SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any FJ Owners?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any FJ Owners? Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have an opportunity to bring one home Monday. If you have one, or have had one, what are your opinions?

Go for it!
My brother has had one for a long time. Almost a cult following, kind of like jeeps.

Yes, poor visibility but you;ll get used to it.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23949 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Got me all excited, thought we had another Yamaha FJ09 owner on board... Razz

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Are you referring to an FJ Cruiser or a true FJ40??
Big difference.

FJ1200 Big Grin

Yep, mine's a red and white 1986. First year for the 1200.

Posts: 10828 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm on my second one. Had a first year 2007 which I sold in 2013 for a ridiculous amount of money with 80K miles on it, to a dealer salesman - private sale. He came by after a visit to the dealer to get a $20 rubber molding piece. Literally kept laying $100 bills in the table until I couldnt say no any longer.

I went that same day and bought the last year of import 2014 Trail Team edition. Best vehicle Ive ever owned.

Gas mileage, not so much. You dont by an FJ for gas mileage any more than you do an F250.

We just bought Mrs Bigredfish a 2018 loaded Jeep Sahara Wrangler. The FJ will likely be in the driveway when they bury me,... the Jeep, meh.

Posts: 2689 | Location: Orlando Area | Registered: February 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

We just bought Mrs Bigredfish a 2018 loaded Jeep Sahara Wrangler. The FJ will likely be in the driveway when they bury me,... the Jeep, meh.

A man after my own heart! Big Grin

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10 November, 1775
Picture of MarinetoRN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Are you referring to an FJ Cruiser or a true FJ40??
Big difference.

It's an FJ Cruiser. I don't know anything about a FJ 40.

SiGArm'd

P220ST X2, 1911 Revolution, P245, P229 RTTEQ/ST .40 X2, P226ST, Mosquito
Other weaponry not SIG

Glocks are ugly.
I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders.

Posts: 2471 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: August 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10 November, 1775
Picture of MarinetoRN
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone for your input. We'll see what Monday brings.

SiGArm'd

P220ST X2, 1911 Revolution, P245, P229 RTTEQ/ST .40 X2, P226ST, Mosquito
Other weaponry not SIG

Glocks are ugly.
I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders.

Posts: 2471 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: August 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We bought a 4Runner in 2012 after our xterra was totaled. Drive the FJ quite a bit and the blind spots and rear seat killed the deal. We have 2 small and growing kids.

if I was single id reconsider. The rumor was Toyota was going to go a convertible like the Original FJ 40 but they killed the model altogether instead. One of those with a chopped roof and full cage and bikini top would sell a ton. IMO.

Posts: 4738 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Sorry if I offend but The Toyota Cruiser was a strange offering from Toyota. It’s launch was filled with statements promising about the Landcruiser being back but the vehicle they actually launched had virtually nothing in commmon with the original FJ Series of Landcruiser vehicles besides the white top, being able to wash the tub out with a hose and the headlight rings. It had a pretty flat reception or at least certainly not one that you would hope for with the return of a classic. Many former owners stayed away and sales of the Cruiser were disappointing during its entire model life.

Toyota wasted a great opportunity IMO. No visibility. No fun factor. Not able to remove the top. Modest off-road capabilities. No historical engineering or visual cues to the original.

All of this naturally resulted in limited aftermarket support for the vehicle.

Ignominious ending for a former classic.....

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
When the FJ Cruiser first came out they were all over Moab. It was tempting but I would probably prefer an older fj40 (~82) after I win the lotto of course.

https://youtu.be/dTwEaxrsLG0

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you checked out the FJ Cruiser forum (fjcruiserforums.com)? Don't know how much research you've done on the one you're looking at, or how much you want to do, but there is good information there including an informative buyers' guide in the vehicles for sale section. Poster's handle is "jimmy-buffett"

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
I have owned four of the original FJ-40's. The fourth one is a 1977 that I am doing a frame off restoration. They are incredible vehicles and have gone through the roof in value, some going as high as low six figures.

The FJ is a milder, albeit more comfortable, vehicle. Have fun.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post