SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Flying from Orlando to Maryland to buy car and drive back. Various questions.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flying from Orlando to Maryland to buy car and drive back. Various questions. Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
Long story short, the dealers here in FL suck. All of them have high dealer fees and won't discount as much as a Carmax in Maryland does.

Vehicle would be a new 2018 Toyota Sienna. Carmax is offering a price which is around $2,200 less than what local dealers here are offering.

Already called Carmax and they said I can buy coming from out of state. Their dealer fee is $299, which is much less than the typical $799+ fee for dealers around here. I also get a 60 day MD tag and need to get FL tags when I get back. Tax is tax, I'll pay the FL (Orange County) rate regardless of where I buy from.

I'm thinking that for such a significant price difference, I can afford to fly out in the morning (thinking BWI), Uber to Carmax in Laurel and drive back all in the same day. Drive is about 13 hours.

Of course, being on the road for 13 hours/880 miles, I would like to carry where I can. I know that carrying in MD is out of the question with my resident FL permit. Looks like taking 495 will help me avoid DC. VA, NC, SC and GA recognize my permit.

If I'm flying into MD, would I have to be concerned arriving with a checked in firearm and ammunition? Was thinking P938 with JHP. Other than the dealership, I was not going to stop for anything else in MD.

PS. Yeah, I know a minivan doesn't sound cool but the utility factor is way high. We counted out the Highlander after renting one and realizing that as large as the vehicle is, it doesn't provide as much space as one would imagine. Passengers in the 3rd row are cramped. If the 3rd row is up, you get no luggage space. With a wife, 3 year old and 2 dogs, traveling in a Kia Sportage isn't very comfortable for our road trips.

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am of no help, however I know Maryland and DC are one of those commie states that are not gun friendly that I try to avoid going through when CCWing and driving in the northern Virginia area. Drive 5 miles one way you are in Maryland not good, drive 5 miles another way, you are in the DC area, also not good. I am sure someone here with experience and knowledge will be able to help you here. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3067 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Be careful not to get a ticket while traveling through Virginia.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’d plan an overnight stop somewhere, that day is too long, it’s not worth dying for. Driving is the biggest acute risk we take.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Why not CarMax in VA, NC, SC, GA, or SC??? Can they not get you the same Deal? Or work out a deal with CarMax in MD and then have it transferred to FL? Highest transfer fee I’ve seen on CarMax is like $599, likely less than your airfare.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barndg00:
Why not CarMax in VA, NC, SC, GA, or SC??? Can they not get you the same Deal? Or work out a deal with CarMax in MD and then have it transferred to FL? Highest transfer fee I’ve seen on CarMax is like $599, likely less than your airfare.

I believe he is buying a new car- which some of the Carmax dealers in MD are retail stores for Toyota. Whereas the regular Carmax stores you are referencing are the normal used car "superstore" style. Therefore they play by different rules when it comes to transferring a car between stores. That's only for the used stuff.

Posts: 478 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've done several 900 mile a day trips. Not sure I'd add a flight, buying a car, etc to it.

Seems like there should be a dealer in a closer state that could come close in price to make it worthwhile.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I agree with these guys. What you're proposing sounds like a 18 hour day of travel including the ordeal of buying a car. The risk you'd take from not having a pistol is probably minute compared to the drive.

And MD law states:
"Carrying and Transportation in Vehicles
It is unlawful for any person without a permit to wear or carry a handgun, openly or concealed, upon or about his person. It is also unlawful for any person to knowingly transport a handgun in any vehicle traveling on public roads, highways, waterways or airways, or upon roads or parking lots generally used by the public. This does not apply to any person wearing, carrying or transporting a handgun within the confines of real estate owned or leased by him, or on which he resides, or within the confines of a business establishment owned or leased by him."

It would be a shame to pile up the new Sienna because you're fatigued. And $2200 won't be much of a savings if you end up in the ER from a wreck.

At least ask the dealership about what it would cost to have the vehicle delivered.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Sounds like an adventure to me.... I say do it...

I can't for the life of me figure out how you would be breaking any laws if you left the pistol in your luggage like it was when you checked it at the airport to fly out..(federal interstate transport laws) Keep it that way until you reach Virginia...

fly in... get to the dealer .... pay them... throw your suit case in the back and get the hell out of that state.... the only bad part is you are giving Maryland some of your money.

Heck, if you want to spend the money out of Florida... fly into Greenville here and do the same thing... give me a call and we'll go to my gun club before you head home.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Not worth it to me at all. All that effort to save $2,200?

Median income in MD is $17,000 per year higher and land values are much higher in MD. It would seem almost impossible that cars sell for less in MD than FL.

When I go to matches in MD I won't even stop for gas out of fear of getting caught with a gun.

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Pages/FAQs.aspx

quote:
​They must be unloaded, in a carrying case, holster with a flap and the ammunition should be separate. It would be best to keep the unloaded weapon in the trunk where you do not have access to it. There are further regulations but essentially you can only transport a handgun between residence, to and from a repair shop, a shooting sporting event, between a residence and place of business if substantially owned and operated by the person. For more information please contact our Licensing Division​.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
I’d call the state police there and ask. Just don’t give your name or itinerary to them Cool

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
stay out of NY NJ and canada with a pistol!

