SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Am I looking for a unicorn: truck with decent gas mileage, towing capability....
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Am I looking for a unicorn: truck with decent gas mileage, towing capability.... Login/Join 
Picture of cooger
posted
My truck is getting some age on it and I'm trying to figure out what to get. I'd like something not outrageously priced, gets decent gas mileage, has some towing power, and decent leg room in a crew cab.

The Titans and Tundras I looked at can all pull a house off the foundation but get crazy low gas mileage. Ford and Chevys around here are insanely priced. I've looked at smaller trucks like the Nissan Frontier but their gas mileage isn't much better than the full size trucks. I only pull a utility trailer with a smaller zero turn mower 3-4 times a week, maybe 5 miles round trip so I don't need a lot of towing capability. I have seen a few good deals on used Tacomas but everyone I've talked to said the back seats are tiny.

Any thoughts? I've considered looking at SUVs instead due to the price.

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what is your current truck? Almost anything will tow that load so really we are talking mileage versus leg room and price. If you don't need a bed then really any small SUV will be a win in both categories. Except possibly price. I have found that the difference between brands for the same type of vehicle is pretty small, but OK. So what's the price target? new or used?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
what is your current truck? Almost anything will tow that load so really we are talking mileage versus leg room and price. If you don't need a bed then really any small SUV will be a win in both categories. Except possibly price. I have found that the difference between brands for the same type of vehicle is pretty small, but OK. So what's the price target? new or used?

Current truck is a 2001 F150 crew cab. Looking for used, $20,000 max budget but would like to stay near $17-18K

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Chevy Colorado. I'm hearing they're dealing more on these than Toyota is on Tacos.

Honda Ridgeline is about 2k more but gets about 1 mpg better

EDIT: saw that you're looking used. In that case the Nissan Frontier. I had a '13 4wd SV when I lived in Canada and liked it so much that I bought a '16 2wd SL when I moved to Texas.

I never buy first model year so I'd rule out:
  • 2016 Tacoma
  • 2015 Colorado or Canyon
  • 2017 Ridgeline

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23242 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Res ipsa loquitur
    Picture of BB61
    posted Hide Post
    My double cab Tacoma has plenty of room in the back seat and tows 6000 lbs. Mine is now 11 years old has over 177,000 miles on it and drives as good as the day I drove it off the lot.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of cooger
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by BB61:
    My double cab Tacoma has plenty of room in the back seat and tows 6000 lbs. Mine is now 11 years old has over 177,000 miles on it and drives as good as the day I drove it off the lot.

What kind of gas mileage do you get?

delicately calloused
    Picture of darthfuster
    posted Hide Post
    Mileage and towing? Cummins diesel.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29692 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Victim of Life's
    Circumstances
    Picture of doublesharp
    posted Hide Post
    I bought an 08 Ridgeline new and sounds like I use mine similar to you. I tow an 18' bass boat and a zero turn mower on a 12' trailer. Piece of cake. Mileage is 12-15 while towing and 15-21 in my normal old man driving style. Troublefree and easy to live with. Rear seat area was ahead of its time. Very spacious and comfortable. Great in Louisville winters, too.

First time I've ever kept a vehicle 10 years but there is nothing that a new one could do that would suit me any better. And I'm cheap, my 08 has been paid for for a while and I like that.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Good enough is neither
    good, nor enough
    posted Hide Post
    Eco boost F150

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Averaging 6.3
    posts per year
    posted Hide Post
    Research the Ram Ecodiesels. 1/2 ton diesel came out in 2014. 9,200lb towing capacity.

Rick

Texting.......easier than calling.

Posts: 1366 | Location: P.C., FL - the emerald coast | Registered: September 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Too clever by half
    Picture of jigray3
    posted Hide Post
    The trend is to go to small displacement engines for efficiency and forced induction to replace the power. In the F150, for example that can mean a 2.7L turbo. So, complexity increases with the addition of the turbo, which will likely adversely affect long term durability, and increased repair costs. Someone will be along to tell me I'm wrong, and the new turbos are reliable, but I've just seen way too many turbos fail to believe otherwise. Reliability and low incidence of repair means you have more money to pay for gas.

My last Tundra, a 4.0L V6 4x2, never got more than 19.75 mpg on the highway at 75+ MPH, but it cost less than $400 in repairs over the first 300K miles.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Nature is full of
    magnificent creatures
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by jigray3:
    My last Tundra, a 4.0L V6 4x2, never got more than 19.75 mpg on the highway at 75+ MPH, but it cost less than $400 in repairs over the first 300K miles.

What year was that Tundra?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Saluki
    posted Hide Post
    I was in your position a couple years ago. After searching and researching and found nothing but over priced worn out trucks.

I ended up getting a pretty well stripped F-150. 1% financing, a warrantee, and 20 mpg vs. 17 mpg. I desperately wanted a used model, I just couldn't see the savings, big picture. Check insurance rates too, as that was a fairly significant savings.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Dances With
    Tornados
    posted Hide Post
    I'm wondering if a SUV, based on the same platform as the truck version, might be a more economical buy.

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    PopeDaddy
    Picture of x0225095
    posted Hide Post
    Ram 1500

What’s good?

My hemi gets 21-22 highway

1500 Diesel gets better

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    2018 Chevy Silverado Double cab 4X4. 4.3 V6
    5800 Miles on the clock.
    20 MPG around town. On average.
    Earlier this month I took a 1400 mile round trip. Best MPG was 27.5 Average was 24.
    For a full size pickup, I think that's pretty good.
    But I don't tow with it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
    Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
    Picture of 911Boss
    posted Hide Post
    My 2015 F-150 SuperCrew seats 5 comfortably and a 6th if I put the center console up on the front seat.

2.7L EcoBoost engine has averaged 20mpg over 50K+ miles. Only problem I have had is my wife hitting things or other cars hitting it Mad

When I was shopping no such thing as discounts on a Toyota trucks and I was able to go full-size for about $3000 more than the similar equipped Frontier or Tacoma.

Sticker was $43K, but after discounts/rebates ended up paying $36K and change.

I imagine used market right now would be in the $25-$27K range.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10936 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Age Quod Agis
    Picture of ArtieS
    posted Hide Post
    Ford 2.7 Ecoboost if you can find one. Depending on your towing needs, they are available with different rear gearing, but you would probably be ok with any version.

MPG for a friend of mine who has one is in the low 20s for a full 4 door with 5.5 bed.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12772 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Shit don't
    mean shit
    posted Hide Post
    Are you looking at 2 WD? Huge price difference between 4WD and 2WD and most folks don't need 4WD.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Middle children
    of history
    Picture of Brett B
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by cooger:
    quote:
    Originally posted by BB61:

What kind of gas mileage do you get?

Honest question, why do you care about gas mileage so much? It's only one very minor factor in deciding which truck to buy. You should be looking at total cost of ownership if you are worried about gas costs that much.

It only takes 1 or 2 repairs for a less reliable vehicle that gets 2 MPG better to suddenly have a much higher cost of ownership than something that has mediocre gas mileage but renowned reliability.

For example if you drive 12k miles a year and gas is $2.50 a gallon, your yearly gas bill will be $1,875 @ 16 MPG and $1,667 @ 18 mpg, a difference of $208. That's basically the cost of one very minor repair.

Also keep in mind some of the trucks that claim 1-2 MPG better gas mileage than the competition require premium gas, so total gas bill will actually be higher.

For your described needs I'd buy a used Tacoma double cab and never look back.

-------------------------
    SCAR forend upgrades:
    www.regosys.com
    www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post