SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How long do microwave ovens last?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How long do microwave ovens last? Login/Join 
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I have a Panasonic that's about 20 years old and used daily.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An over range micro-hood is a lot more likely to fail than a counter top one. The micro-hood that came with the house failed at about 12-ish years from new. I replaced it with just a regular range hood and got a countertop model.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My countertop Sharps last forever. I replaced an 8 year old one 2 years ago.
I wont buy anything but Sharp.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Just replaced the Panasonic purchased in 1989.....we got another Panasonic as they earned our repeat business.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy a new one. The older ones were better made. My panasonic failed during the one year Warranty period. It was finally repaired at their expense. It took hours of my time, since the unit had to be shipped out of state and they refused initially to pay for the 80 dollar shipping. An email to the corporate office got me a refund of the shipping, and it now works. It would have been much easier to use the unit for target practice and purchase a new one.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Wow, You guys are right on top of your microwave situations. We have two microwaves. They are several years old and they both still work. That is the extent of my knowledge about our microwaves. How old, which is newer, what brand they are? No clue. Guess I hang around on SIGforum too much to keep up my microwave log bookWink

NRA Life

Posts: 1563 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
One of my sons is still using a big old circa 1982 Kenmore microwave that I "retired" a couple years ago for one easier for this retiree to keep clean (small Oster model).

They don't make 'em like the used to. Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Ask and ye shall receive:

Top rated counter top models:

Now top rated Over-the-range models:

Posts: 3718 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Please don't make me think about getting a new microwave Wink. My Westinghouse-scanning wand variety is around 20 years old and I just recently had to replace the mica waveguide cover-man, when they arc they arc.

Ha, I remember replacing the magnetron in a used one in the early 90s.

Posts: 3507 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I've used a $59 GE countertop one daily since circa 2006 and it works fine. Given the cost of an Amana Radarange, it might be worth a look by an appliance tech. It might just be some kind of switch or power supply problem. If it's the magnetron (or whatever they call it), then you might as well scrap it.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
The ones at work I swear were made in the 80s, at least they look like it.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Sharp counter top Microwave 1000W that lasted 10 years during which time I had to replace the turn table gear - $30 M.O. from Sharp.

Finally the key pad went Kaput and I was told by Sharp, no parts available.

Bought a new Sharp microwave. IMO, junk when compared to the old one.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
How long do microwave ovens last?

I don't know, but if you stick a fork in it, it's done.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BDA220
posted Hide Post
Sharp from 1994, just had to replace the large capacitor for the magnetron, $15 part.

"Strange days have found us, strange days have tracked us down." JM

Posts: 807 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Christmas, 1976 we all pitched in to get Momma a microwave. A Litton. It's still going, had only one minor part replaced perhaps 15 years ago.

Posts: 3212 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Our 1982 Kenmore microwave is still working.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
Bookmarking for future reference as the door open button on our 3 year old Frigidaire recently broke. Getting by with using a pencil to press the door open mechanism but it’s getting old.

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
They usually break as soon as you run out of funds.

Posts: 5587 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
My brother has one in his office that I believe he bought in the very early 80's. Maybe even before then...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About 4-5 years in our house. Oh, the microwave usually still works, but my wife, who is vertically challenged, seems to pull both out and down to open the microwave. After 4-5 years I reach a break-even decision between putting another handle on the microwave, or just getting a new one.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post