SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any FJ Owners?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any FJ Owners? Login/Join 
10 November, 1775
Picture of MarinetoRN
posted
I've always admired those vehicles. I have an opportunity to bring one home Monday. If you have one, or have had one, what are your opinions?

SiGArm'd

P220ST X2, 1911 Revolution, P245, P229 RTTEQ/ST .40 X2, P226ST, Mosquito
Other weaponry not SIG

Glocks are ugly.
I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders.

Posts: 2471 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: August 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Test drove one and spoke to a really good friend about hers.

The thing breeds blind spots and is not built to be driven in places where you need to worry about blind spots or other vehicles. (Her description)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ive had a 2007 since mid-2008. Solid, capable and reliable. I don't drive it a lot, only about 65K miles, but really like it. Maybe a smudge small, sometimes I wonder if a 4Runner would have been a better choice.

I'd buy it again. Hope that helps.

Posts: 367 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Are you referring to an FJ Cruiser or a true FJ40??
Big difference.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I test drove one. It was solid, but the posting about blind spots is dead on. Very poor visibility.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
BigRedFish has one.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I’ve had a 2007 since 2008. 145,000 miles. Have had to replace one coil pack and just replace the original battery last year. It’s stock and 4wd is excellent. Yep, it’s has blind spots. No, I ha met wrecked it because of blind spots but my wife might if it was hers to drive. If I ever have to buy another vehicle I’d want another FJ. If I couldn’t get an FJ I’d get a 4runner. Oh, factory CD changer and radio are crap.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Are you referring to an FJ Cruiser or a true FJ40??
Big difference.

FJ1200 Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I wanted one so badly, but the suicide doors and the poor fuel mileage kept me from pushing the button on one.

I would have gotten one for sure if they had a diesel option, but it never happened.

At this very time, I'd go for a 4Runner TRD Pro over one just because of those stupid suicide doors.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1171 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one. 2007 with 116,000 miles on it now. I am the second owner. I bought it in the spring of 2015. Bought it from our local Toyota dealer. All the service from the previous owner was done there as well. Absolutely love it!!!! Goes through anything. Sat outside this winter when the windchills got to about 36-40 below zero. Started everytime without a stutter. Still has a Toyota battery in it.

The only thing I have had done with it is new brakes and the obvious oil and fluid changes. Thing is bulletproof. Everytime I take it Toyota for it’s service they want to buy the thing. They sell around here quickly and for good money. In fact I drove it to the Toyota dealer when we were buying the wife a new Highlander and our salesman liked it so much he bought one that came in on trade that day. Not kidding you.

Yes, there are blind spots but, lots of vehicles do. Don’t worry about it and put your head in a swivel.

I have no regrets and have no plans to sell it.

Get it. You will not regret it.

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one for a while. loved it except the suicide doors. Was a lot of fun to drive

"Dyin ain't much of a livin...boy"

Posts: 317 | Location: West (By GOD) Virginia | Registered: November 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a prior owner, my two cents. As others have mentioned, prepare yourself for the blind spots. The second row seating isn’t really suited for adults. Kids, yes. Or do like I did and leave them folded down flat for a nice cargo area. Gas mileage was “meh”. That said, me and my buddies road tripped in it from Texas to Colorado for a ski trip. No complaints there, and it handled like a champ in the mountains and snow.

Is there a cool factor? Yup. They’re cool.

Posts: 489 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
FJs have held their value well. The only vehicle I regret not buying new. The ones around here have high mileage and high prices.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Former owner. This is before I sold it:

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife has had hers for 10 years. No wrecks due to blind spots. No issues of any kind, except getting hail damage repaired. A couple body parts needed replacement due to excessive hail damage. The parts were hard to find. Her repair bill, or the insurance company, was around $9K. The insurance company wanted to total it. Fortunately these vehicles hold there value. I told them to find one in as good of shape as hers for less than $18K. Apparently they couldn’t so they paid to repair. So you might want to ask your insurance company about covering these vehicles.

Oh, and the damn windshields crack easy.
And, gas mileage is bad for its size.

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Mrs DF has one. It is reliable and stable. There are a few quirks, blind spots and the trim is 300.00 if it breaks while replacing the windshield (almost every time). And replace the windshield you will because of its angle. It's a rock magnet. Suicide doors require extra effort to close from the back seat. The recirculation button resets to outside air whenever it wants. Oil filter changes require a yogurt cup to catch spillage which is unavoidable when removing the filter. Three wipers to replace up front. A bit more road noise without carpet. Rear door catch makes two armed grocery removal and door closing next to impossible.

If you can live with all of that, they are super fun and kool vehicles.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29699 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think they are a lot like Jeeps in the sense that if you like them you will put up with their quirks/weaknesses for the benefits and the things you like about them. In my completely biased opinion (I have owned/own four Toyotas; two Corollas, two 4x4 trucks)though, the comparison ends there because it's worth it for a Toyota, but not for a Jeep. Toyota, especially Toyota trucks (which include FJ's) did not get their reputation for reliability and longevity without good reason.

More directly, to the point of OP's question, should he bring one home Monday, my answer is, YES! MarinetoRN... think of it this way: you are interested enough to ask about it, and my guess is you really do want it. They are scarce and hard to come by, and hold their resale value very well. Jump on this opportunity, and if you decide you don't like it after all, you can sell it.

Aside: I don't like to think of the mayhem I might have caused to get ahold of henryaz's FJ pictured above. Beautiful beast. Yeah, I like Toyota 4x4's.

EDIT: My "buy it" suggestion is, of course, assuming it's in good shape, reasonable mileage, acceptable price; same standards you'd apply to any used vehicle.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Had a ‘76 FJ40 as a kid.

The reincarnation drove and handled well I thought, albeit a bit underpowered IMO. But it was like driving in a barrel .... can’t see anything but forward. Heartbreaking for me as I really wanted to love it.

Eventually bought a JKU and am very happy.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Jump on it! I have owned a 2010 I bought new in February 2011. Current mileage is about 130K. So far no issues. My only complaint is that it has been discontinued and I can't buy a new one.

As for the blind spots, you quickly become used to them and learn how to use the oversized side mirror. I don't find them to be an issue.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2387 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I do not thing that the blind spots are such a big deal. Many people, me included, drive trucks with no glass at all aft of the windows in the front seat doors. My delivery truck is a cargo box on GMC 3500 running gear. Big mirror on each side. The FJ had a fair amount of glass. Yes, couple of blind spots, but that's what mirrors are for.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post