SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Colorado carjacker shot by armed citizen in Pike National Forest UPDATED JULY 12
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colorado carjacker shot by armed citizen in Pike National Forest UPDATED JULY 12 Login/Join 
posted
I'm sure this will be the lead story on the evening news...

https://www.denverpost.com/201...jack-rifle-shooting/

Carjack suspect drives to Devil’s Head, brandishes rifle before being shot by camper
Suspect, shot multiple times, was taken to local hospital

By KIERAN NICHOLSON | knicholson@denverpost.com | The Denver Post
July 2, 2018 at 10:53 pm

A man suspected of a carjacking in El Paso County allegedly drove the stolen vehicle to the Devil’s Head Campground in Douglas County, brandishing a rifle and threatening a camper, who then shot the suspect, the sheriff’s office said.

The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office was notified of the car jacking at about 2:10 p.m. Monday, according to a news release.

The 29-year-old suspect drove the stolen vehicle into the Pike National Forest “shooting at passing vehicles,” the release said. The armed suspect stopped at the campground and approached a camper. A confrontation ensued and the suspect pointed a rifle at the camper, who then shot the suspect, according to the sheriff’s office.

The suspect, who was not identified, was shot multiple times. He was taken to a local hospital in stable condition, according to the release.

No one else was injured in the incident. The suspect will face charges in Douglas and El Paso counties, which will likely include attempted murder and felony menacing, the sheriff’s office said.

The campground will be closed on Tuesday as investigators process the scene. Drivers are asked to avoid the area as traffic is being rerouted.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigmund,

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I carry a 45 win mag when I go camping. Several shots with that would yield a corpse.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Seems like the good guy might need to spend more time on the range.

Of course the outcome was good, would have been better if bad guy's body was now at room temp.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
My new camping/back country piece is ordered and otw to the dealer...

TALO DISTRIBUTOR EXCLUSIVE
MODEL NUMBER: 1780
CALIBER: 10MM AUTO

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I wonder how many more would-be carjackers will be shot, before they get the message?

I personally know three Armed Citizens who thwarted carjackers. One of them shot and hit a guy who escaped and ran, leaving a trail of blood drops.

Another friend rolled out of the driver's door of a Yukon while drawing. The miscreant changed his mind and fled.

A third acquaintance was driving a cab. Passenger pulled a knife. Driver said, "Be cool, I'm reaching for my wallet." Instead of a wallet he produced a pistol. Bad guy dropped the knife and actually crapped in his pants. He exited and ran.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wreckless:
My new camping/back country piece is ordered and otw to the dealer...

TALO DISTRIBUTOR EXCLUSIVE
MODEL NUMBER: 1780
CALIBER: 10MM AUTO

Wow, that's HUGE!!! It nigh-on fills my 27" screen!!!

tac

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OMCHamlin:
Damn! "Shot multiple times", but not sent to his "great reward"! We have GOT to improve stopping power, especially when it comes to things like this...

Should have shot him in the eye - any eye will do just fine.

tac

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I carry a 45 win mag when I go camping. Several shots with that would yield a corpse.
A very good choice (my .50AE might be better).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few more details. The armed bad guy's luck ran out when camper #4 refused to be a victim and shot back.

It sounds like this took place in the mountains west of Colorado Springs.

https://gazette.com/news/devil...6a-b7eab06fee18.html

Devil’s Head campsites closed after carjacker shooting at campers is shot

By: Tatiana Parafiniuk-Talesnick
Jul 3, 2018 Updated 36 min ago

Police are reporting that a man stole a car in El Paso County, drove into the Pike National Forest and shot at passing vehicles Monday afternoon. They say after he stopped the vehicle at a Devil’s Head Campground and approached a camper with his rifle pointed at him, the camper fired and shot the suspect.

The suspect sustained multiple gunshot wounds and when police arrived he was moved to a hospital. Police say he is in stable condition.

The identity of the suspect has not yet been released.

So far, there have been no reports of other people injured in this incident.

EL Paso County Sheriff reports that at approximately 12:20 pm Monday, they responded to a report of a car theft in progress in the 9000 block of Rampart Range Road.

The victim reported to police they were traveling on Rampart Range Road when they were flagged down by a male approximately 20-30 years of age, standing next to a blue Mazda station wagon with a blown rear tire. The victim said they sped away from the scene when they saw the suspect had a gun.

The suspect then re-entered his vehicle and drove northbound on Rampart Range Road. Police say that while driving on Rampart Range Road, the suspect encountered two other victims who he flashed his weapon at. According to second victim, the suspect shot in their direction. The third victim stated the suspect pulled the trigger on the firearm but the gun did not fire.

Police say the suspect continued driving and shot at passing vehicles. He ultimately stopped near Devils Head Campground and approached the camper with a rifle. A confrontation ensued when the suspect pointed the rifle at the camper and the camper fired.

The suspect will face charges out of Douglas County and will also have charges out of El Paso County. Douglas County charges will likely include attempted murder and felony menacing, after consultation with the 18th Judicial District Attorney's Office - Colorado.

All campsites from Devil's Head and south will be closed today and tomorrow, at least. There is no way for through traffic from Douglas County to El Paso County.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Damn! "Shot multiple times", but not sent to his "great reward"! We have GOT to improve stopping power, especially when it comes to things like this...

I'm guessing the camper had a .22lr. We used to go camping years ago, and that's all we brought.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
Seems like the good guy might need to spend more time on the range.

Of course the outcome was good, would have been better if bad guy's body was now at room temp.

