SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Info on dash cams
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Info on dash cams Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted
Well, it seems I need a dash cam.

Something in the 90-120 dollar range, reliable, and easy to use/install.

Thinking about rear cam, but can't see the need. If somebody tail gates me, it will be his/her fault.

Thanks for suggestions

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
These guys make awesome ones and they are very easy to use.

http://us.papagoinc.com/

This is the one I use in the Ridgeline. It mounts to the rear view mirror so you don't have to deal with car mounts.
http://us.papagoinc.com/produc...afe-260-dash-camera/

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
From the reading I've done, you want to make sure whatever it is can tolerate heat. Since it can get much hotter in your car than you'd comfortably tolerate, the camera has to be able to endure that heat, unless you plan on taking it out every time you leave the car. Heat apparently is the killer for the components. I have one that should fit that bill, but it's beyond your stated budget. I bought it from a member here it's a ThinkWare 770 without the rear unit, but capable of one.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
In that price range, I chose the viofo A119 with gps. I purchased the unit with gps mount for $99. Added a 16Gb transcend high endurance card, polorizing filter, hard wire kit, and an add a fuse kit and am now into it all for about $160 (including camera purchase).

Just like anything else, the more of your needs you share, the more we can help.

What jbcummings is talking about are battery vs capacitor versions. The battery versions don't do well in extremerging heat. The drawback to the capacitor versions is the recording ending withim 1-3 seconds of power loss.

Start with the front. If you upgrade, you can move it to the back.

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I bought this one for $50, and it's perfect for my needs.

YI 2.7" Screen Full HD 1080P60 165 Wide Angle Dashboard Camera, Car DVR Vehicle Dash Cam with G-Sensor, WDR, Loop Recording, Grey https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C...cp_taa_wcjQzb31A0KWT

With the app, you can watch your recorded videos directly on your phone and even download them directly to your phone as well. Or tablet. Or computer. You access the dash cam over wifi.

I really don't know what more you need in a dash cam. For $50, you can't go wrong.

I use a 32 gb SD card in it that I also got off Amazon for $20.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I am using a Garmin Dash Cam 35. It is my third dash cam and the best so far, by far. It has been in service for about 18 months and has survived two St. Louis metro summers. There are so many to choose from, you just have to take a chance.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I did some shopping and ended up with a Falcon Zero 170+HD.

Very happy with it so far.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Viofro A 119s was a good choice for me, a couple of set-up bumps, but got good advice from some forum members. Thanks again, ya'll!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I've used one of these for about a year and a half and it works fine. You'll just need to buy a micro SD card to put in it.
No need to spend any more (about $50). The picture and sound quality are very good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluesk...0:g:YPAAAOSwVFlT2l1O

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ELK, I have this one collected dust on the shelf if you're interested. It has everything minus the box and memory card. I'll give you a good deal.http://www.dod-tech.us/product/dod-ls430w/

Posts: 465 | Location: Space City | Registered: October 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by unarmed:
ELK, I have this one collected dust on the shelf if you're interested. It has everything minus the box and memory card. I'll give you a good deal.http://www.dod-tech.us/product/dod-ls430w/

Appreciate the offer, but I already have one on the way Will be here Saturday.

Pyle Dash Cam Car Recorder

That is what I bought. Cost somewhat more than I had figured, but seems like a good deal,.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
In that price range, I chose the viofo A119 with gps. I purchased the unit with gps mount for $99. Added a 16Gb transcend high endurance card, polorizing filter, hard wire kit, and an add a fuse kit and am now into it all for about $160 (including camera purchase).

Just like anything else, the more of your needs you share, the more we can help.

What jbcummings is talking about are battery vs capacitor versions. The battery versions don't do well in extremerging heat. The drawback to the capacitor versions is the recording ending withim 1-3 seconds of power loss.

Start with the front. If you upgrade, you can move it to the back.

+1 for the Viofo 119

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Cheap $40 Wal-Mart Pilot brand camera.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUyBhiSAtaU

Garmin DriveAssist 50

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJXfbi3kmjs

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I wish I could have heard the commentary when the bully merger hit you SC. Wink

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I wish I could have heard the commentary when the bully merger hit you SC. Wink

It was just "you gotta be fucking kidding me".

You see I let her go after telling her to just calm down.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Cheap $40 Wal-Mart Pilot brand camera.

Garmin DriveAssist 50

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJXfbi3kmjs

Was that at the full quality or scaled down? I'm disappointed that I couldn't read the plate of the Mustang in front of you.

I'm following this thread as I'll be purchasing a couple dashcams soon.

Posts: 727 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
It's scaled down and there is glare off the dashboard. The clarity of the Garmin is fantastic.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
My wife has the Garmin Drive Assist 50 and my daughter and I have the Garmin 35. A Mars_Attacks says the clarity is outstanding.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/V1-Dash...RVVT35BABRMCNP20WG9B

I like it because it hides really nice behind the rear view mirror.
and
from the exterior of the vehicle , you really have to look for it , to find it

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the Falcon Zero in two vehicles and decided the dual view was still not worth the trade off in quality after I pulled video of a close call from some azzhat who tried to pass a semi and nearly swiped me heading opposite direction and realized the quality was just not there should I need it so I tried the Anker Roav and they are great - picture is very clear, hide very well by the mirror and access through wifi phone app is a huge bonus

Posts: 513 | Location: SEMO | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post