SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Acer vs Asus laptops
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Acer vs Asus laptops Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
My current Asus "RoG" laptop is maybe 4 years old and beginning to show signs of its age. Looking for a new, <$1,500 laptop for surfing, picture/video editing, and light gaming. I was looking at two similar systems on Amazon. 512gb SSD, 2TB HD, i7-8750(?) chip, 16gb RAM, and a GeForce GTX 1060 graphics card.

Only real difference is the Acer ($100 more) has 6gb on the GTX, opposed to 3gb on the Asus.

Any opinions?

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Acer is GTG ... or do you have a specific question?

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I am partial to the Acer but either should be good enough.

I bought an Acer Aspire 7 17" laptop from Newegg with similar specs late last year and I like it. It came with a 256GB SSD and an easily accessible drive bay that I dropped a 1TB SSD in for storage. It boots up instantly and does everything I want it to do easily. I don't do videos though so I don't know how well it performs in that area.

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
It's been a really, really long time since I had one, like dial up days, but the ACER I had was filled with proprietary bloatware and was super slow (for that times standards). I'm sure it's no comparison to today's product, but I've stayed away ever since. My last computer I bought from Dell as open box/refurbished and I'm super happy with.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
My wife has an ASUS ROG Strix laptop. It was good, but it had a really hard time keeping the GTX 1070 in it cool, and eventually the GPU started to flake out. I replaced it about two months ago with an Acer with a 6GB 1060. She has zero complaints, and I can't say it was any more full of crapware than the ASUS was. It does run much cooler than the 1070 laptop did.

I would pay for the 6GB of video memory. 3GB is actually too little for some of the latest games and can have a major performance affect, and I doubt games will end up using less memory in the future.

- Bret

Posts: 2465 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Spend the extra on the Acer. More vram is always good.

You can remove the bloatware. I do it on every PC or phone I get.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Recently got an Acer Aspire 5 Laptop - Intel Core i7 - GeForce MX150 , 256 SSD, 1TB HDD (upgraded to 2TB). Does exactly what I want it to. Do wish it had an internal disk drive, though.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M-11:
Recently got an Acer Aspire 5 Laptop - Intel Core i7 - GeForce MX150 , 256 SSD, 1TB HDD (upgraded to 2TB). Does exactly what I want it to. Do wish it had an internal disk drive, though.
I'm guessing you mean internal DVD drive. I took the internal DVD drive from an old non working laptop and bought an external case for it to get a working external DVD drive for this latest laptop. Still haven't had a need to actually use it though.

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
ASUS - not good experiences.

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I have had an Acer 17" laptop for about four years now. It's my everyday computer and has been rock solid with nary a hiccup.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post