Here is a good site for information. http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Bill

Posts: 726 | Location: Florida | Registered: October 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Most I've ever driven in 1 day is 785 miles and it was not fun. When I got home I told the wife if she wanted me to drive 1/2 mile down the road to the little market the answer was no.

Why not break up the drive with a stop at a cheap hotel? I'm not saying Motel 6 cheap but I'm sure you could find a Hampton Inn or Fairfield Inn (Mariott facility) for $100 a night.....

Also I'd leave the pistol at home rather than risk a confrontation with the Maryland State Police. They are VERY anti-gun.

https://theconservativetreehou...en-it-goes-downhill/

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4521 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't for the life of me figure out how you would be breaking any laws if you left the pistol in your luggage like it was when you checked it at the airport to fly out..(federal interstate transport laws) Keep it that way until you reach Virginia...

IANAL, but...
Interstate transport means transiting a state while en route to a final destination elsewhere. Generally means no stopping along the way except for fuel or food. Buying a car would exceed that in my opinion.

You would definitely be tempting fate by flying into BWI with a checked pistol. Odds are, you'd get away with it, but realistically, you're risking a felony conviction, probable jail time, and a world of financial hurt. Are you that kind of gambler?

I discussed this once with a member here facing a similar issue. He wanted to buy a car in NJ and drive it home to LA. In his plan, he would fly into an airport in PA. The dealer would pick him up, along with his luggage and checked firearm, and drive him to the state line.
I would meet them at a rest stop just inside PA, take possession of the luggage, and keep it with me over the bridge into NJ. It would stay in my car while he completed the transaction with the dealer, then I'd follow him back across the bridge to PA, where I would hand him his suitcase, and he'd start the trek back to his home state, on a route carefully calculated to keep him in states where his CCW permit was recognized.

Would it be a gamble? Yes, but low risk in my opinion. As a sworn LEO in NJ, I felt the odds of me getting jammed up were pretty slim. Plus, the dealership was only a mile over the border.

Maybe see if you can find a dealer closer to the state line into PA or VA, where your permit is valid, and find someone willing to hold your stuff for a couple hours?

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3141 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
When I was looking at trucks, Maryland waa one of the places that had one and was close enough to an airport Alligiant flys. Plane ticket was $100. Dealership was a $50 shuttle bus ride away from the airport. For me it was an $8,000 savings, but I'd do it for $2,200 as well.

I'd plan on two days. I don't see a problem with driving 13 hours if you get a good night's rest and leave as the sun comes up, but I've also ridden three 1,000+ mile days on a 1998 Kawasaki ZX-9R. I would fly in, get the deal done, get some miles out of the way the first day, spend the night in a decent motel, and finish the trip the next day. I'd definitely get out of Maryland and not deal with morning traffic there.

I wouldn't worry about having a handgun, properly cased with Maryland legal magazines, but I'd make sure I didn't go through DC.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$2,200.00, minus

Airfare
Uber
Gas
Food
Hotel(that is one long day)
wear/tear on vehicle
your time (you will be worthless the next day)
Risk/reward (13+ hours on I-95)
= $$$

What is the true "net" savings at the end of the day?

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delmag Tech
posted Hide Post
Have you checked pricing at I-95toyota.com up in Brunswick, GA?

I pass by there occasionally and theyre always advertising heavy discounts.

Posts: 742 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
In reality, after expenses, you are probably saving $1,200. Is it worth it? Only you can decide.

I'd break the trip into 2 days. I've driven 900 miles in a day before but typically I like to keep it to around 500-600. We regularly drive that far about 20 days a year and we're in our late 60's.

I know this gores against many folks grain, but I'd leave the firearm at home and take that worry out of the equation. Also, the dealer may pick you up at the airport without charge. I've done it before.

Good luck on your new ride - wherever you buy it.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To be honest I would just leave the gun home rather than risk getting jammed up by the communists in MD. You can do a search on carguru.com and maybe find a similar deal in a state that's gun friendly and closer to your home. You can contact a dealer either by phone or email and see if they'll meet or beat the deal you have with Carmax in MD. I can't believe you can't find the same deal in a state closer to your home. I live in PA and bought a 2015 Camry from Koons Toyota in Arlington, VA and got a good deal. Koons lists their discounts on their webpage so no need to haggle.

I'd recommend you do a lot more searching from the comfort of your own home to find a good deal on a vehicle and not risk the hazards of navigating MD gun laws plus the expenses and time it takes to fly to MD and drive home.

Oh..Laurel, MD is less than 30 minutes from BWI so ask the dealer to send a courtesy van to pick you up if you decide to go with Carmax in MD, it well save you a couple bucks over using Uber

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Done this trip many times. Surprised no one has recommended the Amtrak Auto Train, it will end up being a net savings once you factor in gas, exhaustion and hotel:

https://m.amtrak.com/h5/r/www.amtrak.com/auto-train

$420, direct from Lorton, VA (near DC) to Sanford, FL (just outside Orlando).

Posts: 2324 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post