SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    After six years on the overnight shift, going back to days with a new position...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

After six years on the overnight shift, going back to days with a new position... Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted
Been doing the 911 thing for almost 27 years now, last 6 have been on the 2230-0630 shift with either Fri/Sat or Sun/Mon furloughs. Not once in those 27 years have I had Sat/Sun off as I never had enough seniority while Call Receiving or Dispatching and as a floor supervisor we always split the weekend into the F/S and S/M option.

Well, that all changes now as I was chosen for a new assignment of “Administrative Supervisor”. Instead of running the shift I will be tasked with a variety of projects and duties that were previously handled by the eight floor supervisors, tech support folks, Ops Manager, and Section Commander.

It is a new position our Captain created. Not a promotion but more of a lateral move by taking one of the floor supervisor spots to focus on collateral/ancillary duties so the floor supervisors can focus on floor operations. Scheduling, stats, QA Program, compliant investigations, system upgrades, SME on how equipment and policy changes affect the floor, and “other duties as assigned”.

Daytime, some flexibility in hours and a mostly 4/10 schedule with Sat/Sun/Mon furloughs. I will no longer be “essential personnel”. That means I get holidays off (won’t miss working New Years Eve and July 4th at all!). Also when it snows a 1/2”, crippling the Seattle metro area, and the County/City/Courts all shut down I’ll get a free day off instead of being required to report regardless.

I’ve been in a bit of a rut for the past few years, looking forward to doing something different.

Oh, and the best part is after 23 years of shared work space at the floor supervisors podium and one of eight sharing the supervisors office with individual lockers and two communal desks, I get an honest to God office of my very own!

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10930 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Congrats!!!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing but good there!

(As a non KCSO guy but local, I know how overloaded you guys are!)

Bill R

Posts: 1121 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good move for you. To bad it doesn't come with an increase in salary.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's great! Perfect schedule IMHO at 4x 10's. 27 years, you've certainly earned it.

In that position I'd be stoked for this kind of "lateral" move. Working days and getting 3 day weekends every week would be worth quite a bit of salary increase to me.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
that shiny thing you'll be seeing in the skY? It's normal, don't worry about it.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Congrats! You’ve certainly earned it!

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Congrats on this change!

I’ve seen our local 911 folks in-action; after as long as you’ve worked in that role, I bet this change will be like gold!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mikus36
posted Hide Post
Congrats - It will take a bit of time transition to the day shift -you get used to it -
Enjoy the week -ends and Holidays !!

"It's a Bill of Rights - Not a Bill of Needs"
The World is a combustible Place

Posts: 353 | Location: Washington | Registered: April 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Daytime, some flexibility in hours and a mostly 4/10 schedule with Sat/Sun/Mon furloughs.

If it works with the other schedules, consider requesting Sat/Sun/Weds off. I had that shift for a couple years on 4/10s, and absolutely loved it. Work a couple days, get a break; work a couple more days, get a longer break. Fully half of your workdays are "Fridays".

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the kind words...

While technically no “raise”, a 20% reduction in commuting costs works out to about 4300 fewer miles driven and 100+ hours of my time annually.

I’ll take that any day!

Posts: 10930 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Congrats.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
Congrats....welcome to the daylight....You no longer, have to worry about becoming a vampire Big Grin

Posts: 3119 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I don't know whether to congratulate you or not.

I loved night shift. I used to do six straight 12-hour nights and had eight day off. Best schedule I've ever had.

It did take me years to convert back to a day schedule though. Something about the night....

Posts: 20083 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Sounds like it will be a great change for you!

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

I loved night shift. I used to do six straight 12-hour nights and had eight day off. Best schedule I've ever had.

It did take me years to convert back to a day schedule though. Something about the night....

This for me too... I guess congratulations if you are happy with days. I'd probably have quit if they told me I was going all days.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2736 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

What was it like drinking other peoples blood for food?

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
the money may be lateral, but the perks are the big good news

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Awesome !

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Of our current nine supervisors (10 FTE, we currently have one vacancy) I am #2 in seniority.

Back when I was #4 (about seven years ago) I was consistent Dayshifter. We pick shifts by
Seniority and #1 always took Graves (2230-0630), #2 never picks anything but Swings (1430-2230), #3 wounds go between Days and Graves, so I always was able to get my first pick of Days.

I used to give #1 a lot of crap about “wasting” her pick on Graves. After she retired, when #3 and #5 were on Graves, #5 had a “personnel issue” that necessitated moving him to another shift and they asked for a volunteer to go to Graves while that was sorted out before mandating the junior supervisor to the spot (which would have created a need from someone from Days to go to Swings to replace her).

I decided I would go as I was in a funk over some admin issues and a few problem employees on the shift I was tired of dealing with. Turned out, Graves wasn’t half bad when you kids are grown and gone and you can “commit” to the schedule and not have to wrestle things like soccer practice, school teacher conferences, etc. All those years I gave #1 crap and turned out she was smarter than I gave her credit for.

Yes, from an “Operational” perspective, Graves is a more fulfilling shift. “Better” calls, fewer people, fewer problem employees, fewer bothersome citizens, not having to buzz the door for vendors/deliveries, and handling all the boring stuff. However on a slow night it can be one lonnnnngggg shift. Lots of down time spent web surfing, socializing with coworkers, BS’ing with coworkers, and wasting Comp or Vacation time leaving early because there is just nothing to do.

Going to the Admin job though is for all intents and purposes, like a brand new job. I will have very little to do with operations, mostly projects and assignments. We get paid pretty well (just slightly into 6-figure range annually) and, to be honest, when on Graves there are times I look at my check and think I am seriously ripping off the taxpayers. Then I realize that being in a reactive position, I am not necessarily paid for what I do so much as for what I know and can do if needed.

This move will change that as I will be going from a reactive position to a productive position. I expect there will be little to no work time web surfing except during lunch break.

I hit the ground running Tuesday morning with no less than five projects, four of which are “new”:
-QA review process we need to start up,
-Regional radio system hardware install upgrade in the center
-Call Answering statistics/analysis being restarted after going several years without
-Center representative to a multi jurisdictional Counter terrorism work group
-Operations shift scheduling (has been one of my collateral duties for several years)

When I got to work Tuesday night I opened email to find I had already been assigned my first complaint investigation as well. Low level complaint (major investigations handled by IIU) but none the less part of the new job and the employee involved is a long time problem child so everything needs to be done “right”.

So basically to sum it up, yup - I will miss Graves to a point. But even though I am going to Days the “stuff” I didn’t like about Days won’t be my problem, it will be the Days Operations Supervisors Wink

Looking forward to the change and challenge after all this time...