SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Silver Dollar Condition
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Silver Dollar Condition Login/Join 
Picture of wingspar
posted
Went thru a few rolls of silver dollars today that I inherited from my father who passed away in 1988. Dates ranged from 1922 to 1928, most 1922 and 1923. Below is a photo of one of them. How would the coin collectors in the forum rate this coin? Condition of the rest of the coins, 100 in total, are different, mostly in coloration.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Circulated. "Fair."

Sell for less than spot.

Silver is trading at $18/oz now.

Maybe worth a little more for numismatic value.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
The local coin place I do business at would buy that coin for $13.25 and sell it for $15.50 at today's prices.

Condition is only mildly important on common dates.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
Circulated. "Fair."

H&K-Guy

I'm going to have to disagree with my friend, here. No way this coin is graded "Fair".

Definition of a "Fair" graded coin - You can barely make out the type and date of coin and the coin is damaged or extremely worn. There may be holes, it might be bent, etc.
https://www.coin-collecting-gu...n-grading-scale.html

You can tell that this Peace dollar ain't nowhere near "Fair", even if you don't know that Peace dollars are notoriously not well struck to begin with. Only the high relief ones from 1921 and 1922 are very well defined. The remaining years, even in uncirculated conditions, are just ho hum.

OP's coin, if it has not been cleaned, appears to have some mint luster present still. So, a minimum of XF/EF-45 grade is what I would assign to it.

OP also mentioned most of the rest of the coins are "in coloration" that I will interpret as toned coins. And very likely naturally toned coins, as these old coins tend to tone, many spectacularly, from being stored away in some drawer for many years. Many coin collectors tend to pay a premium for beautifully toned coins.

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bullion.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
It’s been some time since I’ve been in the numismatic hobby, but I too would grade out this specimen at Extremely Fine (XF-45), has bag marks on surface. And yes, the Peace Dollar series suffer from notoriously weak die strikes.

Based upon “Coin Trackers”, a 1923-P (Philadelphia, no mint mark at tail feathers) would retail for about $25 if bought from a coin dealer; dealer would probably offer to buy at $18 to $20 (they have to make a profit, ya know).

Here’s more about valuation on Peace Dollars. http://cointrackers.com/coins/...eace-dollar/#details

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Q,

Fair, or FR-2 is described as "mostly worn, though some detail is visible."

I guess I don't fully understand the grading scale, then. I can accept that.

I do have hundreds of these coins and some are graded similarly to the OP's coin.

I'm sorry if I got it wrong.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Morgans will sell for a couple of dollars more than Peace's, so keep that in mind.

Posts: 2515 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that a 1928 Philly (no mint mark) could be worth a lot more, due to a very low quantity minted.

Silver dollars make me go full Scrooge McDuck.

Posts: 1350 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ichi-go ichi-e
Picture of Underworld2086
posted Hide Post

Posts: 696 | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’ve always thought the Peace Dollar to be the most beautifully designed silver dollar coin the US has minted. My opinion as an uneducated oaf.

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I would hold on to them as they will increase in value as gold and silver prices rise. The nation debt is now over $125T.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Three comments:
1. If you want to sell, I suggest to visit at least 3 coin dealers for quotes.
2. If you have no need for cash, hold them as silver price is low at this time.
3. Most important ... go and buy the small plastic coin envelopes and store each coin separately to avoid any further scratching/marring, finger prints/skin oils. Condition is EVERYTHING.

My comments are based on experience of sorting/selling literally thousands of coins after my mother passed away.

Semper Fidelis

Posts: 119 | Location: Missouri | Registered: August 01, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Definition of a "Fair" graded coin - You can barely make out the type and date of coin and the coin is damaged or extremely worn. There may be holes, it might be bent, etc.
https://www.coin-collecting-gu...n-grading-scale.html

Thank you for the link and info. Very helpful.

---------------
Gary

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
It’s been some time since I’ve been in the numismatic hobby, but I too would grade out this specimen at Extremely Fine (XF-45), has bag marks on surface. And yes, the Peace Dollar series suffer from notoriously weak die strikes.

Based upon “Coin Trackers”, a 1923-P (Philadelphia, no mint mark at tail feathers) would retail for about $25 if bought from a coin dealer; dealer would probably offer to buy at $18 to $20 (they have to make a profit, ya know).

Here’s more about valuation on Peace Dollars. http://cointrackers.com/coins/...eace-dollar/#details

I appreciate the info. Smile

---------------
Gary

Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
Silver dollars make me go full Scrooge McDuck.

ROFL

---------------
Gary

Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
I appreciate all the replies. Thank you. I don’t have the need for cash and probably won’t sell them at this point in time. I was mostly curious as to their value. This is the first time they have been handled since my father put them in the rolls they are in now and he passed in 1988 and I have no idea when he last handled them. We put them back in the rolls and sealed them back up.

Here is a photo of one of the other coins that is a little tarnished, or has good patina.

---------------
Gary

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Lovely

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post