting replacement parts for the LG.

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I have a Panasonic counter top microwave oven that is 25 years old, works just fine.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
It’s not a bad run for a 2003 model to last this long. Sounds like it’s time for a new one, repairs are more expensive than replacing the unit.

I think that's right...

So the next question is: What make/model should I get next?
Is Amana still a good brand?

My limitation is space. It's a smaller unit, above a double oven.
Height is the primary issue. Current one is 12.5-13" tall.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
20 years give or take, has been my experience.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5149 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Don't they get progressively weaker as they age, comparable to old tube type tv's that functioned and looked ok yet they weren't nearly as brilliant as they were when they were new?

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 1999 Sharp still runs

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
I would venture to say that older units were quality made, however many of today's products have built in obsolesce. Hence the push by the retailers to sell you a 'contract'.

Posts: 3850 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post