Hard to practice an adrenaline dump.

http://cfif.org/v/index.php/co...nly-hit-1-in-5-shots

Here’s a statistic likely to surprise most Americans: Police officers’ hit ratio, meaning the percentage of shots fired that meet the intended target, is approximately 20%.

In other words, even those whose very profession demands accuracy and constant preparation only hit 1 out of 5 shots when the situation requires it. Some 80% of shots thus miss their target.

A 2010 NYPD estimate is even lower, suggesting a hit ratio of just 11% to 17%.

Posts: 12580 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Good job on the part of the camper who at least had a gun and the will and competence to use it.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:

I'm guessing the camper had a .22lr. We used to go camping years ago, and that's all we brought.

Might be a lucky guess though in the almost 35 years I’ve been camping and hiking in Colorado everyone I know or have met have larger caliber firearms as the norm.

Hope the camper comes out of this legally alright and has a support network of friends/families/professionals available.

Posts: 1840 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:

flashguy

LAR Grizzly? Smile

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
I just got home from there last week! I showed this to my wife when she said to me, “Why you taking that with you on vacation” She does get it, but in her defense, it is a pain in the ass declaring your gun in the NY/NJ airports. The Port Authority PD have to come and get all your info and inspect the gun. You do need to add some extra time for the process. Leaving Denver was simple! Here, please sign this red card and place in your luggage!

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:

flashguy

LAR Grizzly? Smile
Yep.

grizzly50
by David Casteel, on Flickr
Even if I missed (unlikely), the perp would have to run home to change his pants...!

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:

Should have shot him in the eye - any eye will do just fine.

tac

Easier said than done under real world conditions.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:

Here’s a statistic likely to surprise most Americans: Police officers’ hit ratio, meaning the percentage of shots fired that meet the intended target, is approximately 20%.

In other words, even those whose very profession demands accuracy and constant preparation only hit 1 out of 5 shots when the situation requires it. Some 80% of shots thus miss their target.

A 2010 NYPD estimate is even lower, suggesting a hit ratio of just 11% to 17%.

It's well established that police, as a general statistic, miss four out of five shots, and that's hard to fathom for those who shoot a lot.

Bear in mind that most police don't.

There are police who do, and whom I wager would be unlikely to ever miss.

Not all police are "gun guys." Many shoot only when required to qualify or train and no more. It's reasonable to expect that under stress, someone who shoots twice a year at a paper target is going to be at the lower end of mediocre, and shooting encounters bear that out. Add to that stress, moving, live targets shooting back, unpredictable circumstances...and the fact that a uniformed officer shows up wearing a big target, and all the punching paper values go right out the window.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sns3guppy,

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The armed camper who stopped the guy was a retired Alabama LEO with two ARs:

https://www.9news.com/article/...dom-people/572102809

Retired officer used 2 AR-15s to stop man accused of firing at random people
The suspect is accused of randomly fire at campers off Rampart Range Road last week

Author: Allison Sylte

Published: 2:09 PM MDT July 9, 2018
Updated: 2:38 PM MDT July 9, 2018

KUSA – A retired officer from Alabama was the person who shot a man Douglas County deputies said was pointing a gun and firing at random people on a multi-county crime spree, according to an arrest affidavit obtained by 9NEWS.

The suspect, identified as Austin Benson, now faces six charges for attempted first-degree murder as well as one count of attempted aggravated robbery. Prior to last week’s incident, the 29-year-old did not have a previous criminal history in Colorado outside of a 2008 arrest for obstructing a Denver police officer and possessing drug paraphernalia, court records indicate.

Benson’s alleged crime spree ended the afternoon of July 2 at a campsite off Rampart Range Road. According to the affidavit, the retired officer told police he had been camping with his wife when he heard a man believed to be Benson yelling.

The retired officer said when he went to speak with Benson, the man told him “to get him water and that the law was after him.” According to the affidavit, Benson had a rifle in his left hand at the time and was pointing it at the retired officer.

The affidavit said the retired officer went into his camper and gave his wife a handgun, telling her to take cover. He then took an AR-15 out of the camper and went outside, ordering Benson to drop his gun, according to the affidavit.

Benson, however, started to drive away and began shooting at the retired officer and his camper. This prompted the officer to return fire. According to the affidavit, Benson crashed into a tree.

When the retired officer thought he had fired all of the ammunition in his AR-15, he told deputies he set it in the bed of his truck and took out a second AR-15. According to the affidavit, the retired officer told deputies that he fired one more shot to see if Benson would react since he didn’t see any movement in his car.

That’s when Manitou Springs police officers arrived to begin their investigation. Benson had been shot in the arm and face.

It was the culmination of a tense incident that began with a carjacking call a short time before that.

According to the affidavit, Benson’s vehicle was headed north on Rampart Range Road toward the Douglas County line. Along the way, deputies said he was shooting at other vehicles with a pistol.

His shots hit multiple tires, but no one was injured, according to the affidavit. One of the victims was a man who had been camping in the area with his wife and grandchildren.

That victim told police that Benson was parked in the middle of Rampart Range Road at one point and that his side rear tire was blown out. When the family drove by, the witness told police that Benson fired one round at them.

They all ducked, and the only thing hit by the gunfire was a tire.

The vehicle Benson was driving had initially been referred to as stolen, but deputies later said that he had permission to drive it.

It’s unclear what prompted the shooting spree to begin with.

© 2018 KUSA-TV

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
When the retired officer thought he had fired all of the ammunition in his AR-15, he told deputies he set it in the bed of his truck and took out a second AR-15.
Say what? Would someone please explain this to me?

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post