SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Electrical question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electrical question Login/Join 
posted
I'm adding some LED strip lights to my garage and contemplating the best way to wire them. The existing keyless fixture box will be used as a junction box. No light will be in that location. The diagrams don't reflect actual distance or the difficulty in getting the wire to those locations. Option B would be easier. Is there any reason A is superior to B or that B would not meet code? Thanks!

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
The only thing that should matter is box fill. The ceiling box at the point labeled line may or may not be able to accommodate 4 wires entering the box. One wire in and 3 wires out assuming 14AWG wiring is 18 cu in. Then there are add ons for box clamps if present. The cu in of box is usually stamped or printed on the box. Other than box fill there is no reason you couldn't wire it either way.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just did the same. I asked an electrical engineer and was told for best lighting, two rows in each bay reduces shadows. As far as junction box, I would run the line to the first light, then proceed to the next. Otherwise you're left trying to make a good connection out of several wires and a large wirenut.
I work for an electrical utility, but I'm NOT an electrician.
Also I didn't buy "bargain basement " LEDs. My lighting in my garage is amazing!

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1118 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this. I just bought eight of the 4 ft LEDs from Costco the other day for my new shop and was wondering the best way to wire/hang them.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
The only thing that should matter is box fill. The ceiling box at the point labeled line may or may not be able to accommodate 4 wires entering the box. One wire in and 3 wires out assuming 14AWG wiring is 18 cu in.

Thanks!

My plan was to remove that existing box and put a junction box flipped the other way in the attic (easy access) then close the ceiling. I can select the box size as needed.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got 3 of the GT-lite 500w equivalent LED corn bulbs from Menards to screw into the overhead bulb sockets in my garage recently. They were on sale for about $32 each at the time and each uses 100W and produces 10,000 lumens. 30K lumens lights up the 3-car garage pretty well and it was an easy unscrew the old/screw in the new bulbs procedure. We'll see how long they last!

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.menards.com/main/e...7844215362295&ipos=5

These?

I may have to pick some up for the other side of the garage. On the "working side" I think longer strip lights might throw less shadow.

posted Hide Post
Yep, those are the ones. One of my 3 had some unlighted leds on it that I discovered after I got it home, so I took it back and got a replacement. I had a sales clerk power on the replacement in the store before I took it (it worked fine), but you need sunglasses to assess that test! Cool

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:
Got 3 of the GT-lite 500w equivalent LED corn bulbs from Menards to screw into the overhead bulb sockets in my garage recently. They were on sale for about $32 each at the time and each uses 100W and produces 10,000 lumens. 30K lumens lights up the 3-car garage pretty well and it was an easy unscrew the old/screw in the new bulbs procedure. We'll see how long they last!

If they're in an open fixture so the heat can dissipate probably pretty well, if they're in an enclosed fixture probably not long.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I had been looking at these at Northern Tool. (link below) But they only go up to 4400 lumens.
I was really liking the ones with reflectors, no need wasting light in lighting up the ceiling.

As for the strip lights, most will link end to end. If that set up works for you then you only need to feed one place for each run.

https://www.northerntool.com/s...stone+LED+Light+Bulb

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post