SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Flying from Orlando to Maryland to buy car and drive back. Various questions.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flying from Orlando to Maryland to buy car and drive back. Various questions. Login/Join 
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Before you make the trip I have had good luck using cargurus to find cars. Here are the siennas in your area(ish)

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/...tDirection=undefined

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whenever I go out of state to pick up used semis I always take a one way rental car. I’ve found that if you select airport to airport it’s the cheapest rental car price and depending on distance it’s cheaper than flying. Not much on flying and all the TSA security theater that is involved. I can take whatever I want with no hassles or groping. The abliltiy to take along heavy tool boxes is nice. You could do the same if you had the time. Maybe even stop along the way and get a room for two nights and leave your gun in the room (in a safe of course) while you drive into MD and purchase the car.

God, Guns, and Guts made this country....let's keep all three

Posts: 495 | Location: TX | Registered: March 09, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
Hello. I'm here now Edmond. Big Grin Depending on how you plan to purchase you may want to get all the financing approvals done via phone before you come up. You'll need an ID of course. Might want to bring your check book as well just in case. If you plan to use a debit card or credit card for all or part of the purchase make sure the bank has a high enough single day withdrawal/charge limit. Make sure when you add the car to insurance that they change to the date to the day you are calling. Insurance companies have this weird thing where they add a new vehicle and the new insurance cards have a start date of the *next* day. Strange. They have computers there so you can check your email and/or get a fax there as well.

This happened all the time when I worked there. Especially Florida but other states as well. The AWD Sienna was especially popular for Floridians to purchase because they were so hard to find down there and when one was found it was marked up pretty high.

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3810 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roadkill:
Whenever I go out of state to pick up used semis I always take a one way rental car.

BWI is the best choice. It's very close.

You can ask your agent and sometimes he or she will pick you up at the airport. Either way there are tons of Ubers and Lyfts waiting for riders. The airport is a short drive from CarMax.

- Frank Castle

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muddle_mann:
quote:
Originally posted by roadkill:
Whenever I go out of state to pick up used semis I always take a one way rental car.

BWI is the best choice. It's very close.

You can ask your agent and sometimes he or she will pick you up at the airport. Either way there are tons of Ubers and Lyfts waiting for riders. The airport is a short drive from CarMax.

You can also fly into Reagan located in Alexandria, VA. A bit further out than BWI, 30-45 minutes, but still close enough for Carmax to send someone to pick you up. You'd have to cross into DC for a few miles but riding in a Carmax courtesy van risk should be negligible.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
quote:
You'd have to cross into DC for a few miles but riding in a Carmax courtesy van risk should be negligible.

The courtesy shuttle will not go this far out. Plus it's mostly for the service department. BWI is a much better option.

- Frank Castle

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muddle_mann:
The AWD Sienna was especially popular for Floridians to purchase because they were so hard to find down there and when one was found it was marked up pretty high.

Any Floridian that buys an all wheel drive ANYTHING is out of their mind. I test drove used minivans, and the guy tried to put me in a AWD Sienna. I shut that shit down quick. More shit to break and more to maintain, less fuel mileage, and ZERO need for all wheel drive in Florida. My sister in law bought an all wheel drive Acura (against my advice) and it was a maintenance and repair NIGHTMARE. I finally said, "told you so".

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
So, roads don't get wet in Florida? Sorry, I have to disagree... I love AWD....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
You need AWD because the roads get wet? That's a good one.

After 18 years of driving in Florida, I've never once thought AWD or 4WD would have made driving on the roads there better. I did wind up stuck in the median on I-75 once during a deluge in my 2wd Dodge Dakota. The tires were practically bald and I had tried to get them replaced earlier that same day, but the correct size was not in stock. I hydroplaned and 4wd wouldn't have helped.

A couple of times, I've tried to run my F-350 in 4wd on wet roads, but the tires have too much grip and the drivetrain chatters. 4wd came in handy twice pulling my 14,500lb 5th wheel out of a camping spot after two days of rain. Both spots had about 15 feet of soft ground between the gravel camping pad and the paved road.

Posts: 10822 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
You need AWD because the roads get wet? That's a good one.
ABS is helpful on slick roads in Florida's summer downpours. AWD maybe not so much.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
ABS is helpful on slick roads in Florida's summer downpours. AWD maybe not so much.

I agree.

I moved here with a 4WD 2500 Pick-up, my woods truck.. The service dept. advised me to shift into 4wd at least once every 3 months and I had to find a unpaved road to use for that purpose. Fortunately the entrance road to the range is sand/dirt/gravel and as long as I could remember to engage 4wd I was OK.

Never even once did I ever feel that I needed or even wanted to use 4wd here---so the investment was wasted. I have bought two new trucks since then, all 2wd with ABS & traction control and never regretted it.
There is a lot of sand near the beach and in in the State Forests but it seems more firm than the Lake Michigan Sand in which I used to get stuck.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have bought long distance before, had no issues. The main problem I see is driving through the Speed trap, radar running, traffic camera state of Virginia. Do yourself a favor be very careful. Be aware they will screw you at every opportunity.

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
The worries about Virginia are greatly exaggerated. If you don't speed, I promise you won't get ticketed for speeding. Whatever you do don't go over 80 mph, it's reckless driving.

I usually drive 9mph over limit or with flow of traffic, never been ticketed.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
If you don't speed, I promise you won't get ticketed for speeding.

hmm. makes sense

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
thought carmax would trasport your car from another carmax dealer for you?

Posts: 1817 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mjlennon:
thought carmax would trasport your car from another carmax dealer for you?

^Asked several times and answered on pg2.

quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

Only the MD and WI Carmax sell new Toyota's and they are not transferable.

Posts: 10822 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Where ya at, Edmond?

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
Where ya at, Edmond?

I have an update.

Will start new car post and details in separate thread. Big Grin

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where ya at, Edmond?
Edmond is in our general vicinity, more or less. In the UCF area.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Where ya at, Edmond?
Edmond is in our general vicinity, more or less. In the UCF area.

I know, I know. I was looking for an update.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post