SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NJ Emergency Alert System Accidentally Activates, Sends Nuclear Warnings to Some TVs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NJ Emergency Alert System Accidentally Activates, Sends Nuclear Warnings to Some TVs Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
Imagine sitting there in your easy chair having a few drinks and seeing this rolling across your TV screen Big Grin

A false alarm that went out to some people’s television sets Tuesday might have scared some in New Jersey.

A nuclear power plant warning issued in Cumberland and Salem counties was sent out by mistake.

The message that was sent out said “a civil authority has issued a nuclear power plant warning for the following counties/areas.”

A short time later, the New Jersey Office of Emergency Management tweeted that the emergency alert was “false.”

It said that message went out in error.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news...stake-424005554.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Now where did I put that bottle of potassium iodide?

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
This is the power plant my father in law works at. He's in charge of safety procedures at the plant.

I was busting his balls today about this. The plant is currently in an outage period (not that anyone other than employees would really know that).

He was saying that the plant was running a safety drill at the time the message was sent out and someone sent the actual message out, rather than just ignore the drill command.

As for the public around the power plant, they are rather understandably pissed off....but at least the system works.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
This has been a test of the emergency broadcast system. If this had been an actual emergency you would have been instructed to bend over, grab your ankles and kiss your ass goodbye.

This has only been a test.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
It's not like NJ has had a partial core meltdown before....oh wait, never mind.

Receiving a nuclear warning would make my asshole pucker

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its hilarious the alert is only for an hour!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Damn, I bet that was a trip.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Would anyone really notice if something like that happened in NJ? I mean... seriously, how could you tell?

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post