SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hammerhead on the line
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hammerhead on the line Login/Join 
posted
Enjoy. I wonder if alcohol was a factor here.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Vino Veritas
Picture of Jaycat
posted Hide Post
Poor shark

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun!!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Clarksville TN | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn't see the end of the vid. Hope he let it go, hammerheads are neat sharks, rarely maneaters.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Vino Veritas
Picture of Jaycat
posted Hide Post
Im going diving in Cozumel in August....they have sighted hammerheads seferal times this year which is very rare. I have dove with tons on harmless nurse sharks and a few black tip nut never a hammerhead!

Cheers
Jaycat

Posts: 1039 | Location: Clarksville TN | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Vino Veritas
Picture of Jaycat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaycat:
Im going diving in Cozumel in August....they have sighted hammerheads several times this year which is very rare. I have dove with tons on harmless nurse sharks and a few black tip but never a hammerhead!

Cheers
Jaycat

Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stkfox:
Didn't see the end of the vid. Hope he let it go, hammerheads are neat sharks, rarely maneaters.

The poster of the video said his iPad died before the event ended, and that the shark was released.

I'm a catch-and-release freshwater fisherman myself, and I gotta say, seeing that from a perspective at least a bit closer to that of the fish's did make me kind of feel sorry for it. The fact that I didn't know if that was some yahoo who was going to kill the fish for no reason probably didn't help.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I dunno about these guys and their intentions.

But you know - as long as you eat it, it is never not OK (unless it's a protected species) to keep a fish, deer, and the rest of the critters and things from the garden that sane humans eat, though I no longer support trophy hunting (but don't try to stop it), and I definitely advocate catch and release in competitive fishing,

But fishing and hunting for food has always been and should always be OK, interesting animals or not.

I'd much, much rather eat a critter I've taken myself than to get it from the store. The freshness of it, the visceral and intellectual reality of it, the basal human nature of it, the long long history of it. We get so distanced from our food these days, packaged, trimmed, uniform, as though Toyota or Ikea made it or if steaks/etc grow on trees or something.

Granted, I eat mostly grocery store food like most everyone else, even after hunting and fishing on and off since I was 8yo, but I often wish it were less store bought and more hunting/fishing/gardening. I think it's an important part of humanity and being human. I wouldn't "make" anyone, but I think everyone should hunt, kill, field dress, process, and cook their own animal and fish at least once, grow their own veggies at least once, etc.

Cool creatures or not, within sane and wise and apolitical game management boundaries.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I watched the next vid too. It seems they release. The man in the water is to handle the leader and to get the shark safely back into the surf. Pretty cool. Nuts. But cool.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Way back in the '70s my brother and I began shark fishing. I think over 15 years we only killed two or three Mako Sharks and they got eaten. I've caught a few Hammerheads, a big one 8 FT + off Montauk one year.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
They released it. My understanding is these guys do this to tag these sharks.

I've only once seen a Hammer Head when diving and it was a good 50 feet below me. Would like to see more but they are not a common shark you come across when diving.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Im going diving in Cozumel in August....they have sighted hammerheads seferal times this year which is very rare. I have dove with tons on harmless nurse sharks and a few black tip nut never a hammerhead!

Cheers
Jaycat

I'm not sure I've ever seen a shark in Mexico although we mostly dive the coast around Akumal and then inland in the caves. Never dived Cozumel.

If the Whale Sharks are there you should consider doing that. I was in Mexico when they were around and did the trip. Very cool to swim with them.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
i knew a guy who was into wreck diving.

He told a story of a dive into a sunken Liberty Ship. It went something like this:

quote:
As I swam into the open cargo hold everything was okay, but when I swam under the deck and turn to swim to the aft bulkhead, I literally bumped headlong into a 10+ foot hammerhead. My head knocked it squarely in the middle of the hammer.

The shark was as surprised as I was, with one notable difference.

A shark doesn't have a wetsuit on to contain bodily wasted emitted in times of sudden, severe fright.

The dive boat crew didn't understand why I surfaced in just my swimsuit, carrying my wetsuit, until I told them about the shark.

His dive partner thought the story was hilarious, told the story to everyone on the boat, and confirmed the encounter.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
i knew a guy who was into wreck diving.

He told a story of a dive into a sunken Liberty Ship. It went something like this:

quote:
As I swam into the open cargo hold everything was okay, but when I swam under the deck and turn to swim to the aft bulkhead, I literally bumped headlong into a 10+ foot hammerhead. My head knocked it squarely in the middle of the hammer.

The shark was as surprised as I was, with one notable difference.

A shark doesn't have a wetsuit on to contain bodily wasted emitted in times of sudden, severe fright.

The dive boat crew didn't understand why I surfaced in just my swimsuit, carrying my wetsuit, until I told them about the shark.

His dive partner thought the story was hilarious, told the story to everyone on the boat, and confirmed the encounter.

I've dived a few wrecks off the NC coast that can have 100+ sharks swimming around them. I was inside one of these wrecks and came to a "T" in a hallway. As I swam into the "T" a small(3-4') shark came down the hallway. I put my hand out and gently touched its side to prevent my head from colliding with him. He just casually continued swimming.

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:

Cheers
Jaycat
Maricaibo deep!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aloha,

Every time I've been near a 13'+ hammer head or

tiger shark, my dive partners all told me that I happened to be looking the other way when the shark swam past me.

Ignorance is bliss.

All the sharks I SAW were less than 8 feet.

Posts: 1200 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: October 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been in the water with a few Hammerheads, free diving and scuba, a few close enough to touch. One was about 13-15' long, big'in. This weekend, saw about 7 big Lemons in about 60' of water, this is the time of year for Lemons.

Never been on a "shark dive" but have been close to plenty of Bulls, nurse, Lemons, Hammerheads, and one really big White. Of all of them, only the Bulls have on occasion rushed me.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post