SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My reaction after being told by police officer that the house was clear.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My reaction after being told by police officer that the house was clear. Login/Join 
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted
Today we got called out on a somewhat atypical job for us. Guy has an ex wife living in his former home with some of his stuff which was never removed. Among this stuff was his collection of firearms stored in gun safes.

Ex wife's cheese slips off her cracker the other day. She threatens to kill him, his attorney, and herself. Police arrive and take her to the hospital for a short stay. Judge grants order to former husband to enter home to locate and remove all firearms along with the safes. Doctors aren't going to cut her loose with guns in the home.

Two officers from different agencies meet everybody there. Home is entered and they clear it to make sure nobody is inside. Once they are happy we're all alone they leave everybody there to do their thing. Former husband has a few friends to help with all of the guns, his attorney, one of his ex wive's friends as a witness, and two of us.

Two pistols are unaccounted for. They are looking all over to no avail. In the basement there's a locked storage area. Former husband asks if I have the ability to pick the lock so they can check that area. No problem. Grab a few tools off the truck, kneel in front of the door, pick the lock, turn the handle, and push the door open.

Crazy ex wife's crazy ass friend hiding in locked area. I think I wet myself a little. Big Grin

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Glad you are safe!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:

Crazy ex wife's crazy ass friend hiding in locked area.

Guy friend or another gal?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guy friend or another gal?

Another woman. She didn't appear to be dangerous but it was very weird. Almost as if she was standing there with her ear against the door listening to what was going on.

Surely she knew we were on the way in. Why she didn't come out (or hid) from the police, or why she didn't open the door when we're all standing there talking about picking it open is beyond me. I'm convinced she wasn't right. May explain why the two are friends.

The former husband's attorney was a woman so we sicced her on the nut job.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Never a dull moment!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Did you ever find the other two handguns?

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
Did you ever find the other two handguns?

Yeah, don't leave us hanging about the "unaccounted" handguns!

(Locked herself in a storage area?? Crazy may be an understatement for the "Posse"...).

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Freaky deaky. Freaky freaky deaky.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
That would scare me too.

Since a crazy person or two was involved, I guess it could've been worse such as a body in the locked storage.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
The other two pistols were probably in her prison wallet, lol.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Damn

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Geezus! Almost like a movie!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
So what happened next? Dont leave us hanging!

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Poo and pee would have come out in that situation.

One night, I had a trainee and another officer, close by, had one also. I heard the other's trainee calling out our unit number on car to car like he had forgotten his unit number and didn't know he wasn't transmitting to dispatch. My trainee and I looked at each other trying to understand what was happening. We then heard him say over the radio "shots fired!" We knew where they were so we screamed over code 3 toward their location.

As we approached we saw neighbors ducking in the street as if bullets were still flying so I backed away as fast as I could and stopped. We approached on foot with weapons drawn. We made it to the front of the residence where we saw both officera who seemed like they were under stress. The officer told me that he had just been involved in a shooting, and my adrenaline was on full flow even more. There were a few people inside, and I grabbed each of them by their shoulders and went down the row asking the officer "is this the one?"

He told that the guy he had shot was on the ground in the hallway. The trainee and I then saw the guy, who was on the ground handcuffed, and we carried him outside since we saw that he had a leg wound.

Once outside, I saw that the officer was limping, and I asked him what his problem was. He checked himself and saw that he had been shot right in front of his holster in his hip. The bullet had entered his hip and struck his holster after exiting. I then called out "officer down, request medical ASAP" and then grabbed the medical bag in my trunk.

While waiting, the officer told me that both he and his trainee had been at the residence earlier in the day due to some type of burglary/criminal trespass/family violence incident, and that the problem was with an ex-husband or ex-boyfriend. He told me the guy had left the scene before he had arrived, and that as he and the trainee were driving by later in the night just to keep an eye out of the guy, he was flagged down by the family.

They "cleared" the residence, and after they did, they were talking with the family inside when one member asked if they had cleared the bedroom with the closed door. The officer approached the door with his weapon drawn and announced himself. At that time, the bad guy on the other side of the door began shooting through the door.

The officer fell backward and was firing into the door as he did. After the quick firefight, he found out he had struck the bad guy in the leg, and he and the trainee then took him into custody.

It is a similar story, but an outcome which could have happened to you, OP. Glad it is just a startle and not and GSW or worse.

Due to the officer having been transported and due to the trainee's level, I was stuck with all of the paperwork. That officer returned to work not too long after the incident, but he was eventually forced to resign for something really really stupid relating to a sticker on his vehicle...even after taking a bullet for the agency.

He has been with another agency for 20 years or more now, and his trainee just retired as a sergeant recently. The trainee I had may still be with my old agency as far as I know.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1164 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
The other two pistols were probably in her prison wallet, lol.

You may be right. He never found the other two, so I'm assuming they'll have to ask her about their whereabouts.

quote:
So what happened next? Dont leave us hanging!

She never came out of the "closet". Big Grin

By the time I opened the door all of the other guns had been removed from the safes and were in the process of being wrapped up. The lawyer occupied her while we got everything out. Didn't take us long.

I'm assuming after we were outside the lawyer slowly closed the door and walked away locking her back inside where she was comfortable.

quote:
Glad it is just a startle and not and GSW or worse.

My first thought was that it was the crazy ex-wife herself. This was a pretty large woman, and she had nothing in her hands, so the fear went away pretty quickly.

Generally my opening of all things locked is limited to safes. Never had a crazy person jump out of a locked safe before, so I should probably just stick to that. Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Woooo weee, I’ll take “Aw hell naw” for $1000 Alex!

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Crazy ex wife's crazy ass friend hiding in locked area. I think I wet myself a little. Big Grin
So--were the missing guns in there, too?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
from above

quote:
never found the other two, so I'm assuming they'll have to ask her about their whereabouts.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post